Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM

345 posts, read 914,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think what happened to the OP is rude and uncalled for. There is a special hate reserved for NYers and other "easterners", including people from Pittsburgh (me) and for Californians and Texans. Plus, the midwesterners are generally dismissed as a bunch of rubes.

That said, it's not everybody who does this, and one on one, most people are very nice and don't care where you come from. I've heard, "you're OK for an easterner", which I find a backhanded compliment, but I just consider the source is uninformed.
If you are talking about here in CO hating NY'ers I disagree. I have not run into that being here 16 years. Yes hate for Texans and even more so for Californians but I have had none nor heard of any for us New Yorkers here.
I do not have an accent, but there will be a word or something I say where people at times ask me where I am from. Recently it happened to me at a grocery store I have gone to for over 5 years, I said a word and she asked me where I am from and I told her NY and she turns and says to me " I knew it!!" I was thinking no you did not since in 5 years you have never asked me or mentioned it.

One lady from Cali when I first moved here told me she was at Mt. Evans or somewhere and was feeding the wild sheep. Some guys yelled out of their car to her to go back to Cali!! She said to me " I wonder how they knew??"..... Jeez lady!

NY has it's good points and it's bad points like anywhere. For me it is cost and overcrowded, I cannot live upstate and would chew my arm off in boredom
~~livinslv I doubt even a 4th of the state of NY has left it, or else it would not be so damn crowded!
~~Mike my grandparents raised us all to be Damn Yankee fans even though they live 15 mins from the Mets Stadium lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,972,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
According to some of our "native" posters, there are almost no natives left here anyway, so chances are that the rude man was not a real Coloradan, but just another transplant from one of the rude places.
What the hell makes someone a "real" Coloradan? I've been to far more places in this state and know much more of its geography than almost all of my "native" friends and I'm a "transplant," even though because of my young age, the term "transplant" really no longer applies to me.

And yes, to the person a few posts back, I AM from here. Was I born here? No, but I started my teenage years here, graduated high school here, and in a few years I'll have graduated college here too. Damn straight I'm from Colorado!

That person who shouted at the OP was probably just a Red Sox fan who didn't mean much. I'd chill out, man. And I've never felt a hate for NY in this state. California and Texas only, as far as I've seen because they're everywhere. Nobody here cares about New York. I'm not sure where everyone is getting that idea from...

Last edited by Melanzana92; 07-06-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times
Kaqtiana wrote:
Gag me with a spoon, jazz. You can harldy say that all 5,700,000 people in Philadelphia have a bad attitude. I am from Pittsburgh myself and when I was growing up, we never even thought about Philadelphia, let alone had any opinions on Philadelphians.
Let me addd to that Kat. I grew up just 50 miles from Philly, and everything you wrote is true for me as well.

TonyVaz1009 wrote:
What the hell makes someone a "real" Coloradan? I've been to far more places in this state and know much more of its geography than almost all of my "native" friends and I'm a "transplant," even though because of my young age, the term "transplant" really no longer applies to me.
Hey Tony...perhaps a "real" Coloradan is one who has lived in Colorado their entire lifetime, with ancestery dating back to the Colorado pioneers who stole the land from the Native Americans. Now that's something to be "real" proud of.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
If you are talking about here in CO hating NY'ers I disagree. I have not run into that being here 16 years. Yes hate for Texans and even more so for Californians but I have had none nor heard of any for us New Yorkers here.
Maybe not now, but the state that it's cool to hate always changes. New York will have it's turn (as it probably has in the past). I think the whole thing is stupid - but I've seen this type of behavior all my life. Many people feel the need to place themselves in what they consider to be an elite group to distinguish themselves from "the others". The basis of this can be ridiculously trivial - I found out several years ago that there are coffee connoisseurs who look down on people who drink flavored coffee.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 AM

An insecure ego ALWAYS requires someone else to put down so as to maintain the illusion of superiority. Something as ridiculous as disliking someone because they have tags from another state is ALWAYS due to insecurity. The person doing the disliking is simply someone who has never been able to give themselves the love the love they never got from mommy and daddy.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM

63 posts, read 116,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Haha, I was listening to "Valley Girl" by Frank Zappa when I read this. I had no idea people still used this phrase.
You'll be happy to know that Valspeak is still alive and well in San Fernando Valley, original home of the Valley Girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Hated Californians (and Texans) when I was in CO, and when I was in OR. There was an obscure reason for the Californians, they move in buy up the land and start changing the rural way of life. Texans, meh, they're just Texans lol. Now, I live in California and get to deal with that every time I leave the state and they don't even realize that I'm actually a Coloradan. My Karma, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
An insecure ego ALWAYS requires someone else to put down so as to maintain the illusion of superiority. Something as ridiculous as disliking someone because they have tags from another state is ALWAYS due to insecurity. The person doing the disliking is simply someone who has never been able to give themselves the love the love they never got from mommy and daddy.
Well said ... made me laugh, too

Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM

In post ( #35 ) I wrote the following:
An insecure ego ALWAYS requires someone else to put down so as to maintain the illusion of superiority. Something as ridiculous as disliking someone because they have tags from another state is ALWAYS due to insecurity. The person doing the disliking is simply someone who has never been able to give themselves the love they never got from mommy and daddy.
I would like to add that no matter how rational or plausable the reason or explanation for disliking and/or hating those considered as outsiders, those reasons or explanations are ALWAYS pure bullsh*t. The real reason is ALWAYS some unresolved issue with regard to SELF acceptance. A lack of SELF accepatance, is a root cause of the insecurity I mentioned above.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-06-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 03:19 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
....no matter how rational or plausable the reason or explanation for disliking and/or hating those considered as outsiders, those reasons or explanations are ALWAYS pure bullsh*t....
Yep.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times
Quote:
In post ( #35 ) I wrote the following:
An insecure ego ALWAYS requires someone else to put down so as to maintain the illusion of superiority. Something as ridiculous as disliking someone because they have tags from another state is ALWAYS due to insecurity. The person doing the disliking is simply someone who has never been able to give themselves the love they never got from mommy and daddy.
I would like to add that no matter how rational or plausable the reason or explanation for disliking and/or hating those considered as outsiders, those reasons or explanations are ALWAYS pure bullsh*t. The real reason is ALWAYS some unresolved issue with regard to SELF acceptance. A lack of SELF accepatance, is a root cause of the insecurity I mentioned above.
With all due respect, I have to disagree here. While some prejudices are irrational, based on emotion, or teaching of parents/friends, etc., it is often some personal encounter or experience (or, in many cases, numerous encounters or experiences) with a certain group of individuals that causes people to develop a prejudice against the whole group. For example, the distasteful behavior of a lot of Californians in the Rocky Mountain states has led to a pretty general dislike of them in this region. Is that fair to the many quite decent people from California? No, but that widely held dislike did not happen by chance. I don't think most Coloradans start out with a dislike of any particular group, but when enough of us get our snoot rubbed in the dirt by a group, then a general dislike is born. It's also nothing new. I saw the "Don't Californicate Colorado," "Welcome to Colorado, NOW LEAVE," and even "F*** Californians" bumper stickers starting over 30 years ago. And, if anyone thinks that Californians are widely disliked in Colorado, well, take a trip to some of the other Rocky Mountain states and see the sour way Californians are viewed there--they are REALLY vitriolic about it in some of them.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,214,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
With all due respect, I have to disagree here. While some prejudices are irrational, based on emotion, or teaching of parents/friends, etc., it is often some personal encounter or experience (or, in many cases, numerous encounters or experiences) with a certain group of individuals that causes people to develop a prejudice against the whole group. For example, the distasteful behavior of a lot of Californians in the Rocky Mountain states has led to a pretty general dislike of them in this region. Is that fair to the many quite decent people from California? No, but that widely held dislike did not happen by chance. I don't think most Coloradans start out with a dislike of any particular group, but when enough of us get our snoot rubbed in the dirt by a group, then a general dislike is born. It's also nothing new. I saw the "Don't Californicate Colorado," "Welcome to Colorado, NOW LEAVE," and even "F*** Californians" bumper stickers starting over 30 years ago. And, if anyone thinks that Californians are widely disliked in Colorado, well, take a trip to some of the other Rocky Mountain states and see the sour way Californians are viewed there--they are REALLY vitriolic about it in some of them.
LOL ... memories of those bumper stickers for me are now almost 50 years old.

In addition to the CA targeted stickers, there was the

"Love NY? Take I-70 E"

sticker that I saw a lot of in Boulder and Denver back in the 1960's.

For the most part, I'd say that it wasn't (the few) native Coloradoans that had those stickers on their cars, it was folk from those areas who wanted to be the last (as Paul Danish expressed it) "SOB in the door" ...

I wouldn't be surprised if the rude encounter of the OP was yelled at them by a New Yorker .... but why they'd find it cause to be an upset for their trip is beyond my comprehension. It wasn't their overall experience here, and there's no way you can give it creedence for the entire population of the state.

Just like I wouldn't condemn the entire state of Florida as thieves even though every time I've been through there it seems like I get shortchanged more than once in routine shopping trips if I use cash. Now I never use cash there, always use a credit card even for minor purchases ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado