Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:39 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

Little background:

Moved from So California to both Englewood, a few blocks from what was Coors Amphitheater (now Fiddler's Green) and later to Parker (south) for 5 1/2 years total (2002 thru 2007). Even with enduring a number of winter snowstorms and blizzards, we loved living there. Trips to RMNP (elk rut), rodeo's, boating/fishing on CC and Chatfield, Indian Pow Wows, stunning downtown Denver Christmas décor and parade and a few trips up to Wyoming. We were both raised in the snow belts of Michigan and Indiana, so snow wasn't a major problem like with some folks who were never raised around that season. I'm a former farm boy and loved being around livestock. Also, spent some years in pro-rodeo

Due to me falling in ice/snow, that required RC surgery, we decided to move to North Carolina/Huntersville w/much less winter. After wife got laid-off, we decided to move south to northeastern Florida. Been here since 2009, but have really grown not to like it or any other part of Florida. One thing we weren't thinking about when we left Colorado, either one of us could fall anywhere we are living.........even without being in snow/ice. I did just that, right here, which required RC surgery on the other shoulder.

Perhaps, all along, we somehow knew we would possibly move back to Colorado, because we kept our winter parka's. Have also sold/given away much of the Florida décor we had in our apt.

When/if we do move back, we will be 69/70. I'm already retired and wife will be retired, but will seek a part-time job wherever we end up. I read that lower altitudes/elevations, like here, and cold temps, which we can/do get here, contribute a lot to aches/pains of osteoarthritis and arthritis. High altitudes/elevations don't do that nearly as much.

Biggest thing wife is afraid of...........if we can actually handle the winters again. We did it then, but we were some 15 years younger.

BTW, we'd be looking at Longmont or Loveland to live. Completely staying away from Denver metro!

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
I know how you feel, except that I do NOT miss the traffic and growing hecticness of the Denver area. Funny, but my husband and I both kept our considerable stash of cold-winter clothing from head to hands to feet! I also kept all my desert and mountain books and most maps, too.

If you want relatively mild winters, pick the flattest, sunniest, lowest elevation parts of the Denver area. Maybe even consider Pueblo. Also, pick a house with a short driveway and house entry in full sun. Don't let snow melt and freeze on driveways or walkways, and especially not on stairs.

Frankly, the winters might feel harder to you after living so many years in the southeast; it's hard to say what your threshold will be since I am not you. I am about 10 years younger also. I will say that even the coldest winter air feels more normal than the mild, damp air we lived in in western, maritime WA. I still don't actually like snow or bitter cold, just am still used to it after growing up and living almost my whole life in it! Every place has its tradeoffs.

Good luck coming back home. I love being back in CO despite its many difficult aspects.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Fiddlers Green was Fiddlers Green before it was Coors Amphitheater. They just changed the name back to what it originally was.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 03-03-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Fiddlers Green was Fiddlers Green before it was Coors Amphitheater. They just changed them name back to what it originally was.
Ahh, yes, the famous Comfort Dental Arena...

Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 AM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I would (am) consider a continuing care retirement community. I will be 65 when I move to my retirement house in the mountains, and consider that, with age, I might need more provided than I can take care personally. I did visit Wind Crest outside Denver and thought of it as a template- independent apartments with moves to assisted living and so forth if need be. Covered walkways to all needs (indoor pool, restaurants!) for winter, easy access to Denver/transportation and transport to some city things. I am not involved with Wind Crest in any way, just saw it as my first observation of the possible need for living in a place like it.

And yes, we can always fall, but winter adds an extra dollop. Best wishes to OP on returning home!

Old 03-03-2017, 10:23 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ahh, yes, the famous Comfort Dental Arena...
Ha! I must have missed those 3 years.

Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre (1988-95, 2003-10, 2013-present)
Coors Amphitheatre (1995-2003)
Comfort Dental Amphitheatre (2010-13)

Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Fiddlers Green was Fiddlers Green before it was Coors Amphitheater. They just changed the name back to what it originally was.
Thanks for the info. We lived in an apt complex next to Caley. We could go outside and hear whoever was playing there. Went there once for an Easter morning church service. Great service in a great facility!

Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I know how you feel, except that I do NOT miss the traffic and growing hecticness of the Denver area. Funny, but my husband and I both kept our considerable stash of cold-winter clothing from head to hands to feet! I also kept all my desert and mountain books and most maps, too.

If you want relatively mild winters, pick the flattest, sunniest, lowest elevation parts of the Denver area. Maybe even consider Pueblo. Also, pick a house with a short driveway and house entry in full sun. Don't let snow melt and freeze on driveways or walkways, and especially not on stairs.

Frankly, the winters might feel harder to you after living so many years in the southeast; it's hard to say what your threshold will be since I am not you. I am about 10 years younger also. I will say that even the coldest winter air feels more normal than the mild, damp air we lived in in western, maritime WA. I still don't actually like snow or bitter cold, just am still used to it after growing up and living almost my whole life in it! Every place has its tradeoffs.

Good luck coming back home. I love being back in CO despite its many difficult aspects.
First, we'd be renting, not buying. For us, owning another home is just too much financially and physically.

We know how cold the winters can get there, but when retired, don't go out in that weather nearly as much. One thing for sure, it can get cold here! At 7AM today, it was 41 degrees. We've seen a daytime high here of 45 degrees.....and this is suppose to be Florida!

Not so sure about living in Pueblo. Crime stats aren't good there and gets pretty hot in the summer. Went there for the Colorado State Fair (love that Fair). Longmont and Loveland both have nice power boating/fishing lakes. Had a power boat when we lived there before. Spent many summer weekends on CC and Chatfield. Hopefully will be able to have our 20' Cuddy there.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
If you're just renting then why not consider the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a boater's paradise with great fishing and seafood. Click the link to see rentals over there. It might be worth one more year of your time rather than coming back to the Denver area where rentals are scarce and expensive.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
If you're just renting then why not consider the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a boater's paradise with great fishing and seafood. Click the link to see rentals over there. It might be worth one more year of your time rather than coming back to the Denver area where rentals are scarce and expensive.
Love freshwater fishing, not saltwater. Bought three saltwater rigs, and an entire tackle box is saltwater gear, when we got here in 2009. Didn't use any of it! Sold the rods/reels and gave the tackle box/gear away. Still have all of our freshwater stuff from when we lived there. We're not into seafood that much either.

Very seldom go to the beach here, like we thought we would. We're the lake and mountains type, we have found out and miss a lot.

And, remember, we aren't coming back to Denver. Most likely end up in Longmont or Loveland areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado