Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

22 posts, read 112,638 times

Advertisements

After living in Kansas for several years, I really miss Colorado and want to come HOME. We spent several years living in the Conifer area, but are considering the west slope. We'd like to find a place with the following: 1. Clean air. 2. Good bike riding, but not extreme mountain biking nor riding on or next to a busy road (car exhaust can make me sick in a hurry) 3. A good health food store not too far away 4. A well-built 3-bedroom house for under $400,000 (are there any?) 5. Not an extremely long drive for access to good medical care. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,057 times
I would avoid Grand Junction. Traffic is terrible and every road is busy if you plan to commute by bike. My husband rides his to work often, and he has been hit twice already! People do not watch for road bikes here at all. The air is becoming less clean, but the county does not have any sort of emissions so we must live with the dirty inversion in the winter. Suburbian sprawl is out of control. There used to be farm land all around me even four years ago. Now it is becoming subdivision after subdivision with no real planning. It is a mess!! I am moving soon and can't wait to get out of here!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Are you planning to work? If a job is not a concern, you could live just about anywhere. Good medical care (I actually prefer the term health care) is available along the Front Range, with Denver/Aurora being the leader by far. The CU Medical, BS Nursing, Pharmacy, and Physical Therapy schools are all in Denver. Also Regis U. has a BSN program and PT school in Denver. Metro State has a BS Nursing pgm. COS and Greeley also have BSN programs. I mention this because a teaching presence is important in health care. The Greeley students come down to the Denver/Boudler area for clinical experience. Of course, most every medium sized city in the state has a hospital, including the moutnain communities.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the information--that's pretty much what I had heard about Grand Junction. We've been looking at some of the smaller communities within driving distance, wondering if they are any better.

Thanks for the input. Fortunately, we don't have to work. Good medical care is important, but more important is staying out of the smog. That pretty well eliminates Denver as well as a lot of the front range.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-16-2008 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: merge

Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 PM

179 posts, read 621,811 times
Why not check out Durango? It seems like it would totally fit your bill. I just looked up realty around the area for up to 400,000 and it looks good. Also there is that new Mercy Medical Regional Center which is gigantic in the south part of town. And, of course, mountain biking abounds in Durango.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:03 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,700,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DgoNative View Post
Why not check out Durango? It seems like it would totally fit your bill. I just looked up realty around the area for up to 400,000 and it looks good. Also there is that new Mercy Medical Regional Center which is gigantic in the south part of town. And, of course, mountain biking abounds in Durango.
I second this; Durango is a wonderful town.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Montrose has a good community hospital, and just instituted a new cancer center. Certainly the price range for housing is where the OP mentioned. And the outta-town (Ridgway/Ouray within 30 minutes) can't be beat. I'm sure there's some kind of healthy food store in Montrise, after all, the Mountain Market in Ridgway has its own section for same.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 PM

We've been investigating both Durango and Montrose and both sound promising. I wasn't quite sure whether the mountain bike riding in the area was too extreme for us or not. Both sound like they should have access to health food and good medical care, a big plus.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu12345 View Post
We've been investigating both Durango and Montrose and both sound promising. I wasn't quite sure whether the mountain bike riding in the area was too extreme for us or not. Both sound like they should have access to health food and good medical care, a big plus.
If you have some health condition that requires special care, I would suggest checking things out before moving there. Both of these places will offer good standard care, but if anything extraordinary happens to you, you will probably have to get care in Denver.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 PM

179 posts, read 621,811 times
Mercy Regional Medical Center in Durango is an excellent hosipital. For some reason Pittnurse thinks it is just some small mountain facility, but it is actually a state of the art hospital with many services offered that one could find only in large cities. Here is their website Mercy Regional Medical Center; Durango, CO for you to check out.
Also, I forgot to mention the health food store options. There is the Durango Natural Foods Co-op, and Nature's Oasis downtown. Nature's Oasis is about to start building a new store south of downtown which will increase their sq footage immensly. Also, the Farmers Market which happens every weekend of the summer in the First National Bank of Durango parking lot is an awesome opportunity to sample local, organic fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado