Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 AM

24 posts, read 48,231 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a stay-at-home mom of 3 young children. I've lost too many close family members within the last 5 years. I need a change of scenery desperately so that I can move on, memories lurk everywhere for me right now. I want to go to Colorado for several reasons. I have family scattered all over the state: Fort Collins, Loveland, Craig, Akron, Evergreen. I used to live there as a little girl when my father was with the Army and he worked at Fitzsimmons. I love Colorado, I've wanted to return since we moved away in 1988. I visit at least once/year.
My husband is currently in the interview process for a position in Golden. However, knowing the current market, I need a plan B. If he doesn't get a job, should I move ahead of him and rent someplace in the Denver metro area so that we have a Colorado address? Any suggestions by anyone? Has anyone else relocated by pure force of will before? Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
If you have the money to do it go for it. I knew I wanted to relocate so I found a job that had offices in the Denver area and just waited for an opportunity to transfer. It took almost 2 years for an opening but I did get the move entirely paid for. During that 2 years I applied and interviewed for countless jobs in Colorado and never had anything come through. I do think it helps to be here. You could also try getting a cell phone with a 303 or 720 area code as well as a PO box.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you choosing78! I didn't even think about getting a cell phone number with a CO area code and PO box. My husband likes that idea. Here's hoping to a CO move within the next year!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavidson78 View Post
I didn't even think about getting a cell phone number with a CO area code and PO box.
Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. However, I did persoanlly obtain both a CO PO Bx address and mobile # before I moved, so I kn ow it can be done. The post office will require some sort of proof of address... like a utility bill or a mortgage statement with YOUR NAME on it. If you happened own a rental property here, you could easily use that, otherwise you'll have to haver a friend or relative in-state to register one for you. Of course, there' nothing to stop you from just using their address with your name on it anyways, as long as they don't mind. The mobile phone co. will also want an in-state address before they give you service in that code (it might vary by provider, but I do know that AT&T would not just hand out any area code you desired), again the easiest thing would just be to register it using the address of a relative or something.

As for your other question, I believe it would be an exceedingly BAD IDEA you to move far in advance of your husband. I can empathize with your loss, but splitting the family like that will only compound your troubles and grief ( -- No wonder Dr. Laura gets so many callers)

Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
Is your husband able to fly with only a week or so notice for interviews? I would also suggest another option is to include in a cover letter that you "are in the process of moving" to CO. So companies don't think you're looking for them to foot the bill for the move.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Yes, definitely having a Colorado address will help you guys get jobs.

I have relocated several times in my life by pure force of will. I don't see anything wrong with it and I would do it again if I need or want to.

Quote:
Hi. I'm a stay-at-home mom of 3 young children. I've lost too many close family members within the last 5 years. I need a change of scenery desperately so that I can move on, memories lurk everywhere for me right now. I want to go to Colorado for several reasons. I have family scattered all over the state: Fort Collins, Loveland, Craig, Akron, Evergreen. I used to live there as a little girl when my father was with the Army and he worked at Fitzsimmons. I love Colorado, I've wanted to return since we moved away in 1988. I visit at least once/year.
My husband is currently in the interview process for a position in Golden. However, knowing the current market, I need a plan B. If he doesn't get a job, should I move ahead of him and rent someplace in the Denver metro area so that we have a Colorado address? Any suggestions by anyone? Has anyone else relocated by pure force of will before? Thank you for your time.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
If all you need is a Colorado area code, no need to change your cell phone number. Try using a VOIP service or something like Google Voice (which is actually a call forwarding service).

As for a Colorado address, I'd just ask one of your family members to let you use your address for job-hunting purposes. It's not as though you'll actually get much mail through a resume address anyway.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Thank you everyone. Splitting my family up is obviously the last thing I would want to do in finding a way to Colorado, but it was the only option I could come up with knowing that employers would overlook us based on our current location. Hence this posting, more minds put together can render better solutions than mine alone.
I like the idea of stating we are in the process of moving to Colorado in the cover letter. I'll ask my husband about the VOIP thing, since that actually is his expertise. He works in telecommunications/IT with a local city here in AZ. If we don't get this job he's interviewing for, I may ask a relative if we can use their address temporarily. That was a good idea. Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
I like the idea of stating we are in the process of moving to Colorado in the cover letter.
That's not going to help you. An employer will look at this as: "they still live out of state and there's plenty of chance why events and circumstance would make it difficult for them to move."

The reason employers prefer local candidates is as follows:

* bias in favor of supporting local economy/talent/etc.
* easier to arrange interviews and meetings
* a candidate who lives here is already familiar with the area, likes to live here, has their social network set, and is more likely to be a long-term permanent resident. An out of state candidate may arrive only to find they don't like living here
* suspicion of "why does this person want to move here"

You've got an uphill battle to overcome these biases. You could use the local address of a relative or friend. ... but what happens when someone wants you to come in the next day for an interview, or wants you to fill out some paperwork.

If we don't get this job he's interviewing for, I may ask a relative if we can use their address temporarily. That was a good idea. Thanks again![/quote]

Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
I did what you are talking about. First rent a private P.O. Box like Mailboxes Etc. You can use the street address and box # as your address and it looks like a real address. Next, buy one of those pre-paid phones and get a Colorado number. I didn't have any problem and I lived in California. Use that address and phone on your resumes/letters etc. I was also able to ship boxes to the mail place just before I moved and pick them up after I arrived. Like the earlier posts said, you will really have to be here to interview unless you can afford to fly in on the spur of the moment but you can get a head start by making it look like you live here already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado