Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:41 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

When I was buying a home here in 2005, the realtors were talking about Pueblo being a place they'd avoid due to, in their words, "the Mexican mafia." The news in parts of Pueblo and parts of COLO SPGS seems to be drug shootings in the less nicer parts of town. Drug issues are getting worse all over the nation, nowhere is immune.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
When I was buying a home here in 2005, the realtors were talking about Pueblo being a place they'd avoid due to, in their words, "the Mexican mafia." The news in parts of Pueblo and parts of COLO SPGS seems to be drug shootings in the less nicer parts of town. Drug issues are getting worse all over the nation, nowhere is immune.
This is one reason I tell new people to avoid the lower east side and Bessemer. However even there its not that bad and not like what people think. My bf lives in Bessemer now (he seems to move all over) and I am always there and never had a issue.

I talk to people in Pueblo and they go on and on about the crime in the Springs and blame the military. Then you talk to people in the Springs and they go on and on about the crime in Pueblo. The reality is I think most of it is media fed and both cities are not as bad as the perception.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:55 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
The purpose of this thread is not to determine if Pueblo is a principal city in Colorado. The purpose is to identify some of the reasons why Pueblo's economic conditions seem to be in the tank while the majority of the Front Range is improving. Please keep this discussion on topic.
I think it's jobs, incomes, and climate.

Nobody moves to Colorado from out of state looking for something like Pueblo. If they were looking for something like Pueblo, they'd be considering places like New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, etc. It's unfortunate, because "Colorado" does not bring places that can be found in states like that to mind.

People come to Colorado expecting it to be like Aspen, or at least Aspen-adjacent. Denver does a good job of getting people to believe that this is a mountain paradise. Give props to their C of C and visitors bureaus for that.

Pueblo does not have proximity to major job centers, and it isn't quite cheap enough AND quite close enough to consider commuting from there to Colorado Springs. It's too bad for Pueblo that Colorado Springs is so cheap, because if it were approaching Denver's prices, I'd guarantee Pueblo would become a commuter town for COS. It might be better off the way it is, because it wouldn't have to go through the boom-bust cycles places like Los Angeles' (for example) outer/distant suburbs do.

Pueblo is a lower-middle class town at best. I'd put it in the range of the Yakima's and Modesto's of the world. It's not a bad thing, it's just what it is. Until major industry decides to expand there, Pueblo will remain relatively stagnant.

The other thing Pueblo could do is market itself as a destination for retirees. For all we know Pueblo has the potential to become the next Sedona or Bend.

The distance to recreation/city type activities could also be a hindrance.

Also, the dry/hot climate thing does not appeal to all, especially when milder summers can be found in the cities to the north. I'm an oddball, and I would prefer the winters of the Denver area to what can be found in Pueblo (less snow in Pueblo).

Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 PM

^

I give you the jobs issue and that has been the case since the economic collapse in the 1980's. Pueblo needs more jobs and that is the only reason I support Pueblo Springs Ranch with the tech park.

Now the climate is a different story. We are no where near as hot as the dessert southwest. Take today for example. Sure it was 105 then a thunderstorm came and now its 85. I think the climate is one of Pueblo's strong suites and what helps keeps us going.

Pueblo is, also, not far from the mountains. I can be to Monarch ski resort in 1.5 hours about the same it takes from Denver to get to Summit County. Beulah and San Isabel is about 30 minutes and Pueblo has a mountain park in Beulah.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:45 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
....I can be to Monarch ski resort in 1.5 hours ....
Well, there you go, spinning again....mapquest says it's 112 miles and 2 hours 11 minutes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Well, there you go, spinning again....mapquest says it's 112 miles and 2 hours 11 minutes.
Maybe that is what it says but I can tell you it takes me a little over 90 minutes to get there.

Edit: I asked my dad to see if maybe I drive fast as he does not and he said the same thing and when I told him what mapquest said he just said no way is it that long.

With Highway 50 running thru Pueblo it makes it easy to get to the mountains.

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-07-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
^

I give you the jobs issue and that has been the case since the economic collapse in the 1980's.
Exactly. The 1980's. The other Front Range cities have more than rebounded, they've flourished since then. Pueblo hasn't, and that is the question.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
I did not intend to imply that Fountain would pass Pueblo in jobs and population (at least in next 25 years), only that its emergence as the 25th biggest city on front range probably had cut into Pueblo's development somewhat and probably will somewhat more in the future.

Is anyone aware of a study that shows what % of state jobs are in the capitol city or area vs. rest of state for all the states? I wonder where CO ranks in terms of distributing state jobs across the state. I also wonder if any states have above board made distributing a larger share of state jobs to areas with greater economic stress a economic development strategy for those communities and to some extent the well being and reputation of state as whole. I don't doubt some governors try to do this quietly for sincere concern for stressed communities or to reward home folks and powerful allies. I could support selectively moving more jobs out of Denver if it could be shown to be cost efficient (lower rent and maybe lower wages) and not disruptive to unit workflows. I wonder if Lt. Gov. Garcia might be amenable to this strategy if / when he becomes Governor.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-07-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Exactly. The 1980's. The other Front Range cities have more than rebounded, they've flourished since then. Pueblo hasn't, and that is the question.
The other cities did not have the economic melt down Pueblo had. The 3 largest employers shut down as well as all the suppliers. It was not a pretty sight here back then why I referenced the song Pompaii. To put it in perspective Colorado Springs would have to lose all its military bases in a few years. A better comparison is Youngstown and Gary and Detroit. They have yet to recover.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM

289 posts, read 776,267 times
Quote:
Maybe that is what it says but I can tell you it takes me a little over 90 minutes to get there.

Edit: I asked my dad to see if maybe I drive fast as he does not and he said the same thing and when I told him what mapquest said he just said no way is it that long.

With Highway 50 running thru Pueblo it makes it easy to get to the mountains.
I beg to differ. I make the drive from Pueblo to Montrose quite frequently. Yesterday, the traffic was minimal (surprising for a holiday weekend) and it took about 2 hours just to get to Salida. The ski area is a good 25-30 minutes up the mountain from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado