Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

Unlike Lamar, Las Animas, and Rocky Ford, La Junta isn't really built along Hwy 50. You really miss this town if you just drive through. I hope a few of my pics give a peek into the appeal this town really has. There again, I didn't spend but about a few minutes snapping some of these shots. I wish we had more time. We had to get home after a nice weekend with the folks. A person from the Chamber of Commerce from LJ Direct Mailed me and thanked me for some of my comments to these Ark Valley towns.

All I can say to that is, You ain't seen nothin' yet. As a former student of Rye High School, I'm usually seen in one of their gyms as the "enemy". Truth be told, my mom went to JH HS back in the day. I think this was when you could swim in Sheridan Lake Little Kiowa County humor. As far as the awesome food out there, another thread for another day. That will take some time. A friend of mine from HS was a doctor out there for a while. Don't know where he's at now but I'm sure he and his family couldn't be far. I'll probably run into him on a bike trail somewhere. I've gotta start workin' off some of the food I've been eatin' lately. Hope you enjoy some of these, but the ones of the town turned out mostly fuzzy and lost more than half of them and it was getting too dark. Maybe we can add some in time and do a lot better job than these;

Onion harvest??

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-08-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
that is so wierd, that little shop in the bottom of the old church... what is it, a convenient store, a restaurant?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't know yet. It looks like there was an incredible tornado that wisked the top of a church building and threw it on top of a small white brick building or something.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM

103 posts, read 395,917 times
Default Old First Presbyterian Church

First of all....McGowdog....thanks for taking the time to snap some shots of the Lower Arkansas Valley while you were here. Like the threads on Lamar, Wiley, Hasty and McClave.

The old First Presbyterian Church was converted to a business in the late 50's/early 60's and is now a video store! I buy items off of EBAY for the local museum and post cards of the old church come up quite often.

Shots before that ....Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site is a great trip.

El Rincon....great neighborhood Mexican Restaurant; Mexico City is not a bad neighborhood Mexican Restaurant, either.

Downtown blocks built in the early 1900's

After that is Post Office...circa 1920.

The sunset is from the bridge over the Arkansas River.

Next time down, you have to catch the Koshare Kiva and Otero Museum, then the dinasaur tracks and Vogel canon.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM

All right! Now we're talkin! Thanks for the info. We will eat at those two places ASAP. I had a breakfast burrito with chorizo in LA or LJ, can't remember where, and it was the best gas station food I'd had in my life! It was very homemade.

I guess LaJunta is a bit of a crossroads too, as you can get from Trinidad to La Junta on Hwy 350 or 160 or "Santa Fe Trail" ... or you can go from Walsenburg to Ja Junta via Hwy 10.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:31 PM

103 posts, read 395,917 times
Default Recent photos of Highway 50 by Norwegian photojournalist

A Norwegian Photojournalist by the name of Trond Soras recently is doing a photo journal on life along the Coast to Coast, Historic US Highway 50. He stopped for an intended overnight in La Junta, and he enjoyed himself so much he stayed for another 2 days.

His blog can be found at www.trondfoto.no/madevisible (http://www.trondfoto.no/madevisible - broken link) Some of the pictures on the blog are from La Junta. The first picture under "untitled" is Don Lowman, volunteer curator at the Otero Museum. The debate pictures are at the La Junta Elks Lodge, as well as Lloyd Mueller, Sr closing the bar at the Elks.

He started in Sacremento and will end his journey in Ocean City, MD.

Just another example of how stopping in a small town gives you a completely different perspective than simply driving through and forming opinions.

Once again, thanks McGowdog for starting the Thread....it has now spread to Norway!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM

296 posts, read 803,107 times
Fabulous buildings. That actually looks like a fascinating place to stroll around in. Gosh, it looks like one could see for miles. How lovely...

Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Lots and lots of cool pics there McGowdog! Been a few years since I've been through La Junta but it's a nice town. Good fishing at John Martin Reservoir east of town, and on 287 a little further east you have the Nee Noshe group with 2 reservoirs on each side of the highway.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Nee Granda and Queens to be exact. Go to my Wiley McClave Hasty thread to see pics of the former. Those three are way down, but still bigger than your average Colorado pond.

Thanks for checkin' them out. I didn't realize I had so many photo threads. After seeing Vegaspilgrims post, I got the idea to put them all in one place. 26 and counting! I must like taking pictures or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado