Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 PM

68 posts, read 331,320 times

Advertisements

colorado or any other state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
Well, I was raised in Colorado sooo....I only know about this state for Winter villages.
That said... I think the most beautiful " winter village" would have to be... Breckenridge. Norman Rockwell sort of place.
I LOVE Georgetown during the holidays..very sweet if you will.
Evergreen ( the back roads by bear creek) is awesome and close to Denver.
Vail is and always will be very pretty.
I do love the resort towns ( much to many's dismay!!Haha!)
I live in Canon City (grew up in Denver and spent the majority of my adult life in Aurora (now Centennial).
I have 2 sons ( ten years apart) one graduated from Cherry Creek Schools, the other from Canon City. Both are very successful men!
I do love the smaller town of Canon and, both of my sons want to come back to Colorado!!
I love love love OURAY! Very Greystone castle, cliffy sort of place. I have been blasted for suggesting this wonderful town ( kinda scary if you drive the Yankee Canyon) but.....very worth it IMO!
I grew up in NW Denver ( now called the Berkeley area). I cannot believe it is popular! JMO!!!!! Weird, very weird!
Breckenridge has my vote and, I was just there with my visiting son....he loves it, as do I.!!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:46 PM

68 posts, read 331,320 times
awesome... yes thats been my favorite so far. I love from what I see in pics and Evergreen is mine and my gf's choice right now bc its within commuting distance to denver. Also, we can hit breck on a night off from work which isnt too far away. We will be visiting though

Old 01-07-2009, 02:06 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Another pick for Ouray!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I'd bet that Cuchara is a nice little town in the winter and that Scenic Highway of Legends (http://www.sangres.com/shol/ - broken link).

How about getting Historical and going to the town of San Juan and the Shrine of the Stations of the Cross (http://www.costilla-county.com/stationsofthecross.html - broken link)? I bet it's nice around winter time.

How about Calhan? Has anybody have pictures of that quaint nice little town east and a bit north of CoSprings? I'd especially like to see it around Christmas time.

Steamboat Springs seems like a nice little remote town that you could see from the slopes.

I hate to throw this in there, but Aspen... can be a nice little town to kick back in... if you go in the offseason, which wouldn't be winter, or you have the caysh!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Honorable mention

Ouray, CO for sure. A spectacular setting, and many of the Victorian buildings in town rather nice.

Yes, Breckenridge, CO would be nice. Many of the buildings are attractive, it is well kept, and if any snow in the state they will certainly have their share. Other towns in Summit County such as Frisco, CO deserve honorable mention.

Estes Park, CO can be absolutely enchanting at times. The setting always is. The town itself not as much so, and some of the farther reaches nothing but cheap tract housing (an architect's nightmare). The caveat is that Estes Park seems to be in the rain shadow of the magnificent mountains of Rocky Mountain National Park, so while these peaks will certainly have snow the town proper possibly little. But if a good snowfall and their beautiful Christmas lights lit along Elkhorn Avenue, magical.

Come to think of it, Crested Butte, CO would probably be quite nice. Silverton, CO can seem a world unto itself in a good snowstorm. Telluride, CO would be beautiful. Etc., etc.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
If plastic Tyrolean/Bavarian BS architecture equates to "pretty", there is a long of list of overpriced Colorado resorts that will fit the bill. If "beautiful people" places trip your trigger, there's a ton of hideously overpriced dumps for that.

If, however, you want an isolated, almost-snowed-in, historical place in a spectacular setting, I would say Silverton could be your spot. Just know that the roads may be closed in and out of the place for hours or days at a time, snowslides can run almost to the town limits, and that restaruants and night life equate to about one place in town during the winter. Silverton is authentic Colorado in winter; a lot of the other places are just amusement-park-like caricatures of what some out-of-state promoter thinks that Colorado should be like in winter--a choice of expensive sizzle or real steak.

From the Denver Post a few days ago: Snowy Silverton boxed in - The Denver Post

Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
I adore you Jazzlover but, you're getting on my last nerve!!!GEEZ!!!!!!!
Anyone wanting to really "get away" well.............buy an acre out in the middle of NOWHERE and,....don't tell anyone where you are!!! K?????

Old 01-07-2009, 05:56 PM

123 posts, read 524,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If plastic Tyrolean/Bavarian BS architecture equates to "pretty", there is a long of list of overpriced Colorado resorts that will fit the bill. If "beautiful people" places trip your trigger, there's a ton of hideously overpriced dumps for that.
So true!! Another vote for Silverton & Ouray.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 AM

447 posts, read 1,607,023 times
WOW!! It didn't take long for this thread to get "Jazz'ed up"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado