Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 23,602 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...thought I would introduce myself. Joanie here from Southern California. I can already see some of you cringing after reading that.

Anywho, I've noticed quite a few posts about people wanting to relocate to CO and why not? It's beautiful! So yes I admit, I'm here hoping to get some ideas about where to live. I'm a conservationist, I also don't like tightly packed cities. I'm looking for large acreage, possibly a couple hundred acres preferrably in Northern CO at the base of the Rockies. Or right where the Rockies start to blend into the plains off on the East. My husband and I would like to start early in creating our perfect vacation/retirement home. For now, we would probably travel back and forth between CA and CO. We have a niece that attends Colorado State University and it would be nice to be able to visit too.

Any names of potential cities/towns would be great. We will be flying in Mid-July for a couple of days to take a look around.

Thanks for any assistance provided!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Okay

So it sounds like some people on this forum are sick of reading questions similar to the one I posted. Frankly, I understand. And I'm not asking for others to do research for me. I'm simply asking for someone who might possibly live in the general area that I'm looking for and giving me a name. Maybe even the name of the town they live in so that I may do my own research.

Counties interested range from Larimer down to Teller over to Park on the west and Douglas on the east. Looking for minimum 30 acres, with or without a structure. We hunt, we fish, we hike, we prefer to purchase land and keep it natural. Would like moderate to easy access to local town and maybe within an hour drive to large city (i.e. Fort Collins, Co. Springs, etc.)

Old 06-14-2008, 07:46 PM

719 posts, read 2,619,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joluvs311 View Post
Hey everyone...thought I would introduce myself. Joanie here from Southern California. I can already see some of you cringing after reading that.

Anywho, I've noticed quite a few posts about people wanting to relocate to CO and why not? It's beautiful! So yes I admit, I'm here hoping to get some ideas about where to live. I'm a conservationist, I also don't like tightly packed cities. I'm looking for large acreage, possibly a couple hundred acres preferrably in Northern CO at the base of the Rockies. Or right where the Rockies start to blend into the plains off on the East. My husband and I would like to start early in creating our perfect vacation/retirement home. For now, we would probably travel back and forth between CA and CO. We have a niece that attends Colorado State University and it would be nice to be able to visit too.

Any names of potential cities/towns would be great. We will be flying in Mid-July for a couple of days to take a look around.

Thanks for any assistance provided!
O.K., this one must be fake!!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
O.K., this one must be fake!!

Why would you think this post was fake?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:09 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Default Welcome. . .

I'd suggest up north of Fort Collins, not sure the cost of land up there, but that's really nice country. If you stay down on the prairie and not up in the high country you'll have a much milder climate and still have acreage.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times
Quote:
So it sounds like some people on this forum are sick of reading questions similar to the one I posted. Frankly, I understand. And I'm not asking for others to do research for me. I'm simply asking for someone who might possibly live in the general area that I'm looking for and giving me a name. Maybe even the name of the town they live in so that I may do my own research.

Counties interested range from Larimer down to Teller over to Park on the west and Douglas on the east. Looking for minimum 30 acres, with or without a structure. We hunt, we fish, we hike, we prefer to purchase land and keep it natural. Would like moderate to easy access to local town and maybe within an hour drive to large city (i.e. Fort Collins, Co. Springs, etc.)
If you are sincere about professing to be a conservationist, you should read this: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...al-sprawl.html . The "ranchette" type development occurring in Colorado is not some benign activity. "Rural sprawl" is a big problem. And, if you want a big mountain acreage, you'd better be bringing A LOT of money with you, because that is what it will take--and your ranch will not cash flow from its agricultural income. I'd guarantee that. Harsh reality--sorry. (Former Colorado agriculturalist speaking here.)

Old 06-14-2008, 08:42 PM

I apologize but my intentions are not to further agitate this "rural sprawl" you mentioned. I thank you for including the information. I don't plan on having a ranch with farm animals. Yes I do plan on building a house on the property but for the most part, I would like the land to remain natural. I don't want to cut down trees or bulldoze/plow through hillsides. I would just like to find a large piece of land that I can purchase and hopefully never sell.

I am disgusted by the housing industry here in So. California. My intentions are to purchase land and keep it private and undeveloped. I don't plan on making money off of the land. I'm sorry if I came off sounding like some money grubbing developer.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
I'm looking for large acreage, possibly a couple hundred acres preferrably in Northern CO at the base of the Rockies.
What is your budget?
How far are you willing to be from hospitals, amenities, Wal-Marts, auto service, libraries, etc.?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Well I found a few interesting properties located in and near the town of Red Feather Lakes.

We currently live in a small mountain community with one elementary school, a volunteer fire department, population of approx. 1,000, well water, propane gas, etc. We're currently 30 miles from the nearest hospital and 15 miles into the nearest town. We are used to living with minimal amenities....we like quiet.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Well I found a few interesting properties located in and near the town of Red Feather Lakes.

We currently live in a small mountain community with one elementary school, a volunteer fire department, population of approx. 1,000, well water, propane gas, etc. We're currently 30 miles from the nearest hospital and 15 miles into the nearest town. We are used to living with minimal amenities....we like quiet.
Look familiar?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado