Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times

Advertisements

If this is the biggest issue you have, you should consider yourself pretty lucky. Lighten up, it is what it is.

Keeping your Florida registration would eventually get you cited as you have a limited time period to register your car in CO once you begin residency. You can get away with it for a while.... but sooner or later.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:17 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
If this is the biggest issue you have, you should consider yourself pretty lucky. Lighten up, it is what it is.

Keeping your Florida registration would eventually get you cited as you have a limited time period to register your car in CO once you begin residency. You can get away with it for a while.... but sooner or later.....
I have at least one friend from Florida as well who has been here for over two years and still hasn't registered. I myself have a pristine driving record and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon as I have only become a safer driver with age.

I just wish they would have made this detail more known. If I would have known this is what was required then I would have kept my registration in Florida. I don't plan on being here in Colorado for but a few years but I do plan on keeping my car for many many years. I don't want holes in it when I take it back to Florida and no longer need the front license plate.

I'm looking at no drilling options now. I just need to find a good cord to wrap the plate around the bumper. Not sure what to use or how sturdy it will be but I actually trust that more than me using a drill on anything.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I took a thorough look and I even took it to the dealership. Everyone said I would have to drill. I don't even own a drill. I'm never going to use a drill. And I am not buying a drill just for this.
That just strikes me as very odd. I moved up here from a one-plate-state (Oklahoma) with a car that had been bought in that state, and I had a bracket to put a front plate on when I got my Colorado plates.

I find it very hard to believe that auto manufacturers wouldn't have this option on the grounds that 'where the car is bought' doesn't always equal 'where the car stays'.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
I have at least one friend from Florida as well who has been here for over two years and still hasn't registered. I myself have a pristine driving record and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon as I have only become a safer driver with age.

I just wish they would have made this detail more known. If I would have known this is what was required then I would have kept my registration in Florida. I don't plan on being here in Colorado for but a few years but I do plan on keeping my car for many many years. I don't want holes in it when I take it back to Florida and no longer need the front license plate.

I'm looking at no drilling options now. I just need to find a good cord to wrap the plate around the bumper. Not sure what to use or how sturdy it will be but I actually trust that more than me using a drill on anything.
You just moved to a great state, try not to let this get your blood pressure too high. I was irritated too, for about five minutes, when I registered my Lexus after moving from NC. Besides, you could get away with not having a plate for a while, but probably not for several years. In any case, if you can find no drilling options, then use them. But most cars have thin plastic areas where the screws go, and if not, you really don't need a construction background to make it work. And you don't need to use four screws-two worked just fine for me.

Finally, about your pristine record. You're not alone, and no one plans on turning into a worse driver. But you will get pulled over at some point- whether sliding off the road in a snowstorm, not understanding the rules of a roundabout, or just parking anywhere in the city, as the parking cops can and do cite people for not having a front plate. Once the plate's up, you'll forget how irritated you are now. Might as well just do it and move on....

Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:

If you're not going to follow Colorado's laws and you want to be a deadbeat, then move the hell back to Florida and be happy there! Yes, Colorado law requires you to have a front license plate. Get over it, and follow the law.

If you are a resident of Colorado for more than 90 days, you are REQUIRED to obtain a Colorado driver's license and Colorado license plates. Period. Just because other people break the law and get away with it doesn't mean that you should. There are people that break the law and rob banks, too, and may not get caught, but that doesn't make it right.

I became disgusted with the way Colorado was going with some of its laws, too. I didn't break those laws--I moved. Real simple.

Last edited by jazzlover; 09-04-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Just wait 'til you have to pay the registration fee to get those plates!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Don't feel bad my sister moved to Florida and they are to cheap to issue front plates and she is crying about the holes in the front of her dodge neon. it will soon be a classic and the value is now ruined.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 PM

7,518 posts, read 13,624,634 times
OP,
did you see the post at //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...y-dispute.html
where the young lady got ticketed on the day she was going to get a front plate holder installed ?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
OP,
did you see the post at //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...y-dispute.html
where the young lady got ticketed on the day she was going to get a front plate holder installed ?
This is a depressing story. It is just a silly requirement.

I bought some zip ties tonight and I will try to use those to display the license plate. Like all the other new Mazda3 vehicle's my car has the cutest smile on it though and now it will look like it has a huge chipped tooth!!

But while I am taking a great job here and I think my career will blossom for a few years I do not plan on making CO my permanent home. So I am not drilling holes into my bumper. I'll just stick to the zip ties for now.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 PM

142 posts, read 243,655 times
Poor me...I moved from Virginia where you must have front and back license plates to New Mexico where there is only a back plate. Now my car which originally started out in NY, has extra holes in the front bumper! My life is ruined!

You seem to be a little obsessed with that Mazda 3. Wait until you get a scratch or dent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado