Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM

14 posts, read 74,624 times

Advertisements

health issues. Anyone here taking medications for depression, anxiety or similar reasons able to drop them after adjusting to life in Colorado where the sun shines more and you're able to get out more?

Also wondering if more outdoor activity year round might be the answer to helping our ds kick the meds he is on? He is pretty active but we have noticed he does so much better here during the spring and summer months, and we can drop his meds down quite a bit. Of course I'd love to see him drop the meds all together, but I know that may not be likely. As a parent you just want to know you're doing all you can to keep your kids safe and healthy, and prefer to do it naturally but sometimes there is no getting around the meds.

Anyway just curious as to thoughts experiences from others....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
Every case is so different, but working in the child mental health field in the Denver Metro area, I do know that many children remained on their medications. The sunshine and active outdoor life may help, but remember there are still winter days and days indoors and true depression is more related to hormones and SSRI's typically help the most

I would discuss the issue with your doctor or mental health provider, and possibly contact Children's Hospital in Denver just to get a read on their feelings about the issue as well. If he does suffer from a seasonal affective disorder he may benifit, but generalized anxiety, situational anxiety, and depression type symptoms may not be effected tremendously (but who's to say -- trying wouldn't hurt right ). Of course the typical disclaimer of talk with your doctor before making any medication changes

Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Cin

72 posts, read 308,458 times
Hi,
Ironically here in AZ ...oddly enough I read that we have one of the highest rates of depression in the country...and there sure is alot of sun! Relatives and friends I know that suffer from depression...well it doesn't seem to matter where they live. Either it is situational or it is a chronic medical condition. But I would hope that it would at least improve somewhat for your son! Sometimes just breathing fresh air...sunshine and encountering warm friendly people can bring much needed change. God Bless. Cin

Old 01-03-2007, 11:18 PM

157 posts, read 651,817 times
Hi Magnat68,

I have a friend who grew up in Colo who went to school in the Northwest for a couple of years and went through some tough depression with the lower levels of sunlight - he found that full-spectrum light bulbs and other "sunlight lamps" helped a lot - for him it more or less eliminated the problem sometimes - not sure if he was ever on meds. I think he has come back to Colo to finish school.

Everyone is different, but other ideas you might check out: day-time exercise, the blood type diet (also gives ideas for appropriate exercise), raw food diet, food rotation diet, www.emofree.com, www.naet.com, and sam-e. Of course the disclaimer given by BusySocialWorker still applies.

Best wishes and good luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:03 AM

14 posts, read 74,624 times
Thanks! We have not tried the lights yet but think we will get one and try it. We are putting him back on his blood type diet. We dropped that some (relaxed it alot) when he started meds. Maybe the combination will help.

Thanks for your views. I wasn't sure how drastic the climate and etc would help. Now we have a better idea...things might be about the same or dosage lowered a bit, and more time outside which is really the biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado