Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 15,968 times

Advertisements

I have been viewing the posts on this board, and found a lot of valuable information.

My question relates to land sold as part of San Luis Valley Ranches, near Blanca. I now know the land is in a cold, dry region with little development, etc.

The land is designated by Units, Blocks and Lots. For example, one web site lists Unit 14, Block 6 and Lot 4 as being sold for $8100 or $1620 per acre. Other land is lower in value, at about $900 per acre (described as Unit 15, Block 3, Lots 1 and 2).

Does anyone know how I can find independent information on the location of specific blocks of land in this development? Do these designations of unit, block and lot have a real meaning or were these created by the group that sold this land to out-of-state speculators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxnardprof View Post
I have been viewing the posts on this board, and found a lot of valuable information.

My question relates to land sold as part of San Luis Valley Ranches, near Blanca. I now know the land is in a cold, dry region with little development, etc.

The land is designated by Units, Blocks and Lots. For example, one web site lists Unit 14, Block 6 and Lot 4 as being sold for $8100 or $1620 per acre. Other land is lower in value, at about $900 per acre (described as Unit 15, Block 3, Lots 1 and 2).

Does anyone know how I can find independent information on the location of specific blocks of land in this development? Do these designations of unit, block and lot have a real meaning or were these created by the group that sold this land to out-of-state speculators?
Call the Costilla County Assessor's office. They may be able to give you information if the developer ever filed a plat with the county. I personally wouldn't buy that land on a bet. It was an old development scheme from many years ago to sell land--with not much more on it than greasewood or sagebrush--sight-unseen to people who were probably thinking they were buying "mountain land" in Colorado. As we old-line natives like to put it, "You couldn't raise hell out there with a quart of whiskey."

Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink Not from a distance

I'd guess the designations of 'Block,' etc. were created by the developers but now legal descriptions for any parcel you may purchase.

What may be more pertinent the general geographic region you are considering. Yes, it is a high, cold and hot, dry area. Most anywhere on the flats sagebrush the highest plant of any consequence. Areas on the flanks of the mountains would be distinctly different. The land is relatively inexpensive . . . for a reason.

Perhaps exactly what you want, but you might want to consider such factors as distance from shopping and, especially, water. Most of the water used for farming in the San Luis Valley is drawn with big pumps from the underlying aquifer. But this is being depleted and you should consider whether property has such water rights, and costs involved in possibly a very deep well. If not this then you may have to become creative in gathering and using what little precipitation falls. The natural wetlands near Crestone, CO, which are being depleted, would be one exception.

There are certainly specific spots in the San Luis Valley which could be quite nice. But from a distance one might be hard pressed to discern them.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 87,756 times
I bought the land, it was sectioned off as units, then lots. might only summer there as it was colder than I thought. have been there and I love the flat, sagebrush land. yes, have seen my land. drilling a well close to blanca isn't that far down, you can also put in a tank and buy water which isn't that expensive. naturally, you would need a septic. If you get a five acres close to the the electric poles, if there are any left, you can put in electric also. My guess as to all the above was about 15,000. To use with my rv will probably only put in septic. I love the small town stuff and figure will find a coffee shop and enjoy the solitude there in my retirement. retirement is it as I don't believe there is much as of jobs.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I hope you've seen you "site" before you spent any money.

Many folks are pretty disappointed with the locations, views, terrain, etc. when they actually get to see the place.

And, while water may have been found readily available on another site ... it doesn't mean that you'll ever have a productive well on yours. I know of several people who have spent well over $25,000 on "dry" holes around their property and still don't have any water ... while the next parcel over had an abundance of water at a shallow depth.

Of course, if all you're needing is the limited water in your RV that you carry in, then water on site isn't a big issue for you. But what if you want to stay a month or so?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 87,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I hope you've seen you "site" before you spent any money.

Many folks are pretty disappointed with the locations, views, terrain, etc. when they actually get to see the place.

And, while water may have been found readily available on another site ... it doesn't mean that you'll ever have a productive well on yours. I know of several people who have spent well over $25,000 on "dry" holes around their property and still don't have any water ... while the next parcel over had an abundance of water at a shallow depth.

Of course, if all you're needing is the limited water in your RV that you carry in, then water on site isn't a big issue for you. But what if you want to stay a month or so?
the person only 150 yards away has water and am only a mile from town, you can also buy water with a tank, thank you for the thought of dry holes, i will try to find out if they can assure me of water before putting in the well although can't figure out why they would keep on digging holes for that kind of money when the first hole didn't work for only a few thousand. I have seen my property and my kids agree with you completely but for myself i love the sagebush lonely land. probably will spend the summer there and will drive out to fill up, small rv. it isn't hot after living in arizona. unless i live up there all year am not worried about water, just putting in septic and road. it really depends on what a person wants out of land as to their satisfaction. I just want a place to stop at in between rv traveling for now, maybe something more later.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:30 PM
ck5

8 posts, read 53,223 times
Default Bought 6 acres near Ft. garland

I plan on using the property for vacation time away from the world. Water does concern me..will use Solar for power. mAybe 10 years from now i will retire on this land.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I just drove through there this weekend, hwy 160 from Walsenburg to Alamosa and back, going though Fort Garland and Blanca twice by car and twice by tourist train (Alamosa to La Veta and back). The SL Valley is about 50 miles wide, 100 miles long (north to south) and surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges. Parts are irrigated with rotating arm systems and very lush, other parts are as forlorn looking as anything you could imagine being described in a dime novel.

Though some of the area is drop dead gorgeous, like the La Veta pass area which is green and forested, much of the land near Blanca, Fort Garland, Alamosa, et al, sure seemed dreadful in many ways to this lover of urban/suburban living.

Much of what we saw was flat, dry, featureless endless tracts of sagebrush and rabbitbrush, with some scrub oak and very few trees. I thought it was very forlorn looking to see these barren-looking tracts occupied by a beat up old travel trailer or single-wide mobile home surrounded by rusting hulks of discarded pickup trucks.

I would advise GREAT caution about buying anything there without a FULL knowledge of the EXACT piece, see it in-person or see photo's of the actual piece and what surrounds it, and having all the facts about WATER, electric, and sewerage.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-21-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 67,547 times
Smile Purchased 5 acres in Blanca, CO

To Larslarson & CK5,

Just came back from visiting the SLV area, purchased 5 acres out behind town of Blanca. Plan to install well, septic tank, solar panels, windtricity and lots of landscaping. Love the area and the land looks really good. Originally thought about purchasing acres higher up mountains but too many access problems.

Please let me know if you have already drilled your well, installed septic, solar power or if you have any ideas or info that you would like to share.

We're from Texas, way down south and this valley is paradise compared to the heat we suffer year round.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmtn View Post
To Larslarson & CK5,

Just came back from visiting the SLV area, purchased 5 acres out behind town of Blanca. Plan to install well, septic tank, solar panels, windtricity and lots of landscaping. Love the area and the land looks really good. Originally thought about purchasing acres higher up mountains but too many access problems.

Please let me know if you have already drilled your well, installed septic, solar power or if you have any ideas or info that you would like to share.

We're from Texas, way down south and this valley is paradise compared to the heat we suffer year round.
Well, just wait until it's -30° ambient temperature in winter. Quite bluntly, I haven't seen many from "down south" who can handle that. If you do, you're the exception. I speak from experience--I lived several years in Gunnison. Not many people put up with the cold winters year after year--especially those from warmer climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado