Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,482,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Yeah, the forecast is bleak for any drought relief. Some water providers that I've talked to are already scaling back what they expect to provide this summer from the low summer water flows they predicted just a few weeks ago. The southern and central Rockies and adjoining plains are going to get a very sobering look at just how "overdrawn" we are on water supplies. The only postive thing that could happen with the dismal 2012-2013 winter water season is that it may be dire enough to actually knock some sense into the "growth-lovers," but most of them are too damned stupid or greedy to acknowledge the reality--and the rest of us are going to get to pay for that.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
High pressure will begin to move in this afternoon, with drier air moving in resulting in clearing skies through the day. High pressure will dominate the region through the end of the week, with temperatures warming to above normal levels. This will allow for great viewing of Comet Pan-STARRS tonight through the end of the week, as skies will be clear.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM

High pressure will begin to break down but dry conditions and warm temperatures will continue today. Disturbances in the westerlies will bring mountain snow showers and a chance of valley rain showers Saturday and Sunday. Snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches will be common for the higher mountains of Colorado over the weekend. A few thunderstorms are also possible both days, along with windy conditions for Sunday. Temperatures will cool Saturday through early next week, but valley locations are expected to stay at seasonal to slightly above seasonal levels.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
^

It is warm. Unofficially it was 80 yesterday in downtown Pueblo and today it should be in the low 80's.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
Joss...did you ENJOY it, or did you go into worry mode like some of the negaholics in this thread, automatically assuming that summer's gonna be a real b*tch, just because it's 80 degrees in March?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,482,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Joss...did you ENJOY it, or did you go into worry mode like some of the negaholics in this thread, automatically assuming that summer's gonna be a real b*tch, just because it's 80 degrees in March?
Get this right: 80° in March does happen sometimes, wet year or dry. BUT, when you have early warm weather beginning to melt an already very low snowpack in the second year of a very serious drought, THAT is something to be very concerned about. I just spoke with a major West Slope ditch company yesterday. They are already implementing "emergency" measures with their water supplies and they haven't even begun to turn water into the canals yet. Yes, it is that bad. And, nothing, save precipitaiton of near Biblical proportions, is going to save us from what may be the worst water year in many decades in Colorado--that at a time when the state's overgrown population--and the overpopulated states downstream from Colorado--are demanding more water than ever.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Get this right: 80° in March does happen sometimes, wet year or dry. BUT, when you have early warm weather beginning to melt an already very low snowpack in the second year of a very serious drought, THAT is something to be very concerned about. I just spoke with a major West Slope ditch company yesterday. They are already implementing "emergency" measures with their water supplies and they haven't even begun to turn water into the canals yet. Yes, it is that bad. And, nothing, save precipitaiton of near Biblical proportions, is going to save us from what may be the worst water year in many decades in Colorado--that at a time when the state's overgrown population--and the overpopulated states downstream from Colorado--are demanding more water than ever.
I am enjoying it! This is quite normal for Pueblo in fact I have seen it in the 90's in march then a blizzard the next day. I know a lot of cities in Colorado are going to be on water restrictions this summer, so far Pueblo is not so I am making my plans accordingly. I have found a variety of Palm Tree that can grow in this climate so my goal is to plant them this summer and see how it goes as I have always wanted a Palm Tree or two in my yard!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 PM

129 posts, read 250,219 times
For any fishermen out there, the first casualty of the year will be Antero Reservoir (one of the state's trophy trout lakes). CPW and Denver Water are finalizing a press release that should be out to the public soon. They're going to drain it for the water. While this will mean no fishing until they fill it again, once they do fill it the fish will grow fast as the draining allows many nutrients to rebuild on the lake bottom.

Several lakes also look to be closing to motorized boating (sort of good for those of us human power folks!) due to water levels being below the boat ramp. Spinney Mountain and Williams Fork are two that have been announced already. I expect more as the ice opens up.

Last year we lost Bonny Lake to pay "missing" water to Kansas and Sterling Res to a complete fish kill (too hot).

Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,989,104 times
Wink All too soon

The ice is quickly melting off the river here. There are few places where it spans entirely across what is a narrow and very rugged mountain river. But a week ago what may amount to the last snow storm of any merit had allowed it to somewhat draw back across, with the newly fallen snow lovely upon that. But that only brief, with many open leads, due what had been warming conditions previously, and all the more rapidly now with the ice melting back to either bank.

All this would be lovely and fine—IF in May.

As the ice has receded to reveal much of their deeper pool, there are a few trout having weathered this "winter" to bask in the sun. I fear for them. The already low water level has begun to inch up with what is now—officially, according to me—spring runoff. At minimum it seems they will have to contend with all the lower water levels and warmer water than accustomed through summer. At worst, well one might imagine, and hardly a pleasant thought.

In the middle of March, with the equinox and official beginning of spring yet a week off. Or all this, by my count, easily a month and ideally two months too soon.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 PM

Trees are budding out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado