Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 28,601 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people move to Colorado then move back within five years. What is the main reason why people move out of Colorado?
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I doubt there is any one main reason. Some don't find jobs. It is a good idea to have a least some serious possiblilities lined up before you come. Some get homesick for the families they have left behind. Some don't like the culture shock. Some don't like snow. The population is growing, so many must be staying.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:55 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I doubt there is any one main reason. Some don't find jobs. It is a good idea to have a least some serious possiblilities lined up before you come. Some get homesick for the families they have left behind. Some don't like the culture shock. Some don't like snow. The population is growing, so many must be staying.
The only reason I will move is if all the pine trees die. I hope that beetle problem goes away. It was my only reservation with moving here.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 AM

11 posts, read 54,719 times
Default Can you elaborate on the culture shock reasons?

Pittnurse70, when you refer to culture shock, is it specifically to do with direct contact of people in CO or is it something more like the environment in general? I can picture rural areas being slow for those who are used to faster-pace cities. Conversely, for someone like me who has gotten used to a smaller town (currently Portland, ME), dealing with the day-in and day-out affairs of a Denver or Colorado Springs may be overwhelming at first. I am exploring a move out to CO. In all honesty, the thing that is bothering me most in my fact-finding is whether people in Denver may be too stand-offish to deal with. I do not expect open arms from CO if I move there but hope that being a transplant is not stigmatized like it is for other places.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Voltaire_Newton_Groucho: I will elaborate. Many people have an idea of Colorado that is just not accurate. Some think it is this green Garden of Eden type place when it is brown most of the year. Some think they will be in the mtns if they live in Denver/Boulder/Ft. Collins. The reality is you must go many miles west to the foothills, let alone the true mtns. ETC.

I don't think the people here are unfriendly. It's not like upstate NY, Pittsburgh, et all where people will talk to you randomly in the stores. Some people here will look at you funny if you try to do that. But one on one, people are friendly. There are lots of transplants here (I am one). Some people tend to feel that after they've been here a while that no one else should be allowed entrance. DH and I never encountered any bias in hiring.

Things are different here, like they are different everywhere. My two kids found that out when they went to college out of state. It's very different to live somewhere else than it is to visit. I can't quite put it in words. You'll know it when you see it.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:27 AM

32 posts, read 147,981 times
Colorado people are no different that most people in the USA. When you hear that Coloradoan's hate out-of-staters....this is not true. What we hate is when someone comes from a different state and they try to change Colorado to what they came from. Please come to Colorado....it is a wonderful place to live and raise a family, enjoy the great outdoors, or be a Bronco or Rockies fan, but don't bring the best of your state with you....we are not interested.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't take the above as representative of all Coloradans. IMO, you can root for any team you want, or no team if that's what you want. I think it's possible for us all to learn from each other.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:22 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:
I wouldn't take the above as representative of all Coloradans. IMO, you can root for any team you want, or no team if that's what you want. I think it's possible for us all to learn from each other.
I hope not, I came here looking forward to routing for my Broncos and now my Rocks.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 AM

The ROX are the "golden boys" right now. My friend has tix for tomorrow; she has very mixed feelings about today's game! LOL!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
The ROX are the "golden boys" right now. My friend has tix for tomorrow; she has very mixed feelings about today's game! LOL!
I've got tix for today, game 3. Hopefully, won't be a game 4 of this series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado