Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:10 PM

46 posts, read 54,172 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Denver, but I'm considering moving to a quiet small town closer to nature, but with basic amenities. I visited Walsenberg and Alamosa a few times and think both fit my requirements. I'm tired of the big city, but couldn't live in a very tiny community.

I'm working remote, and can work from almost anywhere. That said, I'm not in a situation financially that I can afford to live in towns that are a little more fancy and expensive.

Which of the two towns would you pick if you were in my situation? What are your reasons why you like one town more than the other?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Alamosa by a long shot (for me) (if you don't need I-25 access)

...a lot nicer location and closer to other REALLY nice destinations *(especially Northern NM NICE areas)

Walsenburg means you have to drive AROUND the NM mtns and come in from SE (or drive nearly to Alamosa to head south on 159 (if headed to NM)

Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Alamosa. IMO no contest.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:53 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
A third vote for Alamosa. Stealth and I agree on something!

Curious since you’ve been to both what your impressions were of similarities and differences.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:02 AM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
Walsenburg has only 25% the city population of Alamosa. At county level is about 40%. Walsenburg is about 5 degrees warmer on average for year but in winter it is about 10-12 degrees warmer on the highs and about 20 degrees warmer on the lows. Alamosa has almost 50 days that get below zero, Walsenburg about 7. Both areas are heavily Hispanic. Walsenburg about 60%, Alamosa around 45%. In both cases the county land is less Hispanic. Both cities are poor but Alamosa is about 20% better off on average. Alamosa has more college graduates and the University generating more. Rental housing is moderately more in Alamosa. To buy, the average house is about 1/3rd less in Walsenburg but what you get for the money may vary. Both lean Democratic. Walsenburg is lower elevation but gets twice the precipitation and more than 3 times the snowfall on average. Both are a bit higher on violent crime than national average. Alamosa is almost twice as high on reported property crime.

There are some similarities, especially compared to Denver metro, but there are important differences too. The choice depends on your priorities.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-17-2018 at 12:20 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
Alamosa is a college town and that helps keep it alive. Walsenburg has been really struggling economically almost since its founding, and it shows in many ways. You said you work remotely, you might check into what speeds, etc., are available in these towns. My grandmother lives in the Veterans' home in Walsenburg and that place itself is nice. The state park there is nice particularly if you like to get on water - Lathrop State Park - and there are some decent fairly remote outdoor things to do around there. The town itself has very little in the way of food choices, things to do, etc., and may be less used to "new folks" moving in, fyi. Alamosa is much more used to people coming and going and has a bit more to offer in terms of basic amenities, imho - but you do need to be prepared for colder temps in winter. I think Alamosa is prettier, too - but that is subjective.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
Agree with otowi that with a remote job, internet speeds and stability of those speeds should be looked at first. I bet Alamosa is the win in that category.

I can recall going to Lathrop State Park back in high school when some of the immigrant families would all come out to the lake and use it as laundry day to get all the wash done in Martin Lake. They have changed all that now, done a lot of improvement and its a pretty decent place to visit. It did take a pretty heavy handed Ranger presence to turn that around and they still have that tendency to over-police at times still. I still visit there yearly, but wouldn't want to live in Walsenburg by a long shot. The Veteran's Center and Hospital is very nice there.

I had family that lived in the mountains outside of Del Norte in the western part of the San Luis Valley. The Valley is a neat place to be and Alamosa is "the city" in the valley for most things. Monte Vista would probably be more comparable to Walsenburg than Alamosa. There are actually some very wealthy families around the Center and Sargent areas. Sargent High School is usually among the top 10-15 academic performers in the state.

Might also consider Gunnison and Montrose, although both of these may be colder than Walsenburg and Alamosa, or maybe even Trinidad.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Alamosa has high speed fiber coming, although the date is still "TBD". I'm getting it in November, after being stuck on DSL for many years!

The electric company here in my part of the valley has already marked where their feeders down my street are buried, so they are ready to start digging!

http://www.ciello.com/content/coverage-map

Old 09-17-2018, 07:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
I've never been to Alamosa, and in general I don't like saying bad things about places, but Walsenburg pretty much sucks. Even La Junta is more attractive IMO.

Why aren't you looking at Trinidad OP?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlawiner View Post
Hello,

I currently live in Denver, but I'm considering moving to a quiet small town closer to nature, but with basic amenities. I visited Walsenburg and Alamosa a few times and think both fit my requirements. I'm tired of the big city, but couldn't live in a very tiny community.

I'm working remote, and can work from almost anywhere. That said, I'm not in a situation financially that I can afford to live in towns that are a little more fancy and expensive.

Which of the two towns would you pick if you were in my situation? What are your reasons why you like one town more than the other?

Thanks in advance

Schlawiner, I brought a ten year old thread on this forum up to date regarding your questions about the town of Walsenburg. The thread name is--"Co. Bound-Southern areas-Walsenburg?" It has a couple dozen posts that should give you an idea about its past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado