Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:53 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,581 times

Advertisements

I'm at the place in my life where I want to experience something new and beautiful. I survived the Joplin tornado and if I ever see another tornado...it will be too soon.

I am not running from anything, drama, bad relationship...etc. I will be 42 and want to know something different. I have a son that is 16. I prefer the East side of CO, not too far the mountains. I am originally from NE Oregon and do miss the beautiful mountains and dry air. Missouri summers are horrid

I think I need some more direction on where to look. I've pretty much ruled out Pueblo. My degree is in Psych. I currently work as a Discharge Planner in psych unit at a Hospital. I like the feel of a "small town" but like the idea of something larger being nearby. I'm not a big fan of commuting more than 30 minutes.

I have a dog (Beagle mix) and really, really, want her to come with us. She survived the tornado, huddled by a wall with us as the tornado ravaged our neighbhood. So I need a pet friendly area.

What are some good places to look? I hear a lot about politics and I am an Independent. If there is a good candidate, I'll vote for them...I don't care which party they belong to.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Castle Rock is a fairly small town about 30 min from both the Denver metro and Colorado Springs. I think Denver metro is going to be your best bet for a job.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Castle Rock is a fairly small town about 30 min from both the Denver metro and Colorado Springs. I think Denver metro is going to be your best bet for a job.
I was kinda wondering that myself. I don't think finding a job will be too difficult but I have to find the right spot to look. There are psych services, facilities, hospitals in a lot of places but finding the right locale for a decent wage versus settling for a lower paying job is the key. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
We do get tornadoes out here, not of the Joplin variety usually, but a few years ago we had this one:

Weld County Tornado Of May 22 2008 Rated As An EF3 Tornado!
Mile-wide tornado hits Windsor, Weld County - The Denver Post

Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We do get tornadoes out here, not of the Joplin variety usually, but a few years ago we had this one:

Weld County Tornado Of May 22 2008 Rated As An EF3 Tornado!
Mile-wide tornado hits Windsor, Weld County - The Denver Post

Yea...it seems that this is not uncommon anymore. Parts of the country that never or rarely have seen a tornado are seeing them more frequently. Actually Joplin rarely got Tornadoes...last one being in the 70's. There has been several around Joplin in recent years. I have lived in this area for 23 years...this was the first one that I ever saw and experienced. It certainly left a lasting impression.

If I could decrease my chances of seeing one again and get out of these HOT! summers...I'd be a happy camper Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
The Colorado front range has always had tornadoes, usually they are not as bad as the one in Windsor was, but they happen every few years, and have as long as I can remember.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
The Colorado front range has always had tornadoes, usually they are not as bad as the one in Windsor was, but they happen every few years, and have as long as I can remember.
I would prefer be out of the area that "expects" them. I'm still in tornado alley, although I don't hear about tornadoes touching down as frequently here as I do in Oklahomah, TX, and Kansas.

There are risks everywhere...I know.

Do they have sirens on the front range for tornadoes?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:37 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
I think you'll find the competition for a job out here with a BS in pysch very challenging.

I've had friends with BS's, MSW's, and PhD's compete for jobs that only required a BS and were relatively low paying at that. Most of them don't even work in the field that they trained for because the pay scales were too low to make a living without assistance ... food stamps, etc ...

I think your priority would be to get a job offer out here and then evaluate whether or not you can afford to live in the area in accordance with your desires, rather than to decide where in Colorado you'd like to locate and then find suitable employment.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Yes I was noticing that...the competitive part. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Not meant as a putdow. Just stating todays reality. A BS is todays equivalent of a 9th grade education in the 60s, but the wages it pays, doesn't provide the equivalent buying power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado