Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: spinal injury, long term disability, four seasons, affordability, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 AM

28 posts, read 114,592 times

Advertisements

Iowa.

What's a person to do, short of giving in and moving back?

Some background is in order. We moved to Canon City a year ago. Unfortunately this was made possible only through my permanent disability from a spinal cord injury a couple of years back. Between my SocSec / long term disability payments and my wife's side income, we've been doing OK. Granted, being able to get around without a walker or wheelchair and be able to live and work in Iowa or anywhere elsee would be my preference.

But, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade, they say. Since I had become "sort of mobile" (hence the moniker), we were now blessed, or cursed, with being able to choose where we wanted to live. I say cursed because it's easy to give into wanderlust. We'd been thinking about leaving Iowa for a western state for nearly five years, but thought better of it. Didn't want to pay the "mountain tax" i.e low salaries or underemployment, plus we didn't think it was worth coming out to anywhere w/o jobs.

Now, when we have the choice of living where we want, it's easier to second guess if we'd made the right decision. If it were just me, I'd be happy staying in Canon. The climate is ABQ without the ABS of a big city. I don't mind the semi-rural nature of this place at all. Donkeys beat big city jackasses any day. But then ,i grew up in a farming community w/ cornfields to the east and west sides of the house (great sunrises & sunsets) And, I marvel at all of the old iron (especially trucks)fading, not rusting away.

My wife and daughter are used to living in city/suburbs and have found they like to be closer to decent shopping than the 40-45 min to Pueblo or Springs. They miss the lush, green summers found most years in Iowa. I've tried to remind them of the five months of gray, cold and/or snowy weather. They want four distinct seasons. Snow melts too fast here, they say.

I'll admit wishing we had chosen an area closer to Denver if we had it to do over again. Not quite so dry as Canon. But, now they say no deal. It's back to the old neighborhood in Iowa for them, and the sooner the better.

I'm afraid we'll get back to Iowa and say "what have we done?" I really feel we should stay put here one more year and check out other CO options. That's probably going to be the Front Range btwn Ft Collins and the Palmer Divide. Pueblo's just too hot for them, and CO Springs is just too close to the mountains for all of us, as in 4pm mountain shadow in the winter. All suggestions welcome for affordable areas within a 20 to 25 min drive of of decent shopping ( not just WalMart, but Target and maybe a mall) Also, I'd appreciate any talking points to help persuade the girls to stay in colorado. Granted, we've seen a good portion of the States and Iowa stacks up pretty well overall. I'd pick it over just about anywhere else but here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,378,962 times
Dude, i've been to Iowa. I can't beleive you'd prefer that barren moonscape to Colorado.

Your girls don't know how lucky they are to be here.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM

355 posts, read 1,404,681 times
yeah u said it.....u should be closer to denver

Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Quote:
Dude, i've been to Iowa. I can't beleive you'd prefer that barren moonscape to Colorado.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone is cut out to be a Coloradoan. There are many other great places in this wonderful country, including Iowa.

For the OP... It can take upwards of a year to regain equilibrium after a major move, so things might begin getting better for them soon. That said, I suspect that your daughter and wife may be struggling for a reason. Are they missing friends/family they have in Iowa? Have they joined any groups or activities in Colorado that will help get them involved in the community? Were they fully supportive of the move when it happened, or did they come along to make you happy?

Sometimes we look backwards with rose-colored glasses. How about going back to Iowa for a vacation or two, so all of you can see it with fresh eyes? Then, you can re-visit the decision to stay or go.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-17-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Any of the 'home turf' affected by all the flooding? Would you want to go back there if it were?

You've got to give CO another year...it'll 'gel' for you or it won't. Now is not the time to set yourself back with another major move...especially with all the uncertainty in the economy lately.

Besides, Iowa's a fairly 'easy' drive to go visit family & friends for a long weekend here and there...just ease up on the gas pedal

Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,954 times
Check out the areas between Boulder and Denver if you're looking to relocate in CO. Boulder and Denver both have their own flavors and you are close to most anything you want. We live in Louisville and just love it! I had family in Iowa and they left and never returned. Don't give up, remember "the grass is always greener..."

Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I agree with Micktooth that living closer to Denver (that's sort of paraphrasing what he said, I know) would be perhaps better for your family. I happen to live in the same town as him, and I agree, it's a great place.

I have been to Canon City many times, and I can sort of see why your family feels as they do. It is quite isolated, and COS and Pueblo are a long haul for say, buying a pair of jeans and the like. I'm not a big "mall rat" myself, but I think I'd like a little more choice than the local Wal-Mart.

However, your OP said they don't want to go that route, either. I disagre with those who think Iowa is a wasteland. It's green, beautiful and hilly. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,622 times
Wink All sorta depends

I like the idea of revisiting Iowa. How about a month or so in the midst of grey winter to see if as wonderful as remembered?

Lots of options between Denver, CO and Ft. Collins, CO. All the shopping and other activities the girls might like, and lots of pleasant neighborhoods. In many of them, at least in the summer, they keep the grass quite green. Certain areas also enjoy beautifully large, mature trees. As lush as Iowa, well, probably no. And if snow, yeah, unless well into the mountains it does melt off fairly quickly.

The Cascade mountains of the American northwest have lots of snow, and in instances ready access to the greater Seattle, WA metro area. However if near Seattle it is mostly rain. And when it comes to grey skies you might wonder what universe you had entered.

Of course further south there is a lot more sun and the mountains have lots of snow. Not as distinct a four season climate in the mountains as New England, but not as nearly harsh a winter either. But the larger metro areas are closer to the coast, and more of a mediterranean climate. Someplace such as South Lake Tahoe, CA might not be your idea of a shopping mecca. Not to mention many places in California will feel quite removed from Iowa culturally.

If not Iowa, maybe a better location within Colorado is a good option. It's just that Colorado is basically semi-arid and will never be as lush as another area might.

But have you considered New England? Definitely four seasons, if a bit cold in winter. Do believe they have a bit of sun come winter, in certain spots. Culturally not the same as Iowa, but surely closer than California or most anywhere on the Pacific coast. Places like Keene, NH are much as a beautiful postcard, if viewed from certain angles. With a little looking you might also reach a happy medium between small town quaintness and big city amenities.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I disagre with those who think Iowa is a wasteland. It's green, beautiful and hilly. Good luck with your decision.
I came here to say that. If someone wants to see barren wasteland, try driving from Hoover Dam to Kingman AZ. Now THAT looks like Mars.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 PM

28 posts, read 114,592 times
"For the OP... It can take upwards of a year to regain equilibrium after a major move, so things might begin getting better for them soon. That said, I suspect that your daughter and wife may be struggling for a reason. Are they missing friends/family they have in Iowa? Have they joined any groups or activities in Colorado that will help get them involved in the community? Were they fully supportive of the move when it happened, or did they come along to make you happy?"

Decision to move here was equally mine and my wife's. Daughter didn't really want to come here. She looks at it as vacationland, not a place to live. That being said, I feel she had a good year in school...great grades,
major role in a school play, several new friends. On the other hand, wife and I need to work on engaging more with the community.

"es we look backwards with rose-colored glasses. How about going back to Iowa for a vacation or two, so all of you can see it with fresh eyes? Then, you can re-visit the decision to stay or go.[/quote]"

Actually, we did that, during the the horrid rains in June. In one of the storms, there was so much rain and wind that it looked like a blizzard. I won't use that as a reason not to go back, though! I think going back to Iowa for vacation made their longing to go back for good even stronger.

Last edited by SortaMobile; 07-17-2008 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: add "s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado