Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM

7 posts, read 12,569 times

Advertisements

So I have been living in Summit County (Dillon) for 11 years and my wife and I are looking to get out of the resort lifestyle and high cost of living. We really want to move out to Twin lakes area for the cheaper property with acreage. I currently work at Climax Mine and have a good career going there I just can't leave. So Leadville area is a better option for us considering I could sell the place I have in Summit County and buy a bigger house with more land and live mortgage free. Sounds like a no brainer, but I have heard so many bad things about the school systems there. I just do not know what to believe. We are planning on having a kid within a year and this is the only thing stopping us from moving forward with our dream plan. I have heard everything from half the teachers quit every year to half the kids entering into high school can't read at a elementary level. I know a lot, if not all, the responsibility lies on the parents to keep their kids engaged and off drugs, pure pressure, etc.. But when I hear a lot of the Leadville parents choose to drive their kids 30+ miles for years just so they can go to a better a school because the school that is 2 miles from their house is so bad.... it is alarming as a prospective parent. Can anyone either confirm my fears or tell me don't worry its not that bad? Thanks all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:34 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
Yes, that bad.

123 out of 126

source: https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CO/districtrank.aspx

Don't do it.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:19 AM

Does anyone know why this is? Economy or lack of money?

Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 AM

I found this post from the Leadville paper or some city publication. Maybe this is all propaganda from the city to please the parents here, but it sounds like starting now, the schools in Leadville are admitting they are failing as educators and are trying to change for the better?

http://leadvilletoday.com/schools/

Old 03-22-2014, 06:14 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I don't think it's lack of money, I think it's just been the culture for so long that it will be a very long and hard change.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
Have you considered buying into the Buena Vista district? Much better schools. I know the commute would be longer but I think the trade-off would be worth it. Better schools, much better climate, nicer people. Avery Parsons elementary is being expanded now and that reflects the community's commitment to education. People make the commute to Climax. Car pooling may be an option. GL

Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic5679 View Post
So I have been living in Summit County (Dillon) for 11 years and my wife and I are looking to get out of the resort lifestyle and high cost of living. We really want to move out to Twin lakes area for the cheaper property with acreage. I currently work at Climax Mine and have a good career going there I just can't leave. So Leadville area is a better option for us considering I could sell the place I have in Summit County and buy a bigger house with more land and live mortgage free. Sounds like a no brainer, but I have heard so many bad things about the school systems there. I just do not know what to believe. We are planning on having a kid within a year and this is the only thing stopping us from moving forward with our dream plan. I have heard everything from half the teachers quit every year to half the kids entering into high school can't read at a elementary level. I know a lot, if not all, the responsibility lies on the parents to keep their kids engaged and off drugs, pure pressure, etc.. But when I hear a lot of the Leadville parents choose to drive their kids 30+ miles for years just so they can go to a better a school because the school that is 2 miles from their house is so bad.... it is alarming as a prospective parent. Can anyone either confirm my fears or tell me don't worry its not that bad? Thanks all!!!
Lots of things change in 5-6 years. Go for your dream now, you can move down valley in 5+ years IF the schools are still bad, and if Climax is still open and if there are no private schools etc. Most people move every 5-7 years, plan for today.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM

BV would be nice and I do like that place, but it would be too far of a dive for me. 60 min one way is just too far for me to justify it. Maybe I should start our own bus service for children to Summit Schools for Leadville parents. Sounds like it would be a hit. Or maybe this Expeditionary Learning process the Leadville schools are going through will change things by the time my kid(s) would be of age to go.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I have not been down 24 in years from leadville, but could you find a place in Granite? Just over the Lake / Chaffee county line? In Chaffee and go to the BV schools?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM

We thought about that, but I don't think they have school busses that go out that far for BV schools. I don't even think they have busses in the Twin Lakes area, but we could bring our kids in since we drive for work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado