Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 PM

22 posts, read 91,215 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in Longmont and the school district is St Vrain Valley district. After some research my wife and I like to enroll our 5 year old kid to Niwot Elementary. We do not live in the area that the school covers, but the district has an open enrollment policy which is very nice.

The problem is this school enrollment is "first come, first serve" and we are told there are already a long waiting list.

In this situatioin, is there still any chance we can squeeze in?

Do you have such experience before? Any trick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
According to the SVVSD website: St Vrain Valley School District the open enrollment app period is over Jan. 15. You still have 11 days to apply. I believe all the apps received by that date are treated the same.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
I doubt there is any trick you can do. If there is a waiting list then they will go by the waiting list. Niwot Elementary is a larger elementary than the other two schools that eventually feed into Sunset Middle school though.
The Niwot school vibe can be a difficult one to break into. I'll leave it at that. Also, be aware, that according to district policy, your open enrollment is approved for one year:
http://www.stvrain.k12.co.us/policies/J/JFBA.pdf
In other words, if the school becomes crowded due to kids who are zoned for there, then your child could be out. The policy is not, once you are in you are set. This year Niwot High School was closed to open enrollment. I know that is a long ways off for your little one, but I think that has been the trend in general for the High School, and you would hate to have your child get that far and then not continue with friends.
I know it's tough and Niwot High is a fantastic high school. Our son went to Indian Peaks Elementary, is now in Sunset and will go to Niwot. We so far have loved all of his schools. I loved the bilingual element of Indian Peaks. My son is in advanced classes now in Sunset and is being encouraged by teachers to go into the IB program next year at Niwot, so it's not like he didn't get a great education.
Good luck with a tough decision! I would have to say though that the odds might be pretty stacked against getting in.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
you will need to move into the school's service area, to guarantee enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: