Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times

Advertisements

Kimmer-
We love San Marcos. There are so many great things to like about North County. We just got to the point where the great things did not make up for the crappy stuff. And the great things here out out weigh the crappy things. Hope that makes sense.
I am not sure about school registration. Google the 'Lewis-Palmer School District 38'. It might have information about that. For sure you can contact the district and get information first hand. That is the district in the Monument area. Another desireable district is #20. There is zip code information on another thread.
Sunflower-
Our 18 yr old son moved out with us and didn't like it. He has since moved back to SoCal and seems to be happy(he's 21 now). Our nephew is same age and is in Boulder at CU. He likes it here. He loves to snowboard and do outdoor stuff. He grew up in Whittier.
We love this area and are happy to promote it, but there might be different things that you are looking for.
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,544 times
We live in Huntington Beach, CA. I'm heading out to Evergreen on Friday to stay with a friend who moved there 8 years ago and loves it. The problem is, he's a computer guy and works inside. I'm an electrical contractor and of course work all over, inside and out. The prospect of working outside in the cold months is a bit scary, but so is the number and type of people surrounding us here. I guess e'll find out in two days. Cheers

Old 01-24-2007, 08:10 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,900 times
Vfrpilot,
Thanks for the info. Same with us about San Marcos. Not necessarily that San Marcos is that bad, but even with all our equity (we bought a 1200 sq ' in '96) we still can't afford a decent size house. Bad is outweighing the good at this point.
The local govt here decided to let some developer lop off a huge portion of one of the tall mountains. The Mt. separating Discovery Hills and San Elijo Hills. They have a huge water tower up there now and we've had to fight plans for a golf course and custom homes up on that ridge. City council has finally passed a ridgeline ordinance so they can't lop off the tops of mountains for development any more, but the damage is already done for our mountain. It sticks out like a sore thumb. You can see it all the way to Carlsbad!
Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'll check on the school districts.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 PM

kimmer-
we were lucky. We bought in 1990 and sold in 2004.
I know the ridgeline. We used to ride mountain bikes all over those hills over to Mt Israel. Every square inch of those hills will soon be developed. My conspiracy theory>It all started with the fire that burned through what is now San Elijo Hills. It removed the habitat of some mouse and all of a sudden the permits were issued and grading began. I was told that Shadowridge was built after a fire cleared the way around enviromentalists concerns too.
Prarie Winds Elementary is where our daughter attends 1st grade. I think there are 14 kids with a teacher and assistant and usually a parent or two helping in her classroom. There are no portables, no grafitti, no gang kids or gang parents(we had those in SM), and the bus stop is right in front of our house(lucky again).
Paul

Old 01-25-2007, 02:14 AM

171 posts, read 879,940 times
Default Hi Neighbors

HI vfr and kim
We live in Shadowridge and that San Marcos mountain is know by many, especially the pilots as "The Sleeping Indian". I noticed the other day how they are carving it apart, it is so sad. You can see it from every direction.

We too are looking at CO, especially the Fort Collins area, for all the reasons you've mentioned. 6 days a week I think I can do this, it makes sense, better quality living and education for my children at a more reasonable price. Surrounded by beautiful Mountains and the nicest people. So then why 1 day a week do I panic and think, I can't do this.

Please if you can share, what you wish you would have known before you got there, I'd really appreicate it. And I mean both the disappointments and the pleasant surprises as well. And please tell me how you all managed to leave behind the friends and family, I am REALLY struggling with this part of it.

Thanks so much to all for your posts.
Kali

PS VFR, can you really compare 9 months of the same weather with north county? That's amazing, please elaborate if you don't mind.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 AM

Kali-
I am exagerating a little. OK, a lot. The average high temp in Apr is around 58, low 30. Stays warmer than that till around Oct, high 68, low40.
Check average temps on wunderground.com or a number of other sites. Maybe 3 months of NC weather and 5 months close. Naw, I'm not gonna argue about NC weather, it's perfect. Gotta go
Paul

Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Cin

72 posts, read 308,496 times
Kaligirl,
Your post really hit me hard. Only been in FC for 2 weeks. Some things you should know...people do not seem friendlier. I am friendly...but that isn't anything new. I have introduced myself and asked every stranger questions and they answer...but I haven't had one person really say...oh.welcome to CO...you will love it here or anything. It is just like it was in AZ...I am a little dissapointed...but people are people and moving in as the new person is harder as an adult for sure than it was as a kid. People warned me...but my husband wanted this fresh start and we read some awesome things about FC...I am not trying to be negative...but realistic. People are not going to try to be your friend right away...it will be up to you. I only had a couple of close friends in AZ and no family left there so the decision wasn't as hard for me...but still hard(I miss those 2 friends ALOT)I have had far from an easy life and my mom is now in the hospital and I do not have them (phone isn't the same) I feel vacant...scared...and I can't find a house to live in that feels good. UUUGGGHHH. Anyways..I have to be honest I have had a lot of yuck lately and I still have hope that things will all work out (i am a stubborn person)and at least I am now 8 hrs from my mom who is quite sick instead of 22. I just want to say because I have always believed this...there are nicer environments to live in almost always than where we are...but the people that are in our lives are what makes a city/state/place a home..... That all being said if you come...you can contact me...I am in need of some friends..by the way..I make even the crazy...and sad situations into a laughing matter. In other words even when life kinda sucks...I find something funny about it all.Good luck w/your huge decision. Cin(P.S....I am sure when the summer comes and I realize I am not in AZ and it is not 100+ for 5 months I will be more at peace!)

Last edited by Cin; 01-25-2007 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We moved from So Cal (Costa Mesa) to the Denver metro area in June 2002. We use to live on border of Englewood/Greenwood Village, but in 2004, we bought a house in Parker. Now, we knew what the weather would be like in Colorado because we are originally from Indiana (me) and Detroit, Mich (wife) and actually missed the 4 seasons we have here.
So far this winter, the weather has been pretty darn harsh on us. We still have quite a bit of snow and some ice all around our house. But, even though this winter has been harsh so far, the winters we been in since moving here been a walk thru a "rose garden" either (mild winters) like some people in this Colorado/Denver Forum says it is. We have both video and photos to prove these people WRONG. However, we do love Colorado/Parker, but will be selling our home and moving to NC later this year. Our bodies, at 57/58, can no longer handle these so-called "mild" winters anymore.
There are some "very good" reasons to move to Colorado, just as there is moving to inland NC, but So Cal people need to know the REAL truth when it comes to the weather here. And, hearing about it can be VERY different than actually living in snow/ice and highs of 7 (or less) degrees (sometimes) in the winter.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:50 PM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Hi from former Mesa AZ girl... In Fort Collins for a bit over a week and still in shock...........so is my doggie. It will be fine though just shocking weatherwise! Mild winters my a--!!! LOL Cin
Hang in there. This too shall pass. But seriously, this is not the norm. Look at what is happening in other states. Even AZ got snow.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:52 PM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
I have neighbors that are from Calif. They are having a hard time ajusting to the difference in wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado