Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,376,614 times

Advertisements

Impressive for a non-border state of 5 million inhabitants !

Old 03-24-2011, 01:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Impressive for a non-border state of 5 million inhabitants !
The demographcs are undeniable. The US will inexorably, and not-so-gradually, become a majority hispanic Spanish speaking country.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The demographcs are undeniable. The US will inexorably, and not-so-gradually, become a majority hispanic Spanish speaking country.
More likely a bi-lingual Spanish/English speaking country since much of the rest of the world uses English for business. Since we're more wired together via the internet I anticipate English will remain the common language we use in the workplace. However, they should probably start requiring kids to take both languages in school.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 AM

352 posts, read 797,971 times
My daughter was in an immersion, bilingual public school program in Boulder from K-5. Half of the students in the "Escuela" were native English speakers; half native Spanish speakers. She continued a similar track through middle school, continued with her Spanish in high school, and just declared Spanish as her minor in college. She's not totally fluent yet, still struggles with verb conjugations (!) but she learned from native Spanish-speaking teachers and has a wonderful accent that will open doors for her for the rest of her life. Hands down, one of the best aspects of her education.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
I had 3 years of Spanish during my high school days in the 60s. Wish I'd have taken it more seriously. Having a second language ( any language ) is a good skill to possess. I'm tossing around the idea of spending at least part of the year living in a Spansih speaking country like Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, or even Ecuador. Knowing how to speak Spanish would come in handy. Except for Ecuador, there are well established expat communities in those countries, but hanging out exclusively with other expats would defeat the purpose of living in a different culture...but ya gotta know Spanish to get out and mingle with the locals.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,659,040 times
I personally know alot of Hispanics who are very Americanized, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and your average working American White man or woman. When I was in high school there was other people my age i could tell were either from another country or first generation American, and they would speak Spanish with their other Hispanic(mostly Mexican though) friends. But if I ever talked to them they knew how to speak English. Some had a heavy accent from where they came from, but I could still clearly understand them. The only thing they wouldn't know is some of the American slang words, and I would tell them what it meant. One of the priests at my church is also from Mexico, he has a heavy accent, but knows how to speak English very well. Thats my 2 cents.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 AM

331 posts, read 990,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I had 3 years of Spanish during my high school days in the 60s. Wish I'd have taken it more seriously.
Same here. I took 2 years of it in middle school, and 2 years in high school. I didn't have any Spanish-speaking friends (still don't), and moved to Vermont, where the common languages are English and French. I don't care for French, but love Spanish. I wish I'd have stuck with it. Many of my neighbors now speak Spanish, and it'd be nice to be able to have a conversation with them, even if it's mostly small-talk.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
My best buddy in the Air Force was a second generation Mexican kid from California. I loved that guy. He was a great friend. We had some really good times together at Keesler AFB in MS, but then we both got restationed to different bases and we lost contact with each other. I often wonder if he is still alive, and if so, what is he up to.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
When I was in school in Pennsylvania, I took French. We were not *that* far from Canada (the port of Erie, PA flies the Canadian flag), and Jackie Kennedy made speaking French very "chic".

My kids rebelled against the idea that all Coloradans should speak Spansh, and took French and German, respectively. Now they'd like to learn Spanish.

DH took Spanish in high school in Nebraska, but he can't reall converse with someone in Spanish.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I had 3 years of Spanish during my high school days in the 60s. Wish I'd have taken it more seriously. Having a second language ( any language ) is a good skill to possess. I'm tossing around the idea of spending at least part of the year living in a Spansih speaking country like Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, or even Ecuador. Knowing how to speak Spanish would come in handy. Except for Ecuador, there are well established expat communities in those countries, but hanging out exclusively with other expats would defeat the purpose of living in a different culture...but ya gotta know Spanish to get out and mingle with the locals.
Interesting that you think it wise to learn the language of the country you are going to. What an original thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado