Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: November 2013 Elections in Colorado
Yes on Amend 66 8 24.24%
No on Amend 66 25 75.76%
Yes on Amend AA 20 60.61%
No on Amend AA 11 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:52 PM

277 posts, read 519,051 times

Advertisements

Ok - so whatever happened to these?

Colorado Funding for Public Schools Act, Amendment 23 (2000) - Ballotpedia

TABOR faithful celebrate expiration of Ref C, but it ain't exactly over | The Spot

Colorado State Spending Act, Referendum C (2005) - Ballotpedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
I voted no on 66 and it felt wonderful. I can't wait to vote in a new Republican government next year.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So true. We spend a lot more per student than a lot of other developed countries yet they are running circles around us, especially in the math and sciences categories. I read several studies on this in grad school. I think before we increase spending on education we need to audit what we already are spending and repurpose funds from programs that are not netting results. I feel this way about all government spending.
And you are in a great position to prove that point -- in the US, Colorado ranks 40th in per pupil spending.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
"Although public schools are usually the biggest item in state and local budgets, spending figures provided by public school officials and reported in the media often leave out major costs of education and thus understate what is actually spent." - CATO Institute article, They Spend What?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
I have yet to see evidence that throwing money at schools results in a better educated workforce.

Our children's education will never get better until all parents take ownership in their childs' education.
Oh, please with the "throwing money" cliche. I was a faculty member at a Colorado Institute for High Education for years. Wanna know what the money was "thrown at"? Books, computer literacy, and equipment for science labs. Let me count the ways. You want to imply that people like me and my colleagues were just greedy blood suckers? No, you should be thanking me and all the other teachers who helped you learn the alphabet, so you could actually read and respond to this thread. A knee jerk response about "throwing money" is not an intelligent response, it's just a knee jerk response.

Pffft! Just one more thread around here to put on my personal ignore list. Have fun working at McDonald's for minimum wage.

Adios,
- Rambler

Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you are in a great position to prove that point -- in the US, Colorado ranks 40th in per pupil spending.
Who cares? I get tired of this line. For being 40th, our schools aren't terrible.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Who cares? I get tired of this line. For being 40th, our schools aren't terrible.
Oh, you're right. They're not terrible.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, please with the "throwing money" cliche. I was a faculty member at a Colorado Institute for High Education for years. Wanna know what the money was "thrown at"? Books, computer literacy, and equipment for science labs. Let me count the ways. You want to imply that people like me and my colleagues were just greedy blood suckers? No, you should be thanking me and all the other teachers who helped you learn the alphabet, so you could actually read and respond to this thread. A knee jerk response about "throwing money" is not an intelligent response, it's just a knee jerk response.

Pffft! Just one more thread around here to put on my personal ignore list. Have fun working at McDonald's for minimum wage.

Adios,
- Rambler
How right you are. At the public school level we just threw tons of money at our school to make things ideal for learning. You know -- baked food sales, making profits on selling yearbooks, magazine fundraisers, fund raising by the PTA. Yup just threw those big bucks at education.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I'll tell you what when Amendment 66 fails, I'll vote for it the next time if it includes clauses for ending teacher pensions, reducing the glut of do nothing administrators, getting rid of the teachers union, eliminating tenure, and paying teachers based on merit...otherwise the public education beast can go pound sand.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'll tell you what when Amendment 66 fails, I'll vote for it the next time if it includes clauses for ending teacher pensions, reducing the glut of do nothing administrators, getting rid of the teachers union, eliminating tenure, and paying teachers based on merit...otherwise the public education beast can go pound sand.
Exactly. But then if they did all that they wouldn't need the extra funds because of all the money they would be saving. Hence my original argument: It's not a revenue problem, it's a spending problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado