Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:31 PM

31 posts, read 172,594 times

Advertisements

I had cats that were indoor/outdoor in Grand Junction (other side of the mountains from Longmont) and they were fine. I really think that it depends on the area. I was in a quiet neighborhood that was far enough from the wild to be safe from animals and far enough from the busy areas of town and the traffic that comes with that. Now I live in Chicago so I don't let my cat out for obvious reasons. I think you'll just have to wait until you get there to decide whether or not it seems safe to let them out.

I do understand what it's like to have cats that are absolutely miserable if kept indoors all the time. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 02:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post

BTW, I have seen both coyote and foxes in my neighborhood. One fox used to cruise along the sidewalk like he/she was just taking a nice stroll through the hood. Most wild animals I see don't follow the sidwalk quite as well as that fox did.
Same here, in the heart of Denver, between Downing and University and 6th and 1st Avenue. I once saw a coyote chewing merrily on a piece of pizza. The foxes were very respectful of the coyotes, though.

I used to let my cats out, and they both lived to a ripe old age, one 17, the other 20. They did sleep with me at night, they weren't all that nocturnal.

But I don't let my present kitty out. Times change. What was once the norm no longer is.
I don't want my kitty pooping in the neighbor's garden, let alone get carried off by a hungry coyote.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:10 AM

106 posts, read 431,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If you let them go outside they should be fixed.
Unless you're a professional responsible breeder you should have all your cat's and dog's fixed (maybe fish too, but not sure how you'd do that ).

Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Default Yes, I do fix my fish....

I bake them at 350 in foil with a pat of butter... love Tilapia or Orange Roughy swimming in a pool of butter....yummm

s/Mike

Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
Haha Mike!

Hey skigirl - I have lived in Grand Junction too. My cats were indoor cats but I would let them out in the back yard (it was huge) but I would supervise them. I lived on 2814 Bookcliff Ave. and it was really a huge back yard and backed up to the canal.

It was great for the dog and the occasional supervised outdoor visits for the cats. My older boy chased a squirrel under the back porch...cracked me up but I wouldn't have let them be indoor/outdoor pets a lot of the time because my older boy was bitten by a dog back here in Colorado Springs long before I moved to GJ. He had a huge absess on his back that they had to make another hole on the side of his body to drain it. It was pretty disgusting.

After that, the cats remain indoors unless it's with me keeping an eye on them.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 172,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
Haha Mike!

Hey skigirl - I have lived in Grand Junction too. My cats were indoor cats but I would let them out in the back yard (it was huge) but I would supervise them. I lived on 2814 Bookcliff Ave. and it was really a huge back yard and backed up to the canal.

It was great for the dog and the occasional supervised outdoor visits for the cats. My older boy chased a squirrel under the back porch...cracked me up but I wouldn't have let them be indoor/outdoor pets a lot of the time because my older boy was bitten by a dog back here in Colorado Springs long before I moved to GJ. He had a huge absess on his back that they had to make another hole on the side of his body to drain it. It was pretty disgusting.

After that, the cats remain indoors unless it's with me keeping an eye on them.

Oh poor guy. I never had problems like that but then you never know I suppose. The last home I lived at in GJ was on first street between Orchard and Patterson so we didn't let our cats out then. That area of town just has too much traffic, although the older homes there have a lot of charm.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,140 times
I just stumbled upon this thread and I am not from Colorado, but I recently lost a cat from anti-freeze poisoning. I think it was deliberate, and done by a neighbor who doesn't like cats, and always has made it known to me.

I had two cats, both were indoor/outdoor, but they were fixed and just stayed in the immediate neighborhood. I never thought twice about not letting my cats outdoors, as we have a nice back yard with a fence, which they can climb over. You can just see how much cats love the outdoors. It's bad enough that we have to "own" animals, but to deny them something so natural as their freedom to go outside and feel the sun on their backs, well...

I read a couple of posts on this thread that would qualify as "feline-phobic". These people, IMO, have real issues because to dislike a domesticated animal that much is an ugly thing. To you, and others like you I say, what about your barking or howling dogs? And even though most cities have leash laws, I will still find little (or big) presents on my lawn? Or worse, the kids do? At least cats are clean and cover up their messes. We put sand and kitty litter down on the side of our house and trained our cats to use that, which they did.

My cats were both very skittish, and I told my neighbor that if the sight of the cat bothers you (he told me he hated to even look at them) then spray them with the garden hose if they go into your yard. Cats are smart - unlike dogs, they usually learn their lesson the first time and won't go back for more. I'm not bashing dogs, either. I love dogs too, it's just that I have found that those who hate cats usually adore dogs. It's almost like they feel they've had to make a choice between the two species.

Unfortunately, there are too many people like my neighbor, and a couple of the posters on here who have the same tone when they speak about cats. You can sense the irrational hatred. People with such strong negative opinions scare me - you wonder what's going on in their minds and what else they may "hate", but would be reluctant to say it out loud.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM

88 posts, read 312,473 times
I live in Nederland and have 2 dogs and had 2 cats, until 2 days ago. It was a snowy day and my daughter left the door ajar and my older neutered male slipped out by accident. I don't know why he wanted to go out on that particular day, especially since it was so nasty out. The very first night we moved into this house, we were sitting in the sunroom in the dark with a full moon, and a fox came right up to the window. The cats never really wanted to go out after that, until just the other day.

I am 99% certain he was taken by that fox or another one and I am pretty bummed. It was my duty to take care of him and keep him safe, and I let him down.

I've seen coyote nearby and know there are mtn lions that frequent the area as well and am very cautious with my critters. I guess stuff happens, but I really thought I protect him. I am not getting another cat. It is too hard to have them in the mountains.

The house is pretty quiet without him.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
I would like to add my voice to the posters who advocate keeping them indoors. They'll live longer & healthier lives.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

88 posts, read 312,473 times
My cats were inside/outside cats until we moved to Colorado, then strictly inside.

Wish I had noticed he had gotten out sooner, he'd still be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado