Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times

Advertisements

To the OP, I think one could find truth to this here and there if they look hard enough.

I have nothing against Texas or Texans for that matter. I think they-as a whole-are the salt of the earth. Some simple and perhaps fun and boisterous people who take pride in their state. Nothing wrong with that. As was mentioned prior, Texas is a huge place with approx. 25 million people and it's such a large state-2.5 times the land mass of Colorado- that you have so much variety. From the arid western and slightly hilly plains to the very eastern-like green and humid climate to the east.

I'd bet those Texas skiers are getting pretty proficient by now too.

We joke a lot about Texas (we being the rest of the US of A). We joke about ourselves too. We do this because there are differences.

I can think of many good things that come from Texas; ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn and his bro (God rest his soul), my uncle Red, Tex-Mex, Armadillos.

Is it true that Texans think an armadillo is a flat creature that sleeps in the road? Is it true that a Texan has to drive 90 miles to get to his mailbox?

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-15-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Is it true that Texans think they own most of Colorado? ROFLMFAO X]

Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&AMOM View Post
The "Don't mess with Texas" slogan is there for people who litter...you know those lovely people who throw their cigerettes, trash, etc. out the window.

I know, but the saying has been wrangled by maroons.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 22,516 times
I will soon be a Colorado resident, so I can't address any Texas-Colorado rivalry or issues. But, I can say that I lived near Houston in the early 80s. It was the worst three years of my life. It's swampy, hot, smelly and the people were crude disgusting and ignorant. I wouldn't go back there for double my present salary. But that's just me.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colabear View Post
I will soon be a Colorado resident, so I can't address any Texas-Colorado rivalry or issues. But, I can say that I lived near Houston in the early 80s. It was the worst three years of my life. It's swampy, hot, smelly and the people were crude disgusting and ignorant. I wouldn't go back there for double my present salary. But that's just me.
yeah but its not the same as it was 25-30 years ago.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:21 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Colorado hates Texas because we own most of CO.
Or....

Maybe it's because you just said that.

Texans tend to come here with this warped sense of entitlement and a laughably misplaced arrogance.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,618,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Or....

Maybe it's because you just said that.

Texans tend to come here with this warped sense of entitlement and a laughably misplaced arrogance.

Yea that comment is totally not true and have to agree.

I love both states, but I think this post should of been titled "Why does Colorado Springs hate Texas so much?"

I have a question; when you see Texas plates on I25, Academy, Nevada ect, ect... what do you do?

How is your reaction, in all seriousness?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
I hesitate joining in this fray--many will think I'm just a complete anti-non-native xenophobe (which I'm not--a good half of my Colorado friends are not natives), but here goes. First, I have relatives in both Texas and California--the two states that tend to engender the most dislike from some Coloradans. There are a lot of nice folks in both states. They are also two of the most populous states and they are relatively close to Colorado, so it follows that a fair number of people from both states visit Colorado. Sheer numbers may fuel some of the dislike. On the highways, in the restaurants, on the ski slopes, at tourist attractions--the most likely out-of-state person a Coloradan will find is probably a Texan or Californian. So, it is likely if that out-of-stater is a "nuisance factor" in some way to a Coloradan, it is going to be a Texan or Californian. Strike one.

Second, chances are also pretty good that the visiting Texan or Californian is going to be an urbanite or suburbanite, not a laid-back small town person. So, it is pretty likely that the tourist may have the "I'm in a hurry," "I'm special," condescending attitude that may rub people the wrong way. Chances are also pretty fair that they may have enough money to have a chip on their shoulder about that. Strike two.

Third, there is the matter that a lot big money crap development in Colorado has been both fronted by California and Texas money and sold to out-of-staters with little if any respect, consideration, or acknowledgment of local needs and issues. That is a real sore point with a lot of old-line Coloradans, and it has bred a lot of prejudice against people from both of those states. Strike three.

Finally, there is the "driving thing." Texans, in particular, tend to be typical "flat land" drivers. Combine mountain driving ignorance with a little arrogance, and you have the stereotypical bad mountain driver: the moron who drives 20 mph over the speed limit on straight-aways so no one can pass, and then slows down to 25 mph for 50 mph curve. Or he or she drives in the uphill passing lane constantly, whether he or she is passing a vehicle or not--even though it is both dangerous and illegal, as well as being posted as a "no-no." Or slow drivers who refuse to pull off to the side of the road and let faster traffic pass on congested mountain roads. Again, while there are plenty of flat land drivers who do this, since such a large percentage of tourists are from Texas, they tend to get tarred with the brush. Driving habits as I have described here by tourists absolutely drive old-line Coloradans nuts--especially those of us who actually have to drive Colorado roads as part of work or to get from Point A to Point B on some sort of reasonable schedule. It is bad enough that you hardly ever hear a Colorado mountain driver put "Texas" and "driver" in the same sentence without a string of profanity in front of it.

I will end this with a true story--for anyone who thinks that some of these "prejudices" are not somewhat common. Several years ago, I was a volunteer on the campaign of a Colorado US Congressman. His staff had arranged for him to fly into a rural Colorado airport in his District and had rented him a car for a multi-county campaign swing. By pure luck, the rental company at the airport assigned him a rental car with Texas license plates. The Congressman blew up and told his aide, "Take that ********ed rental car back and get one with Colorado plates. For *****'s sake, I want to win this election." 'nuff said.

Last edited by jazzlover; 05-16-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
to quote a bumper sticker that was popular whenI lived there.....

If God Wanted Texans to Ski
He'd Paint BS white

Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 PM

719 posts, read 2,618,786 times
Or these,popular in the 90's:

Welcome to Colorado.
Now go home.

or

Happiness is a Texan headed south,
with a Californian under each arm.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,127,522 times
My 2 cents- even though you'd only offer a penny for my thoughts...

This leads me to the question of when does transplant become a Coloradoan? Can an individual who came from TX (or elsewhere) become a Coloradoan?

If you dislike an individual AND voice it because of where he/she originates from says more about you than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado