Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:51 PM

79 posts, read 485,072 times

Advertisements

In a perfect world I would first find a job and then relocate. However, setting conventional wisdom aside, how does one go about relocating before landing a job?

Our original plan was:
•Save $80k (down payment, reserves, moving expenses, etc.) by June 2008
•Move to Colorado in July 2008
•Rent a 1 bedroom apartment for 6 months (continue to save and pay off cars)
•Purchase our 1st house 1st Qtr 2009

Monkey Wrench (change of plans)
Now, just as we broke the $50k mark with our savings, my wife is losing her job!
I’m thinking we should relocate NOW because it doesn’t make sense for her to look for another job only to quit after 5 months. That would only hurt her resume and make it that much harder for her to get a job in Colorado. Plus, we may be able tuck more money away in CO due to the lower cost of living.

We currently live in Orange County, CA and pay $2k/mo in Rent for a 2 bdrm. I make $80k/yr as a Commercial Real Estate Financial Analyst and my wife makes $62k as Assistant. Project Manager. I figure if we move to the Denver Metro area (Parker, Centennial, etc.) rent would be around $800/mo for a 1 bdrm and I could probably find a job for around $65k and my wife can find something for around $35k.

I just called a couple of apartment communities for some information and I was told that we need jobs and the ability to prove our income (understandably so) in order to qualify for an apartment.

•How do I find a job while living out of state?
•Should I put a Colorado address on my resume?
•How can I rent an apartment if I don’t have a job?

Thanks you all for your help. This is such a valuable community.

God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,787 times
wow i am only 18 and hardly own anything but i currently am only paying car insurance as recently the cars title went to my name but i am movin without a job in place just sorta wingin it , but i am just a lil stubborn and stupid but i love colorado so thats ok

Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 PM

136 posts, read 741,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlucero2002 View Post
In a perfect world I would first find a job and then relocate. However, setting conventional wisdom aside, how does one go about relocating before landing a job?

Our original plan was:
•Save $80k (down payment, reserves, moving expenses, etc.) by June 2008
•Move to Colorado in July 2008
•Rent a 1 bedroom apartment for 6 months (continue to save and pay off cars)
•Purchase our 1st house 1st Qtr 2009

Monkey Wrench (change of plans)
Now, just as we broke the $50k mark with our savings, my wife is losing her job!
I’m thinking we should relocate NOW because it doesn’t make sense for her to look for another job only to quit after 5 months. That would only hurt her resume and make it that much harder for her to get a job in Colorado. Plus, we may be able tuck more money away in CO due to the lower cost of living.

We currently live in Orange County, CA and pay $2k/mo in Rent for a 2 bdrm. I make $80k/yr as a Commercial Real Estate Financial Analyst and my wife makes $62k as Assistant. Project Manager. I figure if we move to the Denver Metro area (Parker, Centennial, etc.) rent would be around $800/mo for a 1 bdrm and I could probably find a job for around $65k and my wife can find something for around $35k.

I just called a couple of apartment communities for some information and I was told that we need jobs and the ability to prove our income (understandably so) in order to qualify for an apartment.

•How do I find a job while living out of state?
•Should I put a Colorado address on my resume?
•How can I rent an apartment if I don’t have a job?

Thanks you all for your help. This is such a valuable community.

God bless
One option is that your wife goes to Denver herself first and rents an apartment there and starts her job hunting. She should be able to rent an apartment since you still holds your job (I assume it is not required to have "local" job in order to rent). You can even take some of your vacation days and go with her. Just don't quit your job before you rent an apt.

Another way is to convince apt owners by using your savings proof.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:39 PM

79 posts, read 485,072 times
I just got an idea from onthamove. Thanks buddy. What we could do is... rent a room from someone who is looking to rent to a couple. It may be a bit akward, and we'll have to sacrafice, but its a way. I'll have to run it my the wife.

Reminds me of my college / party days. Sweet!

Last edited by mrlucero2002; 12-21-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
If you can afford to live for a time without working,it may be worth it( to move first and rent a small apartment with a short term lease), as employers (in my experience) prefer to hire people who are living in the area. Of course this varies ,depending upon the kind of work you want.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM

52 posts, read 292,413 times
I'm sure you can rent without a job by prepaying your lease? Just a thought!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM

152 posts, read 617,918 times
My husband and I are in a similar boat. We are relocating to Denver around Jan 15. He already has a job up there, but I don't. We are probably going to rent an appt too. I'm sure if one of you has a job, you'll be able to rent. I can't imagine BOTH needing work. What if your wife was a stay at home mom and had not out of the home job, or vice versa? Here's an idea... we'll move up there and the you guys can rent with us for 6 months! Ha ha! ok, even though I have NO idea who you are, I'm only half kidding It's tough relocating. We are moving from AZ.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 PM

wat i am doing is a 6month lease...heck i dont make near the income requirement i am paying 6months up front so they know they will get there money, without having a job there really is no other way i know of...

Old 12-21-2007, 05:46 PM

in cash , they like that

Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Actually, in my experiece, it's not too hard to rent w/o a job (though it was a long time ago that we did that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado