Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:40 AM

77 posts, read 87,498 times

Advertisements

The building department will tell you your setbacks from the house but keep in mind that septic tanks should be pumped to clear out solids every once in awhile so the pumper truck should have access to the tank. How often you pump it depends on usage. For a vacation home you can get away with once every 5 or 7 years I would guess. Once your drain field is graded, you won’t even know where it is. Plants like to grow on the field bc the black water is great fertilizer. About 80% of the black water goes up through transpiration with plants, not down into the soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 06:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
So much information (facts) is available, but yet so many crazy 'ideas'...
This stuff is dead SIMPLE for someone as experienced as the posters here!
I only have 14 wells on different properties at the moment, but I do not consider I'm 'experienced', but have been doing this gig since birth (living / owning rural, 20- 30 wells). I have a lot more to learn!

I'm sure OP already knows all this elementary stuff... but for the next reader...

For NEW construction, you will comply with existing regulations (Horizontal separation requirements).

FIRST get the info from your permitting jurisdiction, as there will be many varieties of solutions, at the state level.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cos...ning-resources
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...dure_final.pdf

then state / regionally...
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...mitguide_1.pdf
https://extension.colostate.edu/topi...ome-use-6-700/

or other counties that DO have guidance / restrictions... (always worth considering)
Septic and Well Information - Gilpin County
Well and Septic Systems

You definitely would not want a well in a residential house!!! too many potential contaminants + limited service access + NO / reduced recharge zone ... and a REALLY big (and conductive lightning rod! )
But...
1) You can build a well 'house' (tho not my desire...) why bother?
2) In freezing climates I do ONLY 'pit-less' well connections.
3) I usually put my pressure tank and other filters / treatment systems near POWER!!! / basement of house works nice (no freezing) .
4) I have wells many hundred feet from homes (You want the well where there is (clean) WATER!, the house where there is a view!). Further away MIGHT = more expensive wiring, but... maybe your power is passing by the well! (I will drop a CT can, or a meter at well if it is 'upstream' power-wise to house location. (pipe is CHEAP!!!!) trenching in solid rock is not cheap!, but if digging is EZ, well can be a VERY long way from the house. Use appropriate Dia pipe to not create a friction loss. (I use 1.5"dia for runs over 400') Your plumbing supply house has a chart! (for wire size and for pipe).
5) I see someone recommended a 4" casing!!! Yikes, that will restrict you if you have future problems (I have had to re-case several wells from 6" to 5". 4" would be too small, AND hold VERY little water volume in the 'head'. DEEP wells with low flow (think Colorado), benefit from extra 'head' storage.
6) Well site needs to be accessible to future rig set / pump trucks (and away from roads / driveways / cattle tanks, streams...)
7) Be sure to do your own 'well head seal' (bentonite mound / weather and rodent proof connections and cap.) (in addition to the first 25' casing seal done by driller) Drilled Wells

Aquifer recharge can be important (Know your soil structure and profile and available aquifers / and content / recharge / variation.)
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthgwaquifer.html
aquifer recharge
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...RcQsAR6BAgAEAE

Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 AM

77 posts, read 87,498 times
Have you been following this thread? Vik is talking about building a small vacation home that will be used a month or two each year. He’s acting as his own GC to save money so he’s on a budget. A 4in casing will flow fine for an in-house permit as long as he hits a good aquifer. Of course, you can always punch a bigger hole if you want to spend the extra money but it’s not really necessary for his situation.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 15,808 times
@HV, you should check out utube. There are a ton of vids from ppl/contractors putting in off-grid systems from active to passive and hybrids. Very informative.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Perc tests are no problem here due to an abundance of sand that percs very well. The county includes the perc tests after the permit is paid for.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
I would be somewhat concerned about radon or worse, methane leakage into the house.

Not a good situation.

I would NEVER put the well in the house.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:30 PM

152 posts, read 143,057 times
By in the house I mean a separate engineering room where watertanks , pumps, furnace etc. are placed, probably accessible from outside only, it's a typical part of houses where i'm from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado