Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 164 76.64%
No. 50 23.36%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,475,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I read somewhere that heroin use is going up because of all the kids hooked on pain killers these days. They realize heroin is more efficient and start doing it instead. ...And they still tell us that Cannabis is a gateway drug. Thank god for the internet, the misinformation that was spread is being undone via education, the way it should be.

Proud to be a Coloradoan right now.
Maybe mj isn't a gateway drug at all for some. Same way the pharms aren't a gateway drug for others.

Do you really want to blame Roche or Pfizer for some punk who wants to steal his mom's oxycontins and smoke them off of tin foil until he realizes that he can get some H for cheaper?

Imo, anybody who wants/needs to stick a needle in his arm to reach a brief state if consciousness is NOT a victim. Aka, it's not alcohol's fault. Nor is it the lack of legalized weed's fault.

I am interested in entertaining the idea that big business via the ATF, big Pharm, etc. would abhor the idea of a legal mj due to competition... and also the legalization of growing hemp for all of it's uses.

If this is a step in that direction, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Maybe mj isn't a gateway drug at all for some. Same way the pharms aren't a gateway drug for others.

Do you really want to blame Roche or Pfizer for some punk who wants to steal his mom's oxycontins and smoke them off of tin foil until he realizes that he can get some H for cheaper?

Imo, anybody who wants/needs to stick a needle in his arm to reach a brief state if consciousness is NOT a victim. Aka, it's not alcohol's fault. Nor is it the lack of legalized weed's fault.

I am interested in entertaining the idea that big business via the ATF, big Pharm, etc. would abhor the idea of a legal mj due to competition... and also the legalization of growing hemp for all of it's uses.

If this is a step in that direction, so be it.

I don't believe is passing responsibility on to others at all, no I do not blame Roche or Pfizer, but I also don't blame the guy who cooks meth for the existence meth-heads. I am just saying that their is logical and chemical evidence that those are actually gateway drugs, whereas there is no evidence what so ever that Cannabis leads to anything harder.

I agree with you that a drug is an inanimate object that is no inherently good or bad, people will misuse any substance, even food.

I think all drugs should be legal, and people should take responsibility for their actions. I believe one should be free to throw away their life on any drug they want, as long as they don't step on the rights of others.

I am talking about real rights though, not made up ones like "I have the right to tell a private business whether or not they can allow smoking indoors."

The government does not need to take better care of Americans, Americans need to grow up and realize that life is not safe and you need to make decisions accordingly

But yeah, the Pharm companies and others are working to keep Cannabis prohibited, just look at the guys who bank rolled the propaganda films that lead to prohibition. They were oil and paper tycoons mostly afraid of industrial hemp.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I hope Douglas co doesn't receive any of the tax money for schools if they ban the sale of cannabis.
Knowing government efficiency and logistics, they will probably receive the most.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Cannabis users cost society much less than other legal, more loosely regulated, everyday substances. Alcohol, tobacco, and food come to mind. Obesity is a way bigger cost to society than Cannabis, but food is not regulated the same because people would all of a sudden go "what about my rights?!" if someone tried to tell them what they can and can not eat.

Douglas county will be left behind by the rest of the state, eventually realize their mistake, and loosen up a bit.

But my main point I wanted to make is the cost to society is absolutely negligible when compared to more common, already legal substances.
To compare marijuana with food is preposterous. Food is a necessity; marijuana is not. We cannot limit the amount of food a person eats, but obesity can cause a group or person to pay higher health insurance rates. The same is true for tobacco users.

As more people start to use marijuana more frequently, it will become a problem on par with tobacco, alcohol, and, yes, obesity.

I don't know how you think Douglas County will be left behind, even the Dutch are realizing the problems they created when the legalized marijuana, and are looking to rein it in.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I hope Douglas co doesn't receive any of the tax money for schools if they ban the sale of cannabis.

FOR THE LAST TIME!

There is NO TAX ON THE SALE OF MARIJUANA!

Any excise tax that is to be levied on marijuana must be approved by the voters in a statewide general election.

I could be wrong, but the anti-tax sentiment in Colorado runs so high, that I believe any tax on marijuana will be shot down.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

even the Dutch are realizing the problems they created when the legalized marijuana, and are looking to rein it in.
They never legalized it.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,886 times
Allowing cigarettes at 18 but not allowing marijuana at all makes no sense.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,793 times
Quote:
FOR THE LAST TIME!

There is NO TAX ON THE SALE OF MARIJUANA!

Any excise tax that is to be levied on marijuana must be approved by the voters in a statewide general election.
As if that's not going to happen. I think a lot of people voted for amendment 64 with taxes in mind.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
davidv wrote: As more people start to use marijuana more frequently, it will become a problem on par with tobacco, alcohol, and, yes, obesity.

This is an interesting belief! Only time will tell wether or not it plays out in reality. To me, it seems more like wishful thinking that will prove to the world how right you were to vote NO on 64.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-01-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
To compare marijuana with food is preposterous. Food is a necessity; marijuana is not. We cannot limit the amount of food a person eats, but obesity can cause a group or person to pay higher health insurance rates. The same is true for tobacco users.

As more people start to use marijuana more frequently, it will become a problem on par with tobacco, alcohol, and, yes, obesity.

I don't know how you think Douglas County will be left behind, even the Dutch are realizing the problems they created when the legalized marijuana, and are looking to rein it in.

Scientifically, Cannabis poses less of a threat to your body than alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and yes, food. No amount of you just saying it will be as big of a problem will make that fact. Read up. Facts counter your argument.

Prohibition has always, throughout history, had a greater cost to society than the substances themselves. So your argument that "it poses a cost to society" is moot, we are currently paying a greater cost to lose the drug war.

I see this as a one way street. This more reasonable drug policy is going to be a huge success. Douglas County will be left behind when they see that tourism is booming in Aspen and Vail, when they see they see the income stream cut out from under youth gangs in Denver County.

Douglas County has plenty of land on which to grow hemp, will their cultivation ban include that? Hemp fields are worth astronomical numbers.

They won't be left behind for long, both political pressure, and not seeing the apocalypse on their borders, they will quickly follow.

Amsterdam has one of the lowest usage rates amongst teens, which are legal to buy at 16 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado