Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM

42 posts, read 148,003 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone: I have never been to CO and figured it would be a good choice for a vacation this summer to take my 10 year old son. I hate the heat/humidity here on the east coast so I want to vacation somewhere that will be relatively cool in the summer.

Being that I've never been to CO I'm not sure where to go-
I'd like to see Denver/Boulder but I can't imagine that taking more than 2 days.

I've heard that staying in some of the ski resort towns even in the summer can be very expensive.

I wouldn't mind doing an easy day long rafting or fishing trip.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks for your help, Ryan

acewex@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Hope you have fun here it you do come out.

I'd do an advanced search on Colorado threads and do it such that you include all city sub-forums as well.

Rafting and fishing are things that have or do interest me, so I tried to link a couple of threads for you to get started on. I hope this works.

Rafting

Fishing

Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 PM

92 posts, read 365,869 times
If you want to get out to the mountains and do it cheaply, you might consider Grand Lake. There's a hostel there (Shadowcliff hostel--you can google it) that's quite reasonable and very near the town. While there you can rent boats and cruise around the lake--even lake fish if that's the kind of fishing you want. You can also flyfish the CO river not far away. Grand Lake itself seems to me pretty family friendly.

I made the assumption that any one traveling with children these days needs to do it on a budget, what with gas and lodging prices being what they are. However, if price is not a consideration, you might want go instead to Estes Park, not far from Denver. There's some very nice lodging on the east side of town, as well as a Y camp where you can rent a cabin for yourself and your son. The cabins are quite nice and pretty reasonably priced. If you drive a bit to Lyons, the fly-fishing's pretty fun along the St Vrain. And Estes Park is built for families, though i think the town is pushing to attract adult couples more and more.

If you want to go rafting, I'd suggest basing yourself in Salida. If you fly into Denver and rent a car, you'll be taking 285 south to Salida. That means you'll be crossing some pretty wonderful scenery--Kenosha Pass, South Park, and the Collegiate Peaks. Be sure to stop at the vista point for the Collegiate Peaks. It's a spectacular view. Near Salida, you can sign on to a rafting trip on the Arkansas river. If you really want to go rafting with your son, I'd suggest you call some of the places (wherever you finally stay) to find out what the water's like. We had heavy snow this winter and the papers keep predicting major spring runoffs. Maybe not the best conditions for a 10-year old, unless he's an experienced hand. Oh, there's also pretty good fly- AND bait-fishing in the area. Just ask the concierge wherever you end up staying. It's been at least 20 years, but i once stayed at the Poncha Springs Hotel and it was VERY nice and not at all expensive. It's an old 19th century hotel in Poncha Springs (north of Salida but on 285)--no TV, no phone, no noise. Don't know if your son would appreciate it, but if you're wanting to show him alternatives, it's a great place.

Wishing you and your son the best summer vacation this year!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Actually, some of the ski towns offer some pretty decent deals in the summer, their off-season. However, this summer, more people may be vacationing near home, possibly negating some of the deals.

Denver/Boulder would probably take a day each, depending on what you want to do. If the Rockies are in town, and you like baseball, it would be fun to go to a game. If you and/or your son are soccer fans, you could check to see if the Colorado Rapids are in town when you are here. I've "heard" their new stadium in Commerce City is great, haven't been there yet. For a ten year old, Boulder would probably not offer any special appeal, but you might enjoy the Pearl St. pedestrian mall, biking on the Boulder Creek bike path, hiking at Chautauqua Park, etc. You can rent bikes, I just don't know where. You two might enjoy the Air Force Academy tour in Colorado Springs. It is in the north part of town, wouldn't take too long to get to from Denver.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado