Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 AM

6 posts, read 9,775 times

Advertisements

Our family is making a move from quiet western colorado to the front range soon. I want to be closer to my family that lives in Nebraska. (I had to make several trips last year due to their health issues). I am frightened by a culture shock but wonder if Morrison and Evergreen areas would be less intimidating. My husband will be working in Lakewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM

403 posts, read 759,284 times
I think you are correct in thinking about areas like Evergreen and Morrison. You might also want to consider Conifer as well. A commute to Lakewood wouldn't be bad at all.

My very good friends moved from Grand Junction to Conifer a few years ago and they love it here. The foothills will you allow you easy access to Denver, but give you some breathing room from neighbors and some pretty scenery. In addition, you won't need air conditioning at our elevation

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to answer any since I live, work, and play in Evergreen!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. Thinking of the Conifer option, what is the traffic like for commuting on 285 compared to I70 (to Evergreen). My husband finds public transportation appealing as well.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:03 PM

403 posts, read 759,284 times
On any given day, Hwy 285 is a breeze to drive on. Commuting during the week isn't an issue unless there's a snowstorm or accident. I'd say there's 8-10 days per year where the roads are sketchy with ice and snow. Accidents usually happen just below Indian Hills where there's a windy stretch of canyon road and some will cause the closure of the road for investigation and clean-up. If that happens, you can take Pleasant Park Rd. (out of Aspen Park/Conifer) to Deer Creek Canyon Rd. to C-470 as a back up option to Hwy. 285 into Denver. For the most part, it is a very well maintained concrete highway. It is starting to have some volume on the weekends in the summer with people heading South to camp and ATV, but it doesn't ever come to a complete stop unless there is an accident. In my opinion, I think that 285 is much more pleasurable to drive on than I-70 in the foothills. Drivers are much less aggressive.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,559 times
From your post I'm guessing you want to stay as close to the mountains as possible while still being rural. I'm from the Western Slope and now live in Colorado Springs. This side of the Divide is a different world. If work and family take you between Lakewood and Nebraska I would take a good look at the suburbs of Denver that lie in Park County. Bailey, Conifer and Evergreen are an easy enough commute to Lakewood and still retain a bit of their small town personality.

However, if you're looking at moving to those places and still want to be part of a small community, don't rule out the towns in Clear Creek County. Idaho Springs, Georgetown, Silver Plume and Empire are within a 45 minute commute to Lakewood and are great, funky little towns.

I-70 can be a beast at times but if you're willing to deal with the occasional traffic it's a pretty rural and decent area to live while still being in a small-town setting.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlekw View Post
I-70 can be a beast at times but if you're willing to deal with the occasional traffic it's a pretty rural and decent area to live while still being in a small-town setting.
Occasional traffic? If the OP is used to commuting times on the Western Slope, she's not likely going to be prepared for the type of events below.

Heavy Holiday Traffic Jams I-70 Going Into Mountains « CBS Denver

Mountain events cause I-70 traffic jams - The Denver Post

I recommend that they live in Golden or Arvada. Next to the foothills but close to Lakewood, and real cities to boot that only later became part of the greater metro area.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 PM

That is valuable info. Is Turkey Creek Canyon road a good back way into Evergreen or am I thinking wishfully? And yes, we are looking at the Golden/Morrison area.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
My condolences on having to leave the Western Slope. I repeatedly turned down jobs in Denver that paid more than twice my Western Slope income, rather than having to work in the Denver craphole. My choice a few years back was to live out of Colorado when I was offered a much higher income job that I just couldn't turn down.

If living in Denver metro is an absolute necessity, I would pick living in the old part of Golden proper. It's still a pretty quite place and a (relatively) easy commute to Lakewood. That said, given a choice of that or living just about anywhere in Nebraska, I would take Nebraska. Yeah, no mountains and not as nice a climate, but way better in a whole lot of other ways. I've been very impressed with Nebraska's lower living costs, good quality schools, and--around Omaha--very good medical facilities.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
I agree with Jazz, I feel for you having to leave the Western Slope. I'd have a tough time leaving to go back to Denver. That said, it really depends how important mountains and a western feel are to you, and it sounds like they are. So I think you're exploring the right areas: Evergreen and especially Conifer/Aspen Park, etc. I'd expand it out to Floyd Hill, Idaho Springs, and even places like Coal Creek Canyon and maybe Peak-to-Peak. Oh, also anywhere from Turkey Creek to Indian Hills to Kittredge to Genessee. 285 has much less traffic but I-70 is more direct to a lot of things, and there are still a few spots in the foothills that could put you down on 6 or to the Golden light rail stop in 20 minutes, which could be a good option. One note on Golden/Morrison- most listings for both towns are really suburban Lakewood or Arvada. Just FYI. There's not a lot of actual housing stock available in Golden or Morrison proper. Just remember- in general you have to go up a bit to feel removed from the urban area.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrickbaum View Post
My husband will be working in Lakewood.
How about Lakewood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado