Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
The reason i was asking is that my fiance is moving to GJ in Jan. What is it like to live there?

I've searched for a few images and it doesn't look typicall green like the rest of Colorado, i know why though its location near Utah.

First, all of Colorado's lower elevations (below, say, 7,000 ft. elevation) are semi-arid to arid. Even in the mountains, there are very few places in the state that get over 30" of precepitation per year. Few locales in Colorado get more than 20", with many, if not most, getting less than 12". Sorry to telll you, too, but green is not "typical" in Colorado most anywhere outside of the higher mountains--and, in some cases, not even in the higher mountains. Most places outside of the mountains that are green are that way because they are artificially irrigated. Outside of the higher mountains, snowcover is also relatively sparse and spotty in the winter--brown is the predominant color for 6-8 months of the year in much of Colorado ("Colorado" means "ruddy" or "reddish" in Spanish). That "winter wonderland" crap that the Chambers of Commerce spout about only really applies to the higher mountain areas.

Grand Junction, in the west central valleys of Colorado, sits in one of the driest, hottest areas of the state. Sorry if that bursts your bubble--it's a high altitude desert there. As I have posted before, you can get climate information at Weatherbase for most any locale in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
First, all of Colorado's lower elevations (below, say, 7,000 ft. elevation) are semi-arid to arid. Even in the mountains, there are very few places in the state that get over 30" of precepitation per year. Few locales in Colorado get more than 20", with many, if not most, getting less than 12". Sorry to telll you, too, but green is not "typical" in Colorado most anywhere outside of the higher mountains--and, in some cases, not even in the higher mountains. Most places outside of the mountains that are green are that way because they are artificially irrigated. Outside of the higher mountains, snowcover is also relatively sparse and spotty in the winter--brown is the predominant color for 6-8 months of the year in much of Colorado ("Colorado" means "ruddy" or "reddish" in Spanish). That "winter wonderland" crap that the Chambers of Commerce spout about only really applies to the higher mountain areas.

Grand Junction, in the west central valleys of Colorado, sits in one of the driest, hottest areas of the state. Sorry if that bursts your bubble--it's a high altitude desert there. As I have posted before, you can get climate information at Weatherbase for most any locale in Colorado.
It hasn't "burst my bubble" im not complaining just that i know the GJ area is very arid. It reminds me of Spain but i like that.

Was just commenting that it's different from the Northern part.

I know its not as green as here but its alot greener than GJ

Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Scotslass, rest assurred that most people who live in the GJ area live here BECAUSE we like the desert and the dry climate. Not everyone likes that "winter wonderland" crap that the Chambers of Commerce promotes.

One of the many reasons I moved to this area is BECAUSE the countryside is NOT like most of Colorado. Like you mentioned, it has more of a Utah flavor in regard to the scenery. I like it like that!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Scotslass, rest assurred that most people who live in the GJ area live here BECAUSE we like the desert and the dry climate. Not everyone likes that "winter wonderland" crap that the Chambers of Commerce promotes.

One of the many reasons I moved to this area is BECAUSE the countryside is NOT like most of Colorado. Like you mentioned, it has more of a Utah flavor in regard to the scenery. I like it like that!
I spend 4 weeks a year in Spain to vacation by the beautiful beach resorts, indulging in their laid back lifestyle and believe me i love the look of the landscape. It reminds me so much of the GJ area. I don't like alot of rain either. Coming from Scotland.

It's all good

Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
It hasn't "burst my bubble" im not complaining just that i know the GJ area is very arid. It reminds me of Spain but i like that.
That's not really true, either. Most of Spain has a Mediterranean climate--with more precipitation in the winter months, and less during the summer. Many Spanish locales also get more precipitation than Grand Junction. Grand Junction's highest average precipitation months are March and August, with the winter months usually being the driest. Grand Junction's average annual precipitation is 8.6"--pretty meager. It may look like Spain, but the climate is really pretty different. You may like the climate just fine, but I kind of think it may be something different from what you are expecting. A lot of transplanted Californians (also a Mediterranean climate) find themselves disappointed by the Grand Junction climate--they think it will be like California, and it's not.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 40,240 times
Default Grand Junction Vicinity

Hi Scotslass,

I've got a few web cams at home:
North and South
but they're mostly pointing upwards to catch the weather.

I also have a phone blog at:
Four Corners Squared
where I'm always posting photos while out and about the valley.

The blog will have some pics on the job, but many as well along the river and other places I hike with my dog.

-Bill

Old 11-27-2008, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That's not really true, either. Most of Spain has a Mediterranean climate--with more precipitation in the winter months, and less during the summer. Many Spanish locales also get more precipitation than Grand Junction. Grand Junction's highest average precipitation months are March and August, with the winter months usually being the driest. Grand Junction's average annual precipitation is 8.6"--pretty meager. It may look like Spain, but the climate is really pretty different. You may like the climate just fine, but I kind of think it may be something different from what you are expecting. A lot of transplanted Californians (also a Mediterranean climate) find themselves disappointed by the Grand Junction climate--they think it will be like California, and it's not.
Mallorca is different from mainland Spain. Even the Madrid area i was at felt different, almost arid and dry. I am not fussed too much of humidity and i can adjust quite well to hot climates with cold winters. I've travelled alot since i was 2 years old and love warmer climates, we don't see many "warm" days here. We're lucky if it gets above 75 in summer. You'll find that many Scots will venture off to Spain, Greece, Turkey for vacations to get a decent tan and relax lol.

I think GJ looks like a lovely place, I love the look of the terrain. It does resemble Madrid but Northern Spain (Near the French border) is quite wet and mild.

Thumbs up from me.

Worst climate was Italy, so hot and humid. Down near Naples in Sorrento (family live there)

Though being that high up does it take a while to adjust?

Old 11-27-2008, 06:15 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Mallorca is different from mainland Spain. Even the Madrid area i was at felt different, almost arid and dry. I am not fussed too much of humidity and i can adjust quite well to hot climates with cold winters. I've travelled alot since i was 2 years old and love warmer climates, we don't see many "warm" days here. We're lucky if it gets above 75 in summer. You'll find that many Scots will venture off to Spain, Greece, Turkey for vacations to get a decent tan and relax lol.

I think GJ looks like a lovely place, I love the look of the terrain. It does resemble Madrid but Northern Spain (Near the French border) is quite wet and mild.

Thumbs up from me.

Worst climate was Italy, so hot and humid. Down near Naples in Sorrento (family live there)

Though being that high up does it take a while to adjust?
You think Naples is humid? That's funny. I have family in Sant'aGata east of Naples as well as Up in Turino, Bari, and Calabria. Nothing compares humid wise to SE Florida and even the North East on a nice summer day.

That being said, I love it here in western Colorado, but I miss rain and weather. It NEVER rains here, and that's a bad thing. Nothing grows besides sage brush and cacti.

We're eying a move back to the North East, namely NH, as I see the water problem here in CO becoming a MAJOR problem both now and in the future.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
You think Naples is humid? That's funny. I have family in Sant'aGata east of Naples as well as Up in Turino, Bari, and Calabria. Nothing compares humid wise to SE Florida and even the North East on a nice summer day.

That being said, I love it here in western Colorado, but I miss rain and weather. It NEVER rains here, and that's a bad thing. Nothing grows besides sage brush and cacti.

We're eying a move back to the North East, namely NH, as I see the water problem here in CO becoming a MAJOR problem both now and in the future.
It was unusually humid that year i was over, even the locals were complaining. I've travelled all over Europe but for some reason it was exceptionally humid but it aint all that bad. Beats the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado