Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawadvocate View Post
Interestingly enough, we bought a $350k home in South FL about 5 years ago (worth more now) and my mortgage payment will be split in half when we move (no more crazy property insurance and taxes)
I too am moving (again) from Florida to Colorado. I once lived in Boulder for a time though I'm from Miami. Now I'm married and after living in Port St. Lucie for the past three years (and enduring three hurricanes - Frances, Jeanne and Wilma) we've decided to move to Colorado. I've been wanting to move back to Colorado for years and when my husband and I visited last year he fell in love with the state so we're both very excited to move.

I do want to warn you though - while you might save in property taxes and insurance you'll be paying Colorado state income taxes so it might end up being the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM

38 posts, read 121,711 times
Castle Rock, Castle PInes area sounds like you might want to further look into.
Check out Realtor.com and CPN website.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,077 times
I currently live in Boca Raton, and i am also relocating to CO in November!
Wishing you and your family the best of luck with the move!
Let me know what you have found out so far.
I am also looking for a job....everyone keeps telling me it´s too early to look for November, but i´m just worried i won´t find one in time.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,977,971 times
If you mean "near the city" as in "near Denver" -- I must say that it would be difficult to be truly in the mountains and commute to Denver, however, you could be in the foothills and commute there. Golden and Morrison would be just beyond the first foothills, Evergreen and Conifer would be further up into the foothills, but count on about an hour's commute from there. If you are going to commute to Boulder instead of Denver, you could consider living in Lyons, at the base of the foothills, or Nederland, which is further up into the foothills.

Somewhere like the Pinery in Parker, or Castle Pines, or some other southern areas aren't really in the foothills, but covered in evergreens they do look like it at times.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 32,788 times
Default Woodland Park and Divide

We have lived in CO for a long time. We moved away briefly to NC and I was so happy to come back. We live up in Divide right past Woodland Park. It is beautiful up here. You should check it out. Last year with record snow fall we never had a problem getting to the Springs. They keep the pass nice and clear. Good luck. I hope you like it here.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 28,862 times
You're all going to love Colorado. I grew up in Michigan, the winters were brutal. I spent a year in Orlando, a year and a half in Aspen and 23 years in Denver and suburbs of Denver.

There's more sunny days here then Florida. We get a couple of major snow storms a winter, but the suns out the next day and the snow is usually gone in a day or two. I have a convertible and the top is down a lot in the winter. Many people run around in shorts and coats are left in the car most of the time. I definately don't like to be cold and I loved the warmth and humidity of Florida. Both places have great weather for outdoor loving people.

Good Luck to all of you!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 AM

3 posts, read 23,290 times
Talking Where are the good schools?

Hi, I also reside in the Tampa area, and my husband and I are looking into moving out west with our 1 year old little girl.

I would say that our main priority is the quality of the schools in the area, wherever we should decide upon moving. He works for the post office so can get a job pretty much anywhere. We were considering Oregon, but have huge concerns over their current education crisis, and drug epidemic. We love the beauty of the West, in large part, over Florida, and so are open to our choices. I know Colorado has alot to offer, in terms of amazing mountains and picturesque scenery, but I have read alot on the threads warning of areas such as Boulder (not being the best family town), and Denver (being too overcrowded), so it's hard to determine where exactly is the best family- oriented community, although Woodland park sounds like a very nice place, and I would love to know more.

Would one say Woodland Park is a family- oriented community, and a good place to raise children? What about the quality of the schools? I have also read of some alarming problems in areas, such as, Colorado Springs which also raises some concern.

Also, what are the political and social demographics of the area? Is it a diverse population? My husband and I are of Native American and Latino heritage and are looking for a community that would have something to offer, in this regard (or at the very least an open- minded, forward- thinking community, without all the crime, and lack of a quality education often found in the more urbanized communities). We've been in Florida for most of our tax paying lives and are just looking for something more at this point, and especially in the way of raising a family and providing for greater opportunities and experiences. We have lived for a time in the West Coast, and we LOVED it... the open road, the landscaped mountains, canyons, and all that the outdoors, and nature has to offer there, and are excited to make our way back.

Is Colorado the place for us, and, if so, where exactly? Thanks so much!

Last edited by nomoremosquitos; 09-04-2007 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
momoremosquitos: As far as demographics go, you can look on City-Data and find statistics for every town they list. If you follow the links they provide, you can get a lot of information. You can also find information on politics, such as what percent voted for Bush/Kerry. I am not sure I would agree that Boulder and Denver are not good places to live, and I don't sense that on this forum.

There are many, many threads re: education on this forum; I would suggest doing a search. I don't mean to sound snide, but it does get repeitious. Then you can ask specific questions.

mchagas: I think you should starat looking for a job NOW! You can move early if you have to and go into temp housing. The job market is competitive here b/c so many people are moving here.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 AM

151 posts, read 714,583 times
here's a list of some of school districts (some in beautiful locations) with serious problems The Denver Post - Rural schools are in need -- but there's also some very good schools, especially along the Front Range including Boulder (which is very open-minded, forward-looking and has a low crime rate).

pittnurse70 is right, do your homework on this site, check out the local newpapers for areas you're interested it, and google from all kinds of angles before choosing where to move.

Knock your socks off scenery won't pay the bills or give your kids a good education.

Hispanics and Native Americans are concentrated in the southern part of Colorado, especially the southwest quarter of the state, as well as in the Denver area.

Best of luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,408 times
I am moving to colorado in April does anyone know anything about the town of Paonia,CO or small towns in around that area. or any other small town in western part of Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado