Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

We took a 10 yr old Chevy Camaro RWD to the mtns several times; also a tiny Toyota Corrola RWD wagon. You do not have to buy a special car to live here. Keep up with the snow tires, bring along a set of chains for extreme weather in the mtns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM

151 posts, read 714,555 times
I've been here since 1966, and never had anything but a regular 2WD (rear) car and have never been in a wreak. I'm not much into winter sports (although I head into the mountains in the winter for Christmas fairs etc). But I do commute, so I invest is very good snow tires. Works very well for me, but I'm used to driving in snow.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
We've looked at the 2006 Ford Explorer 4x4, Hyundai AWD, Pilot AWD so far...and are pleased the most with the Explorer. From our travels to NM and Utah we know Subaru rules the roost, but we want something bigger than a sedan/wagon for our two large dogs to ride around with us.
We got a Honda Pilot last fall and have been very pleased with it. It got along very well in the ton of snow that we had last December and January. It is normally FWD but will automatically send power to the rear wheels if it senses any reduction in traction on the fronts, which turns it into 4WD. They have a great safety rating as well as maintenance rating. Plus it is very roomy.

Any vehicle that you are considering, see if there is a forum on the Internet for that vehicle. Before I bought my Pilot, I found lots of good info on them at HONDA PILOT .ORG. Info like problems that some owners encountered, overall satisfaction, how much people paid (this was invaluable), recommended accessories, and so on. Magazines and buyer's guides are one thing, but hearing from actual owners is more valuable.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
The Honda Pilot was our favorite...but was placed second after the Ford Explorer b/c of price. We actually we're told in Jan 2007 that the new body style for the Pilot would be in 2008. We waited with baited breath and now we have been told it won't be until 2009! I am familiar with the Honda Pilot website. It's saved as one of my favorites. I agree it is very helpful.

All the information we've received has us brainstorming away. We are no longer in a rush to buy. Matter of fact, all the advice has helped us slow down and re-evaluate what we thought we needed (4x4). It seems AWD is more environmentally and pocket book friendly vs a 4x4. That is of course, as much as an SUV can be.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
AWD is MUCH more fuel efficient than 4WD. It seems like a lot of people who live in Colorado are a little slow to catch on. Also, AWD vehicles typically have a lower center of gravity, and better handling in all weather conditions compared with 4WD. If you travel into mountain areas, snowbelt areas, and especially northern Applachians you will se mainly AWD Subarus compared with 4WD vehicles.
If you want fuel efficiency in a slightly bigger vehicle and do not mind 4WD I would look at:
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Ford Escape Hybrid
(Make sure to always get side airbags if they do not come standard)

Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,234 times
you don't need AWD, nor do you need 4x4. plus, there are wagons that have comparable cabin space and clearance to those of an SUV for the dogs and the snow, while your fuel economy will also be better (and your insurance premiums, most likely). with snows and chains, your RearWD should be OK, though Front WD would likely be much better. Front WD is good because with a touch of the accelerator, e.g., you can spin your way out of some situations that you might fishtail through with Rear or AWD - difference of pulling the front end out in front of the rear versus further spinning the rear end around. either way, i'd recommend going to a big, nearly empty, snowy parking lot with your new snows and chains and play around until you have a good feel with various situations. AWD and 4x4 are so much less efficient, usually, that it does not make sense for most of us (other than those living well of the beaten path, e.g.). i have had 4x4 and AWD that were significantly worse in snow than other front wheel drive cars i've had, and i have driven in LOTS of snowy conditions, blizzards, etc while once working for the ski industry.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
I have an AWD Honda Element with upgraded snow tires, and I can tell you that I drove it in Indiana in 2 feet of snow and couldn't get it stuck.............I love this car with the rubber floors and stain/water resistant seats it it the best car that I have ever owned!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 PM

616 posts, read 3,005,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
I have an AWD Honda Element with upgraded snow tires, and I can tell you that I drove it in Indiana in 2 feet of snow and couldn't get it stuck.............I love this car with the rubber floors and stain/water resistant seats it it the best car that I have ever owned!
But it's ugly! My Pilot isn't much prettier, but I like it quite a bit still. At least the Element isn't as ugly as a Scion xB.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
But it's ugly! My Pilot isn't much prettier, but I like it quite a bit still. At least the Element isn't as ugly as a Scion xB.
Hey now!!!!!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..........But honestly mine looks nice, It has snow tires, rain guards, roof rack, mud flaps, side steps, rocker panel trim....With the add-on's mine had become quite nice looking.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:18 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
We have friends that have an AWD Element. They love it too. We could never own one though. It only seats 4 people. Need at least 5. Got 7 in out Acura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: