Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,786 times

Advertisements

Like many other Californians I'm looking to get out. The crime,expensive housing, congestion and quality of life here is getting to me. Its turning into a mini LA. Tried Florida, the beaches were beautiful, but with the low wages,expensive medical insurance and property taxes we were somewhat in the same boat financially. I've been looking at Parker, Castle Rock, and Ft. Collins. I work for Kaiser Permanente and I need to transfer so I want to be no more than 30 mins away commute-wise. My husband is a Personal Trainer and can get on with Gold's Gym or Bally's. We have a son who is 5 years old and plan for one more. I want to live somewhere my neighbors actually say "hello." Low crime is very important to me, as well as great schools, lots of outdoor recreation, a sense of community and affordable houses ($200-350k). I know there will be snow, but I'd like to live where the majority of the time it melts within a few days or so.I actually would love a white christmas. We are taking a trip out there in October, and again in December. We'd like to be out of Cali within a year, but don't want to have to come back again.So wherever we end up is where we are going to stay.Any advice or thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,960,333 times
There are so many great places in Colorado and all the towns you mentioned above are great locations. I can tell you about Ft Collins/Loveland area since I live here. You would have no problem finding a very nice family home in your price range. You could choose just about any nieghborhood for that money. The school systems here are very good. There are several up and coming smaller communities around Ft Collins that I would choose if I had school age children. Towns like Wellington, Timnath, Severance, Windsor are all family oriented communities. You will not believe how friendly people are out here. There are many lakes, hiking, biking, and entertainment for the whole family to enjoy here. Crime rate is considerably low for the population. As far as the snow goes we have our mild winters and our hard winters. Last year was a very hard winter. The snow hung around for ever. The good news is that at the end of the season we have the most beautiful snow falls here. It will snow very hard and by the end of the day be gone. If you can make it a month or two through the bad stuff you will have no problem adjusting here. Your husband would have no problem finding a job here. One of the big gyms here in town is called The Pulse. There are many other gyms though. Fitness is a very big part of the community. Just so you know I live in Wellington and I know, and am friends with, every one of my neighbors. It is a very secure and comfortable feeling.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
There are so many great places in Colorado and all the towns you mentioned above are great locations. I can tell you about Ft Collins/Loveland area since I live here. You would have no problem finding a very nice family home in your price range. You could choose just about any nieghborhood for that money. The school systems here are very good. There are several up and coming smaller communities around Ft Collins that I would choose if I had school age children. Towns like Wellington, Timnath, Severance, Windsor are all family oriented communities. You will not believe how friendly people are out here. There are many lakes, hiking, biking, and entertainment for the whole family to enjoy here. Crime rate is considerably low for the population. As far as the snow goes we have our mild winters and our hard winters. Last year was a very hard winter. The snow hung around for ever. The good news is that at the end of the season we have the most beautiful snow falls here. It will snow very hard and by the end of the day be gone. If you can make it a month or two through the bad stuff you will have no problem adjusting here. Your husband would have no problem finding a job here. One of the big gyms here in town is called The Pulse. There are many other gyms though. Fitness is a very big part of the community. Just so you know I live in Wellington and I know, and am friends with, every one of my neighbors. It is a very secure and comfortable feeling.
Thank you for your speedy reply!!! Just wondering if you know how close the nearest Kaiser might be to those areas, and are these areas on the "front range," I've heard it snows alot less there.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM

There is a Kaiser medical office in Longmont which is about 15 miles south of Loveland. We are located right along the I25 corridor and we do not get as much snow here as they do in the mountains. Although don't be fooled we still have pretty good winters. It is much easier to get around in the winter when you do not live in the mountains though. I found a contact for the Colorado Kaiser job office if you are interested. It is:
Colorado Regional Recruitment
Legacy Highlands
10065 East Harvard Avenue
Suite 400
Denver, CO 80231
Phone: (303) 614 1500
The main office is in Denver so if you were going to transfer to there it would be a longer commute than what it looks like you are willing to do. If you did live in Loveland I know that they just opened a gold's gym there. Just FYI

Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

U R awesome! Thanx alot for going out of your way. I will definetly utilize your leads.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM

U R Welcome! Glad to help out.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Can anyone shed light on the water sitsuation there in Colorado? How expensive is it? Why is there a shortage?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
Search my previous posts. I've written a lot about it.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 PM

106 posts, read 431,905 times
Another X-California, who moved here from the Sacramento area. We love it here. Great place.

Also we live in Firestone (South of Lovland/Ft. Collins also along the "I-25 corridor"), and we use Kaiser. Unfortunately Kaiser's present here is not nearly as large as it is in Ca, and their hospital is a contracted out one instead of ones like they have in Roseville, Sacramento, Elk Grove, etc...

There are several post about the Firestone area, take a look through those and see if it looks like an area you are interested in. I believe it meets most if not all your needs.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
Take a look at Grand Junction, located in western Colorado about 20 miles from the Utah border. I don't know if you can count on having a white Christmas every year, but we did have a white Christmas last year. Over all, we don't get alot of snow, but you can easily drive to it within a short distance. A new Golds Gym just opened up. Oh, and you should have no problem finding a home in your price range, but hurry becasue real estate is still experiencing double digit appreciation in this area.

happy searching....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado