Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 AM

250 posts, read 413,221 times

Advertisements

I live in California.. I'm cruising through AZ, NM on to Colorado to visit Mesa Verde and then go up to Silverton. I would like to know what else I should try to see? I'm outdoorsy.. Big into fishing, and site seeing (Especially historic spots) I love great road food, so any food joints I should stop would be appreciated. Also, just throw out any other suggestions on what I should check out on the trip. I'm coming from the Shiprock,NM direction toward 550/Durango.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
There are several ghost towns you could visit in the vicinity of Silverton you might want to check out:

Ghost Towns of Colorado - San Juan County

When you get to Durango these folks can give you some great advice on where to go see other historic sites in the area:

The Animas Museum

Even if you're not staying there, this hotel is worth a visit:

http://www.strater.com/

You'll also probably want to visit the old train depot:

http://www.durangotrain.com/about-us

Last edited by CAVA1990; 08-30-2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I would recommend driving down to visit Ouray. Cute mountain town, most of the tourists are gone by now and it's not that crowded. Driving over Red Mountain pass is very scenic.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
When we drove Hwy 550 from Durango, heading north, we found Red Mountain Pass to be awesome. For me, first timer that year, it was a white knuckle piece of road. By the time we got to Silverton, my morning coffee had to find a way back out, so we drove into Silverton where we found this quaint old city hall. We parked, went in, marveled at the beauty of this old gem of a structure and my coffee found a place to make a graceful exit. The folks there were very laid back and thoughtful. Bless Silverton.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 AM

Excellent advice ... I really appreciate this!! I'm usually really good at finding stuff through google but it's been tough. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:55 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,204 times
Yes, definitely Ouray: check out the hot springs!

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
I did the Mesa Verde thing a couple of years ago and it was great. The park is amazing and there are a few other places outside to check out. We also drove from Silverton to Ouray north along Hwy 550 and that was spectacular! It's not a long drive but a lot of fun to do.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Definately drive over Red Mountain Pass. They don't call that road the "Million Dollar Highway" for nothing. If you want to make your trip a loop, turn off 550 at Ridgeway and take the road into Telluride where you can ride the gondola for free and get some breath taking views of Telluride and the surrounding mountains. Continue on 145 from Telluride over Lizard Head Pass for more incredible scenary and follow the Dolores River into Rico and the town of Dolores. Dolores is maybe 15 or 20 minutes from Cortez where you can pick up 160 again and either go back to Durango or Shiprock.

If you have the time, I'd recommend taking two days for the trip from Durango over the Million Dollar. Spend the night in Ouray and next day make a leisurely drive of the last part of the loop.

Have fun!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Definately drive over Red Mountain Pass. They don't call that road the "Million Dollar Highway" for nothing. If you want to make your trip a loop, turn off 550 at Ridgeway and take the road into Telluride where you can ride the gondola for free and get some breath taking views of Telluride and the surrounding mountains. Continue on 145 from Telluride over Lizard Head Pass for more incredible scenary and follow the Dolores River into Rico and the town of Dolores. Dolores is maybe 15 or 20 minutes from Cortez where you can pick up 160 again and either go back to Durango or Shiprock.

If you have the time, I'd recommend taking two days for the trip from Durango over the Million Dollar. Spend the night in Ouray and next day make a leisurely drive of the last part of the loop.

Have fun!
Nice post!! Appreciate this big time... Red Mountain pass looks awesome!! I love that type of stuff... Thanks for the suggestion, 99% going to go through there. I'm going to look into your advice though, and see if I can make that happen. Thanks again.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I did the Mesa Verde thing a couple of years ago and it was great. The park is amazing and there are a few other places outside to check out. We also drove from Silverton to Ouray north along Hwy 550 and that was spectacular! It's not a long drive but a lot of fun to do.
Cool.. I've been looking into mesa verde and I love that type of historic place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado