Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,196 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple in Cali that just cant financially do it out here anymore and need to move with in the next 30 days .We love boulder where we have some family...but we arent sure that is the place for us.We have two small kids going to school in a year, Im in apaertment property management and my husband is in sales,mainly car sales,however he would like to make a career jump.So my question is where is a good place to live that has good schools, good job economy,affordable housing, and is still close to the mountains, lakes, scenic beauty but is still convienaint for shopping and errands....keep in mind we are coming from Santa Clarit Ca, which is they most Northern part of La. and is a smaller city compared to southern La but still big enough to have the city feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
I'm here in Denver now scouting it out for a possible move from Orange County. I think Denver's southern suburbs are nice and a lot like Santa Clarita. Lots of it is under 25 years old and is very cookie cutter but has good schools and is very well maintained. Don't let the locals scare you about the traffic in Denver. Yes, there's traffic but its a joke compared to SoCal. There's also light rail for getting into downtown. Keep in mind that Boulder is very expensive so that brings up the prices of houses the closer you get to it. Denver metro is big enough to have a little of everything. All the big box retailers and restaurant chains are here. But there's also enough ethnic diversity that you can get your Chinese/Vietnamese/Mexican, etc food fix. 30 days is not a lot of time to make such a big decision but Denver's the safest bet. Rent an apartment and start reading everything you can find and scout around for a permanent home.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 PM

68 posts, read 363,465 times
just do us a favor and learn to drive in the snow...

Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, there's traffic but its a joke compared to SoCal.
I also moved here from Orange County and thought the same thing.

Wait till you go back to Orange County to visit after living here for a year or two. The amount of traffic and crowds will take on a whole new meaning.

You also realize just how BIG socal is after being here for a little bit.

Create jobs and they will come

Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Wait till you go back to Orange County to visit after living here for a year or two. The amount of traffic and crowds will take on a whole new meaning.
I've been back in OC a few hours after less than a week in Denver and I'm already feeling it. Its pretty crazy.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:08 AM

160 posts, read 975,626 times
I also reside in OC and am considering a relo to CO. I was wondering what your experience was in making friends. I have two small boys, ages 2 & 4, so I guess Icould join a Mom's group. It just seems that people come home from work here and don't want to be bothered making friends or socializing beyond the casual conversation. Is the Denver area friendly?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I also moved here from Orange County and thought the same thing.

You also realize just how BIG socal is after being here for a little bit.
Absolutely true. We got decompressed having lived near Monument for the past year.

Mind Numbing. I went back to LA last week to visit. Sunday afternoon 1:30, 405 heading north from LAX towards the valley, stop and go, 40 MPH max. Sunday afternoon! Going south (Wilshire to LAX) was even worse, Bumper to Bumper barely moving. No accidents, just congestion. Unreal. I really had to concentrate on my driving so I couldn't admire all the bitchen graffiti on every paintable service.

Wednesday morning 11AM, not rush hour right? Fairfax north (Little Ethiopia) to the Grove from the 10, stop and go, stop and go...

Bill Keene must be spinning in his grave.

Last edited by Charles; 07-25-2007 at 09:32 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfvillalobos View Post
We are a young couple in Cali that just cant financially do it here anymore and need to move in the next 30 days. We love Boulder where we have some family...but we arent sure that is the place for us.We have two small kids going to school in a year, Im in apaertment property management and my husband is in sales,mainly car sales,however he would like to make a career jump.So my question is where is a good place to live that has good schools, good job economy,affordable housing, and is still close to the mountains, lakes, scenic beauty but is still convienaint for shopping and errands....keep in mind we are coming from Santa Clarit Ca, which is they most Northern part of La. and is a smaller city compared to southern La but still big enough to have the city feel.
1. You're gonna love Colorado!
2. We're from DC, we "know" traffic as well as SoCal folks. Thanks to EscapeCalifornia & others for saying so.
3. If SoCal is too costly, Boulder will be too. More affordable towns near Boulder are Superior, Louisville, LaFayette, Longmont and Broomfield – use the Search tool with any of these city names to find the info that is already here in the forums.
4. Suggest you look at Colorado Springs. Lots of apartments here as the city caters to a military population which often is here for only a few years before heading off to yet another Army post or Air Force base. Lots of car sales here too. Great districts for schools are D20 and D38 (north side) and D12 (south side). A good school district in D11 (the bulk of the city itself). Look over the housing costs here on realtor.com in zips 80920 for D20, a very large district with a great reputation, great shopping, great views of the mountains, and very affordable. Boulder is a 90-120 minute drive from COL SPGS....which IMO is close enough for family. Also, IMO, your wish for affordable housing makes COL SPGS a prime spot to check out….lower costs, even less traffic, lots of growth in apartment construction, sales, etc.

s/Mike

Old 07-26-2007, 05:36 AM

151 posts, read 714,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
I also reside in OC and am considering a relo to CO. I was wondering what your experience was in making friends. It just seems that people come home from work here and don't want to be bothered making friends or socializing beyond the casual conversation. Is the Denver area friendly?
Friendly? Since most of the people here now are actually from somewhere else, there's no local social patterns any more (except in the small towns where there are no jobs). You'll have to deal mostly with people who also came here to escape the same things that are driving you from California. So instead of native Coloradoans, you'll be meeting people from New Jersey or other overcrowded urban areas. Unfortunately, they usually bring their rude, snobby attitudes and aggressive driving habits with them.

You'll see a popular bumper sticker that says "Don't Californicate Colorado" because those of us who remember what it was like here 30-40 years ago are grieving over the fact that Colorado is being transformed into the very thing you are trying to escape. The Colorado you are dreaming of doesn't exist any more. They've paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,968 times
We moved from the San Diego area to Monument 3 years ago and have found folks here to be friendly and very helpful. I'm sure it will vary in different neighborhoods. Though I could say the same thing about the neighborhood in CA we moved from. Maybe it's our attitude and openess towards our neighbors. Maybe it's cause we have a very social 7 year old.
Last year I bought a swing set, a humungous wooden structure, and 8 neighbors came over and helped me assemble the thing. This past 4th of July, we attended a neighborhood picnic with about 70 people.

Quote:
The Colorado you are dreaming of doesn't exist any more. They've paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Maybe CO isn't the same place it was years ago, but you can still find lots of affordable, beautiful, friendly areas with decent schools. It actually is the place I dreamed of. Not perfect, but a pretty great place to live. Everything is relative I guess, so I understand why long time residents lament the days before major development changed the landscape of many cities. There are many CA natives who feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado