Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
They're always saying its such a beautiful place and would love to visit.
For me, that's why.
Honesty time:
Colorado has become a tourist haven, and many (most?) of the tourists seem to come from Texas for some reason. This next comment is grossly over generalized, but still true: Tourists are by definition stupid. Not that the people who are tourists are stupid, but something about going somewhere else on vacation stops all logical thought processes. The brain goes on vacation, too. The cause and effect here, then, is that we see tourists as stupid, loud, ignorant imbeciles... most of our tourists come from Texas, therefore...

I watched a Texan hunter shoot a cow once. Not a cow elk, but a cow... the kind made of beef. I was hunting, saw something moving in a field, scoped it.. oh, a cow... Saw some orange in a hill behind it, scoped it, saw a guy taking aim, he fired, shot the cow in the butt, shot it three or four more times. He hiked down to the mutilated carcass, took a Bugle magazine from his back pocket and compared what was on the ground with what was in the picture. He then turned around and walked away. I tracked him, got his license plate number, and he got one heck of a big fine.

Different year, I was filling my tank at the gas station. Guy had a buck tied to the hood of his car, and told me he was driving home to Texas. I told him that deer was gonna rot in his hood. He called me an a-hole and sped off...

When I was in high school, 3 Texan hunters got arrested for killing 30 elk from the highway. They said they were trying to get one to jump the fence because they didn't want to trespass.

Yesterday I almost hit a woman in my car because she backed (walking) into the busiest intersection in town so she could get a good picture of a building. The speed limit is 35 right there. Big ol' Longhorns t-shirt on.

That whole "Don't Mess With Texas" thing doesn't help, either. Pretty lame. Texans are so damn proud to be from Texas, but I've been there, and I don't see why.

Texans think Hummers are cool.

yadda yadda yadda. Most of us that live here, at least in the prettier parts of the state have these stories, and most of them are about Texans.

Does that answer your question?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,500 times
"Tourists are by definition stupid."

Amen to that, brother.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 22,007 times
well doesnt that just suck. im a texan moving to CO springs because of my construction job. i hope i dont get hated on. Texas is FUN. i would suggest moving to el paso which is where i am from. because if u havent expierenced amsterdam, well juarez, mexico is just about the same and only 10 minutes away. and if u miss the outdoors, our lovely neighbor new mexico has many different forests like cloudcroft and ruidoso.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney915 View Post
well doesnt that just suck. im a texan moving to CO springs because of my construction job. i hope i dont get hated on. Texas is FUN. i would suggest moving to el paso which is where i am from. because if u havent expierenced amsterdam, well juarez, mexico is just about the same and only 10 minutes away. and if u miss the outdoors, our lovely neighbor new mexico has many different forests like cloudcroft and ruidoso.
DUDE, you are FINE. seriously, a thread like this pisses me off because it's WRONG. Please do a search and you will find that's it's not the Colorado natives like myself that have this unwarranted hatred, it's the buttheads that move here and want to close the doors behind them.

My best friends came from Texas. they lived across the street from me and I miss them sooooooo much. They moved back to TX and I have never missed a family so much in my life.

I can't wrap my brain around this and this is why it ticks me off. this thread is the suck. I hate it because it's not how real Coloradans are.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 AM

268 posts, read 1,129,837 times
I don't hate Texans per se. I just greatly disliked having to live there.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
I think long ago Coloradans hated Texans because we see so many of them moving here, but the resentment shifted long ago to Californians. Now, New Mexico -- that's where the people really do hate Texans.

There was a joke in New Mexico: There was a Frenchman, a Russian, a Texan, and a New Mexican together on the train. The Frenchman takes a bottle of wine out of his bag, takes a swig, and then tosses it out the window. Everyone looks on in surprise, and he said proudly, "Oh, in France we have so much fine wine, we treat it like water, we have more than we know what to do with." The Russian, not to be outdone, grabs a bottle of vodka out of his bag and takes a swig of his own, then tossing it out the window. "In Russia, we we have more vodka than we know what to do with." Well, this was too much of the Texan. He started looking through his bag for something to top this, and said proudly, "Why, ya'll ain't seen nothing unless you've been to Texas. Why in Texas, we got all that and more... Why Texas is the biggest state and everything's bigger in Texas..." Then, without warning, the New Mexican grabbed the Texan by the collar and tossed him out the open door of the train. The Frenchman and Russian looked on in shock, as the New Mexican said, "Oh, don't worry about it. We have more Texans back at home than we know what to do with."

Old 05-15-2008, 02:35 PM

109 posts, read 292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
For me, that's why.
Honesty time:
Colorado has become a tourist haven, and many (most?) of the tourists seem to come from Texas for some reason. This next comment is grossly over generalized, but still true: Tourists are by definition stupid. Not that the people who are tourists are stupid, but something about going somewhere else on vacation stops all logical thought processes. The brain goes on vacation, too. The cause and effect here, then, is that we see tourists as stupid, loud, ignorant imbeciles... most of our tourists come from Texas, therefore...

I watched a Texan hunter shoot a cow once. Not a cow elk, but a cow... the kind made of beef. I was hunting, saw something moving in a field, scoped it.. oh, a cow... Saw some orange in a hill behind it, scoped it, saw a guy taking aim, he fired, shot the cow in the butt, shot it three or four more times. He hiked down to the mutilated carcass, took a Bugle magazine from his back pocket and compared what was on the ground with what was in the picture. He then turned around and walked away. I tracked him, got his license plate number, and he got one heck of a big fine.

Different year, I was filling my tank at the gas station. Guy had a buck tied to the hood of his car, and told me he was driving home to Texas. I told him that deer was gonna rot in his hood. He called me an a-hole and sped off...

When I was in high school, 3 Texan hunters got arrested for killing 30 elk from the highway. They said they were trying to get one to jump the fence because they didn't want to trespass.

Yesterday I almost hit a woman in my car because she backed (walking) into the busiest intersection in town so she could get a good picture of a building. The speed limit is 35 right there. Big ol' Longhorns t-shirt on.

That whole "Don't Mess With Texas" thing doesn't help, either. Pretty lame. Texans are so damn proud to be from Texas, but I've been there, and I don't see why.

Texans think Hummers are cool.

yadda yadda yadda. Most of us that live here, at least in the prettier parts of the state have these stories, and most of them are about Texans.

Does that answer your question?
I grew up in CO and moved to TX with my parents as a teenager so I do not consider myself a Texan and it took me quite a while to begin to warm up to this place (well except in the the sweltering summer ) but I have to touch on a couple points...

The "Don't mess with Texas" slogan is there for people who litter...you know those lovely people who throw their cigerettes, trash, etc. out the window.

There are over 50,000 students at UT and many (including me) are not from TX so that girl with the longhorn shirt may not even be a Texan.

As far as the hunters yeah they were idiots but I bet TX is not the only place around with stupid people.

Texans love hummers? I'm sure some do but I bet there are many out in the Denver/COS burbs driving those big hummers/SUV's also. Again different people everywhere...it's so easy to generalize.

Personally I have been trying to move back to CO for years and hope to be there soon. I would choose it over TX anyday but I grew up there so that is what I consider home. It's hard to give up the mountains/dryness/beautiful snow when that is all you know.

I guess when I move back and have my TX plates everyone will ASSume I'm from TX and hate me even though I probably lived there longer than most of them.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM

182 posts, read 668,267 times
What this native remembers is that long ago it was fashionable to make fun of a certain kind of Texan- the type who had all the fanciest ski gear but sprained their ankle on the bunny slope, and fussed (loudly in stereo drawl) about her long fingernails and big hair.

Texas is such a big place- Amarillo is very different from Houston. It would be hard for anyone to hate "Texans."

Whenever droves of people come with extra money and change things, those that came before experience change, and sometimes it's good, sometimes it isn't, but usually it's a mix.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Colorado hates Texas because we own most of CO.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times
Haha I wouldn't say Colorado hates Texas, but the thing is people move to Colorado for the great outdoors and we take pride in Colorado as much as Texans take pride in Texas. However when you move somewhere and say stuff like "Everythings bigger in Texas" and "Don't mess with Texas", it kind of comes to the question well why are you here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado