Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Oh and LOL, I have to say that to long-timers and "natives" you don't put "the" in front of the highway designation.

It's "I-25" or "I-225" (eye-two-twenty-five), "I-70" and such. Not "The 225" or "The 25".

Hehe, sounds like you're from the (don't quote me on this) California region.

For as long as I have lived in Colorado (39 years) the designations I listed are more likely to align you with Coloradans than the other.

Just saying.
I've never heard a Californian refer to a highway as "the 5." Where would you get the impression that it's a California thing? Besides, I think we all understood his nomenclature.

Also, COflower, I think you may have misunderstood my prior post about the speed limit change at 25 and 470. You wrote that you didn't want to single me out, but I can't figure out why that would be necessary. Did I write something with which you disagree?

In that post, I merely pointed out that there is another place along 25 where there is a rapid decrease in speed limit over a short distance, but that it doesn't appear to be a speed trap (although maybe it should be, since so many people totally disregard the signs). I also believe the decrease is warranted as there is an awful lot of merging required in that area s drivers enter and exit the highway.

Edit: Oh, I just re-read your post. I think that I might have given the impression that I agreed with the other poster that it was an unfairly abrupt change. Quite the contrary, actually. I think the signs are very clear that the speed limit will decrease ahead. Furthermore, my spouse drives both sections of 25 under discussion a couple of days a week on the way to see clients. He thinks that the speed limit signs are clear, and he's never had the impression that either was speed trap.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 10-27-2007 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I've never heard a Californian refer to a highway as "the 5." Where would you get the impression that it's a California thing? Besides, I think we all understood his nomenclature.

Also, COflower, I think you may have misunderstood my prior post about the speed limit change at 25 and 470. You wrote that you didn't want to single me out, but I can't figure out why that would be necessary. Did I write something with which you disagree?

In that post, I merely pointed out that there is another place along 25 where there is a rapid decrease in speed limit over a short distance, but that it doesn't appear to be a speed trap (although maybe it should be, since so many people totally disregard the signs). I also believe the decrease is warranted as there is an awful lot of merging required in that area as drivers enter and exit the highway.
I have California relatives (whom I love dearly) that refer to most any highway as "the (insert highway here)" and it sounds weird to this native of Colorado. "The 225" is just weird and not native here...listen to the local news and you will hear what I am talking about. When I have visited California, highways are often preceded with "the". He did refer to them as "the" here; //www.city-data.com/forum/1847977-post41.html and as picky as that may seem, it's not a lingo we use here to signify state or US highways.

I was just pointing out
Quote:
Anyhow, when congress (and I hope someone can back me up here as my Google-Fu broke so there's a good cite), approved the 75 mph speed limit, they impossed the idea that within a populated area of a certain amount of people, the speed limits would be decreased.
That, there are valid reasons for seemingly quick decreases in speed limit.

If you've ever driven into Alma on 9 from 24 or 285 (?) from Fairplay, you would know that there is more than a serious drop in speed.

I am sorry, if people don't get the idea that entering a major or even a small town area don't get you need to slow down, I am not particularly sad if people get a ticket. The comments seem to give the state some kind of advantage to give tickets because their signs aren't seemingly fair.

To the best of my knowledge, most cities and towns give you fair warning that you need to slow down. I don't think there's much to argue with that. A city says you need to go from 75 to 70 to 60 to 55...OH MY, C Springs is suddenly being a totalitarian government.

Look, I am a libertarian. I realize I have to follow the rules and if I like them or not is not a big damn deal. I will work against the laws I find unfair.

In the meantime (and NO THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU BUT OTHERS, get off your high horse) we have to be respectful of other people on the roads.

I don't think that's too much to ask. As for the "the < insert highway here >" thing. It's weird. I will state that and will not be afraid to state that it's weird.

It's not the "I" It's either "I-25" or "I-70 or "E-470". Yeah, as a long time resident perhaps this makes me uncomfortable and having relatives in California, they always refer to interstates as "the". In the 39 years...

Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, most cities and towns give you fair warning that you need to slow down.
I agree with you completely, and I was unaware that my previous post had given you a different impression.

Quote:
I realize I have to follow the rules and if I like them or not is not a big damn deal. I will work against the laws I find unfair.
No argument here.

Quote:
I have California relatives (whom I love dearly) that refer to most any highway as "the (insert highway here)" and it sounds weird to this native of Colorado. "The 225" is just weird and not native here...listen to the local news and you will hear what I am talking about. When I have visited California, highways are often preceded with "the".
Could that be a socal thing? In all my years in norcal, I never heard anyone refer to an interstate highway in that manner.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 10-27-2007 at 10:19 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 19,474 times
I am not an advocate of anyone driving while impaired. I also believe that no one should be taken from their home on the word of someone else who said they were driving recklessly. Any one of us could be arrested if that were the standard. This woman was home, and the cops took her to jail based on someone else's observations. It could have been some nut job who thought it was funny! I also have to say that I think your reference to Rodney King was in extremely bad taste, and leads any reasonable person to believe that you ascribe to police brutality. Not credible, by any standard. And your picture is juvenile!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 19,474 times
I did not say that I think the reduced speed limit is unfair. What is unfair is that there are NO signs that warn you that the speed limit will decrease DRAMATICALLY. For people who live here and are familiar with the change, it's not a problem. But if you're coming from another state or area and doing 75, the first notice you get is a 60 MPH speed limit sign. Now, if you want to get to 60 in 10 seconds, you all know what's going to happen. They need highly visible signs that warn motorists that they need to start slowing down. They don't exist along I25 in the Colorado Springs area. I don't care if they reduce the speed to 25, but they need to let you know it's going to happen before you find yourself over the limit.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Charles, after having lived there? No.

Even back in the 90s that place was a madhouse to get through during the work week. With the amount of traffic in that area? Heck, you'd be happy if you can get above 45 during a rush hour.

With that said, with the volumn of traffic in the area, the curves and such, I don't think it's too out of line to be at 55.

And, IIRC, you turn into the 55 mph at least at Orchard, which is before 225. Before T-Rex started, before there was the worst of traffic problems there, getting from Orchard (which is where I lived - actually Colorado and Orchard) to Evans took me a good half hour.

I don't think that 55 through Colorado Springs from about Academy (north) and Academy (south) is all that too much ask. 225 and the C Springs area on I-25 aren't all that much different.
I only seem to be on that stretch on the weekends so it never seems crowded. If I do head to DEN during rush hour I takes da 470.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 AM

210 posts, read 744,921 times
Default why do they move

I heard lately that most of the people moving are going to the Boston area

Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I have California relatives (whom I love dearly) that refer to most any highway as "the (insert highway here)" and it sounds weird to this native of Colorado. "The 225" is just weird and not native here...listen to the local news and you will hear what I am talking about.
I stand corrected about this, COFlower. My spouse just confirmed that it's a SoCal thing. His boss is from San Diego and uses "the" consistently; however, a Northern Californian wouldn't be caught dead saying it that way.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:20 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I stand corrected about this, COFlower. My spouse just confirmed that it's a SoCal thing. His boss is from San Diego and uses "the" consistently; however, a Northern Californian wouldn't be caught dead saying it that way.
Wow, I will have to retrain myself when in Colorado. Yes, we preface every freeway with "the". As in "take the 57 to the 5 to the 55, and you'll be in Newport Beach!"

Old 10-28-2007, 09:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Wow, I will have to retrain myself when in Colorado. Yes, we preface every freeway with "the". As in "take the 57 to the 5 to the 55, and you'll be in Newport Beach!"
I used to say the, but I don't think there are enough freeways here to really make it worth it. You have I25 and I70 and 287....you can learn to say the names of the freeways here, unlike California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado