Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 11,362 times

Advertisements

How do people deal with the high altitudes and suseptibility to panic attacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
How do people deal with the high altitudes and suseptibility to panic attacks
Did you research this on the internet yet or visit a doctor?

"high altitudes" "panic attacks" - Google Search

Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 AM

180 posts, read 1,187,083 times
My wife had panic attacks when we first moved here. Shortness of breath and would have to stop whatever we were doing. We moved here in September 06, the panic attacks really didn't start in until winter hit and we had the 5th snowiest winter in history. I guess she felt claustrophobic because of all the snow. We finally went to the doc and she prescribed some relaxant, I forget what, but she never took them. I am guessing just having them available was enough of a crutch to not get those panicky feelings anymore. She tossed the pills that next spring and has been fine since.

Oh wait. She did have one more panic attack last fall. We were around 13,000 feet up 4 wheeling above Georgetown. It was a sheer drop on the drivers side (I was driving) and she couldn't see where the cliff edge was and was freakin out. So we stopped, she got out and watched me drive through that skinny stretch. She was fine once she saw that I wasn't as close to the edge as it would have appeared from the passenger side.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 11,362 times
thanks for your prompt response.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I clicked on the link you posted, and looked at the first page. One article from a reputable source is this:

High altitudes, anxiety, and panic attacks: is the...[Depress Anxiety. 2002] - PubMed Result

Quote:
In spite of these connections and their clinical importance, evidence for precipitation of panic attacks or more gradual increases in anxiety during altitude exposure is meager.
They do suggest more research.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy101 View Post
My wife had panic attacks when we first moved here. Shortness of breath and would have to stop whatever we were doing. We moved here in September 06, the panic attacks really didn't start in until winter hit and we had the 5th snowiest winter in history. I guess she felt claustrophobic because of all the snow. We finally went to the doc and she prescribed some relaxant, I forget what, but she never took them. I am guessing just having them available was enough of a crutch to not get those panicky feelings anymore. She tossed the pills that next spring and has been fine since.

Oh wait. She did have one more panic attack last fall. We were around 13,000 feet up 4 wheeling above Georgetown. It was a sheer drop on the drivers side (I was driving) and she couldn't see where the cliff edge was and was freakin out. So we stopped, she got out and watched me drive through that skinny stretch. She was fine once she saw that I wasn't as close to the edge as it would have appeared from the passenger side.

2ndxwifewhatzhername got that way up by the Tomboy mine above Teluride.....so I traded her in lol.......

Old 05-24-2008, 07:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Panic attacks are (haven't read the whole thread) are symptoms of depression, it's not affected by altitude as far as I am concerned.

Born and raised at 6400 ft and have lived above, below and inbetween.

Panic attacks are psychological based. They suck hard.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy101 View Post

Keep in mind that was all psychological. I am sorry your wife has had them, I have them too but it's not altitude, it's surroundings, it's people around you, it's circumstances.

This altitude based thinking is wrong. I've been to New York city and about had a panic attack (didn't know what it was as I was only 17) at the Empire State Building. It was too high for my comfort. The RCA building, too brought about my uncomfortable zone.

Shoot, a couple of years ago, I went across the Royal Gorge Bridge and my butt cheeks were in serious clenching...I know, weird thing to say but OH MY GODS.

I have panic attacks and they aren't related at all to altitude so much as uncomfortable moments in my life - my main one being financial issues. Your wife moved from another place, this made her uncomfortable. Swampy I dig you but please don't put this on altitude, your wife was simply (and may still) experience things from your newer life in CO than you give her credit for. I bet if you talk to her, you will find it's deeper than just being at a higher altitude.

Gosh you men.

BTW, for anyone that cares, panic/anxiety attacks occur more in women than in men and it's usually accompanied by depression. Even mild depression.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Panic attacks are (haven't read the whole thread) are symptoms of depression, it's not affected by altitude as far as I am concerned.

Born and raised at 6400 ft and have lived above, below and inbetween.

Panic attacks are psychological based. They suck hard.
Panic attacks are symptoms of anxiety, not depression. While depression and panic attacks can certainly co-exist they are not dependent on one another.

Check out our Panic attack thread in the health section, its sort of like a support group.

I can see where someone might have a problem in high altitudes because of feeling like they can't breath but I should imagine it has more to do with what your used to. I grew up spending alot of time in Colorado so I doubt it would bother me. NOW the narrow road winding through the Rocky Mountain National Park to the Continental Divide certainly did make me feel panicy however.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 PM

180 posts, read 1,187,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Swampy I dig you but please don't put this on altitude, your wife was simply (and may still) experience things from your newer life in CO than you give her credit for. I bet if you talk to her, you will find it's deeper than just being at a higher altitude.

Gosh you men.
Never really said her's was from the high altitude. :P Just coincidence that we're 7000 feet higher than we're used to and she had them. Now, I did say claustrophobic. I did talk to her and this is how she felt, being closed in by the heavy winter.

The other above Georgetown, well, think about your Royal Gorge thing. That's about what she was feeling. I was driving, not her and all she could see was little colored specs moving back and forth below (cars on I70). All instances were in high altitudes, never said it was due to the high altitudes. Although, without the high altitude, we wouldn't have had as much snow as we got and also without it, she wouldn't have felt like the car was going to roll off the side of the hill, so deep down, it was due to altitude to some degree.

Sheesh. Women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado