Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,403 times

Advertisements

With that out of the way, I ask this of the helpful veterans of this board:

I'm a 21 year old college junior (Hillsdale, MI) with nothing but a graduation date and a few thousand miles between me and my dream life. That is, I want to hike, climb and snowboard until my joints give way and senility quenches my thirst for elevation. I want to put life in perspective from 14,000 feet. I want to live in the place that Bono (should have) described in "God's Country."

My question: Where?

Option 1: Fort Collins.
Pro: Low cost of living, jobs, proximity to the park, CSU amenities
Con: Distance from ski resorts.

Option 2: Evergreen.
Pro: Proximity to Denver jobs, relative proximity to Summit County skiing. Con: Cost of living.

Option 3: Somewhere in the mountains like Leadville.
Pro: Immediate access to mountains, increased difficulty of mother-in-law tracking me down.
Con: Jobs and cost of living.

Option 4: Any suggestions? I'm a bit biased against Boulder due to the environment and dare I say lack of ideological diversity ...

I'll live out of my car and cook Ramen off the radiator if I have to. I'm moving to your gorgeous territory (displacing a few Calis), and if I run into any of y'all there I'll express my gratitude for your comments over a quality brew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 01:25 AM

20 posts, read 72,281 times
I have lived in Fort Collins. It is perfect for people your age. Lots to do with the many breweries in town, horsetooth reservoir, and plenty of night life. The job situation is not great as many people that go to CSU do not want to leave and look for jobs around town. However, if you are looking to be a ski bum and don't mind taking a less-desirable lower paying job, it shouldn't be too bad.

I have never been to Evergreen so I can't comment too much about it other than agreeing with you that its a bit pricey to live there.

As far as mountain towns go....you can't beat Leadville. Its soooo much cheaper than any of the more famous resort towns (i.e aspen or vail) to live in and to ski in. Also Ski Cooper just outside of town is a lot less crowded....more mountain for you. Leadville is probably my best guess as to what would make you happiest.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM

207 posts, read 809,247 times
Pagosa Springs

Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbill222 View Post
With that out of the way, I ask this of the helpful veterans of this board:

I'm a 21 year old college junior (Hillsdale, MI) with nothing but a graduation date and a few thousand miles between me and my dream life. That is, I want to hike, climb and snowboard until my joints give way and senility quenches my thirst for elevation. I want to put life in perspective from 14,000 feet. I want to live in the place that Bono (should have) described in "God's Country."

My question: Where?

Option 1: Fort Collins.
Pro: Low cost of living, jobs, proximity to the park, CSU amenities
Con: Distance from ski resorts.

Option 2: Evergreen.
Pro: Proximity to Denver jobs, relative proximity to Summit County skiing. Con: Cost of living.

Option 3: Somewhere in the mountains like Leadville.
Pro: Immediate access to mountains, increased difficulty of mother-in-law tracking me down.
Con: Jobs and cost of living.

Option 4: Any suggestions? I'm a bit biased against Boulder due to the environment and dare I say lack of ideological diversity ...

I'll live out of my car and cook Ramen off the radiator if I have to. I'm moving to your gorgeous territory (displacing a few Calis), and if I run into any of y'all there I'll express my gratitude for your comments over a quality brew.
What is your major?
What kind of work are you going to do?

What do you think your budget for rent or home purchase will be?

I am not an expert on the ski areas but I'd think living closer to them (west side of a metro area for example) while living near your job would be a good idea.

The living in the car with raman thing will last about a week.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,736 times
since you have a graduation date, then I assume you plan to work after you graduate. What areas will you be working in? If nothing major like in the resort towns, then the best choice would be to lover closer to the city (for work) and go to the mountains when needed (weekends etc.).

As you have mentioned, the places close to mountains have high cost of living. So the question is, what can you afford to have and then go from there.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,403 times
Thanks for the responses. I'm majoring in Communications, which could translate into marketing or public relations. (Later down the road, I might go to grad school and snag a professorship, but for now I want to get a few years' experience in the non-academic world). The prospect of landing a white-collar / admin job at a ski resort sounds appealing. Basically, I'm necessarily looking for a hardcore career track right away; I wouldn't mind spending a few (girlfriendless) years in a mediocre job just to pay for rent and season passes.

Housing budget would be around the $800/mo range.

I appreciate the help, everyone!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,380,457 times
I think you're going to find the ski bum life getting old fast. $800 a month will barely get you a studio or small 1br in most mountain communities. Your first priority should be getting a job so you can make it work. Fort Collins is so far from most ski areas it's not funny. You would not be able to make day trips to ski from there.

Depending on jobs, I'd suggest living either in West Denver or Dillon/Silverthorne/Frisco/Breckenridge or Leadville.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,768 times
Look for jobs in the classified in local papers or on ski area websites. Here in Summit County, the local paper is Summit Daily News for Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper and Frisco Colorado.

It'd be interesting to know if the people pooh-poohing the idea of living ski bum lifestyle have ever actually done it themselves or are basing their comments on what they think it's like and/or second/third/fourth-hand comments. You want advice from people who live/have lived the lifestyle, this is the wrong place to ask. This is the place. If you're willing to share a house/condo, you can get a spot for $300-$500 a month.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
If you get a job somewhere between Broomfield and Boulder, you could live in Nederland and drive 10 min to Eldora Ski area on any day off. They also have night skiing. People from here kind of make fun of Eldora, but my friends from VA thought it looked nicer than many "first-class" eastern resorts. (They have not skiied it, BTW, but I have.)

Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 AM

59 posts, read 159,336 times
First of all, I AM from California. Loved it there. But now I am in Colorado, and I love it here too. My parents are both from Hillsdale, MI; I haven't been back for a long time. Would like to visit again though; my grandfather had a farm there. My uncle raised hogs in Jonesville.

THAT being said..... I think "oberon" is right. I agree with everything he said!
Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado