Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM

77 posts, read 152,085 times

Advertisements

From what I have been reading about Durango, CO...it seems like it is nearly impossible to live there long term unless you're already very wealthy. Job prospects seem to be very low, opening businesses seem to be extremely difficult aswell.

So for a single 27 year old male, it seems as if it would be impossible to up and move to Durango unless I had a ton of money saved up and was in no hurry to find a job, neither of which would describe my situation.

Should I just abandon hope and try for Rapid City, South Dakota instead?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
You could try to apply for a job ahead of time. Doesn't hurt to give it a shot:

western slope all jobs classifieds "durango" - craigslist

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM

118 posts, read 310,645 times
what kind of work do you do?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseQ View Post
From what I have been reading about Durango, CO...it seems like it is nearly impossible to live there long term unless you're already very wealthy. Job prospects seem to be very low, opening businesses seem to be extremely difficult aswell.

So for a single 27 year old male, it seems as if it would be impossible to up and move to Durango unless I had a ton of money saved up and was in no hurry to find a job, neither of which would describe my situation.

Should I just abandon hope and try for Rapid City, South Dakota instead?
Once you go west of I-25 in Colorado, there are few industries to pick from. Most towns are fairly small and limited in what they offer. The main industries I would say would be tourism, mineral extraction, agriculture and the sale of 2nd home real estate.

Tourism is limited to at most half of the year, the other half being dead. Mineral extraction is highly variable and focused on a few areas. Agriculture is declining. 2nd home real estate is dying and near dead.

The 2nd home real estate market in my opinion was a big driver of western slope business for the past 30 years. Especially in the past 10 years, tons of construction and new home building everywhere, new commercial construction, hotel construction, condo building, etc. But after the global crisis, that has just totally died and I don't believe it will recover for a generation.

A lot of people say just get a $10 an hour job and move and you'll make it fine. That's cool if you have some way to grow from that into a real career, but otherwise you will be economically stranded with no extra income to move, no extra income to get educated or gain skills to get a "real job".

I never thought much of South Dakota and the Black Hills until I went and personally I really like it and was quite impressed. This year a good friend of mine who is a foreign national, after working in Colorado for 10 years, got a job up there near Rapid City and he has really enjoyed the change. Much lower cost of living by a long measure.

I think it just all comes down to where you can get a job at and then go from there.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
If you are willing to share an apartment, condo or house (at least initially) you can get a room for 400-500 per month in Durango or nearby.

Both places have good points. If you think you could be happy in Rapid City, it might be a bit easier for work and cheaper for your own housing now and later. If you know a few people in the area that can be pretty helpful in several ways.

Would you consider Laramie WY?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM

37 posts, read 50,627 times
Curious if the D&S NG railroad ever hires skilled help. I am a 23 year experienced industrial electrician with pipe fitting and mechanical skills too, love railroading. Visited in 2007 and fell in love with this RR.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 AM

169 posts, read 373,324 times
[quote=BlueCollar21;20890962]Curious if the D&S NG railroad ever hires skilled help. I am a 23 year experienced industrial electrician with pipe fitting and mechanical skills too, love railroading. Visited in 2007 and fell in love with this RR.[/quot

The RR had a couple of job openings listed in the Durango-Herald recently though I don't recall what they were.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollar21 View Post
Curious if the D&S NG railroad ever hires skilled help. I am a 23 year experienced industrial electrician with pipe fitting and mechanical skills too, love railroading. Visited in 2007 and fell in love with this RR.
When I was living there they were looking for coach builders (actually remodellers) so woodworking/cabinet building skills would help you. It would also help if you started in any position that they need (like front office/reservations) just to get to know people-that would give you an "in". The pay sucks of course but it sure would be a fun job.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,923 times
PS Forgot to add this to my last post:

The Durango Herald | Durango Colorado Classifieds: Announcements, Employment, Merchandise, Farmers Market, Pets, Real Estate and Transportation

Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
[quote=VenusAllen;20891704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollar21 View Post
I am a 23 year experienced industrial electrician with pipe fitting and mechanical skills too, love railroading. Visited in 2007 and fell in love with this RR.
One of my great grandfathers was a pipefitter for the D&RG RR in Durango. Go here for employment info for the current operator:

Employment | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

Here's the application to fill out:

http://www.durangotrain.com/sites/de...ion%202011.pdf

I worked on a different RR for 15 years. Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado