Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times

Advertisements

I never once got the impression the OP planned to DUI in the future. I think he's legitimitely concerned about figuring out insurance requirements and anything else the state might require to obtain a license here in CO.

The best answer to that would be a call to the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 07:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
There is no remorse whatsoever. This guy is learning how people in Colorado treat those that are just concerned in how the law will treat them when they continue attempted murder / reckless disregard for life against people they don't know. If I get the chance, I will push for Colorado to have a life time ban on driver's license on the second offense with mandatory sentencing. DUI are extremely serious. I've followed people that were drunk at the wheel, called 911, and tailed them until the cops showed up behind me to confirm which vehicle they should pull over. I've done it enough times I lost track of the number. I see someone drunk behind the wheel, I start tailing (from a healthy distance back and often in the other lane) while I get 911 on the line.

According to Paul Zador, Sheila Krawchuk, and B. Moore, the average person who is caught driving drunk has already gotten away with it 87 times. Source:
http://freakonomics.com/2010/04/27/d...ss-half-empty/

So, on average, if you had "only" 2 DUIs in such an incredibly massive and unfair period as 10 years, that means 174 drunk trips assuming there was never another drinking and driving situation after the second DUI. In 10 years that would come out to roughly 1 in 20 days involved driving under the influence.

So to the OP, the law is this.

Don't do it. Don't do it. Learn to show some remorse. Don't do it. That random guy two cars back in the other lane is following you and talking to dispatch. I would hope that our state would refuse to issue a license to someone that has multiple DUIs.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiabreed760 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Colorado from California. The only thing is that I have multiple DUIs. How does the dmv treat out of state DUIs?
It's in a national registry and you're no better off no matter where you move, thankfully for the rest of us.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiabreed760 View Post
Wow I asked for info not for your opinion on my issues. So again if anyone knows about the laws then please share your info. If you only want to preach about it, then please keep scrolling. Thanks. And "multiple" refers to more than one that happens within the probation period. Which is 10 years. So please keep your judgment comments to yourself. Thanks
No thanks needed; you posted on a public forum and you deserve whatever you get, which is no respect. Nobody wants a drunk on their roads, and since you're habitual, one can only hope next time you'll be off the streets for good, one way or the other. I just hope an innocent person isn't taken out with you.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:52 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
I've tailed and called the police also. Stayed a safe distance back but gave an intersection by intersection route until a police car could get there to take them down. I have my local police dept's non-emergency number on speed dial so I don't have to bother the 911 operator. The local police dept. notes the intersection and transfers me to the dispatch for the correct dept. or highway patrol. Everyone should do it and get these idiots off the street.

I've also caught up to one in the mountains when crossing over the yellow line they hit an SUV with a baby in back that got sprayed by glass. I know this because when I went back to the shaken mother with the license plate I saw the poor kid. I got profuse thanks from the mom as well as a call from the drunk's insurance company to verify my testimony. Had been weaving back and forth across the line for quite some time. I didn't know then that I should have called right away so the police could get on him. Once the insurance company heard my testimony they paid up and probably dropped the idiot from coverage. If I hadn't left my number it would have been a he said/she said situation with the poor mom blaming herself. After that is when I started calling right away. A few more inches to the left and that mom and baby could have died.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:32 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
I must have had a few of you behind me a few years ago.

I was pulled over by the state patrol twice between Ft Collins and Colorado Springs. However, I hadn't been drinking. I was, however, driving an unrestored 50 year old car I had picke dup at a swap meet. Since it had a 50 year old steering system with bias ply tires, it tended to not track absolutely straight. I was perfectly capable of keeping it in my lane, but I guess some of its wandering freaked people out. Either that or the wet weather that caused the headlights to short out enroute and began blink incessently made people think I was a raging maniac. BTW, I was tooling along at a rock solid 65 mph too. Above the minimum and certainly below the limit.

Both officers were very understanding about the situation and simply laughed it off and let me go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado