Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,001 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I are from Texas, Rio Grande Valley, McAllen, We are looking forward to moving to Colorado within the year. We are a young couple, no children, nor plan to have any. We visited Colorado in January and visited Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Canon City. i had never been out of Texas, not counting Mexico, since then, but i fell in love with Colorado. We had a freak snow event in 2004 down here and it was the first time i saw snow. I know what may be involved to live in the snow, but i'd rather be in cold than the unbearable heat we have here 5 months out of the year. Imagine 81 degrees as a low in summer and Humid! I experienced 9 degrees in the morning as the lowest as I was in Colorado and didn't bother me much, anyway, after visiting Colorado, we were here only a week, Pueblo seemed to be a very close splitting image of where we live now, but my wife and i also liked Canon City, closer to the mountains and a smaller city. My question is, if you had to divide pueblo and canon city into four parts NW, NE, SE, SW with the center around the center of town, where would be the best place to live in Canon city and Pueblo. For example, if you chose to move to Mcallen, I'd tell you north Mcallen has better neighborhoods than South Mcallen. Since i probably won't be able to see Colorado till the big move, any expert advice will be helpful. thanks in advance!

Jason

p.s. who gets more snow, less heat in summer, is there a major difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 04:34 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Hi,
My wife and I are from Texas, Rio Grande Valley, McAllen, We are looking forward to moving to Colorado within the year. We are a young couple, no children, nor plan to have any. We visited Colorado in January and visited Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Canon City. i had never been out of Texas, not counting Mexico, since then, but i fell in love with Colorado. We had a freak snow event in 2004 down here and it was the first time i saw snow. I know what may be involved to live in the snow, but i'd rather be in cold than the unbearable heat we have here 5 months out of the year. Imagine 81 degrees as a low in summer and Humid! I experienced 9 degrees in the morning as the lowest as I was in Colorado and didn't bother me much, anyway, after visiting Colorado, we were here only a week, Pueblo seemed to be a very close splitting image of where we live now, but my wife and i also liked Canon City, closer to the mountains and a smaller city. My question is, if you had to divide pueblo and canon city into four parts NW, NE, SE, SW with the center around the center of town, where would be the best place to live in Canon city and Pueblo. For example, if you chose to move to Mcallen, I'd tell you north Mcallen has better neighborhoods than South Mcallen. Since i probably won't be able to see Colorado till the big move, any expert advice will be helpful. thanks in advance!

Jason

p.s. who gets more snow, less heat in summer, is there a major difference?
Canon City here.---Are asking only within city limits or the area of. What is your lifestyle? Do you want a nice yard or live in a townhouse and let someone else take care of your yd etc. How large a home, new, older? How close do you want neighbors? Canon is not as hot as Pueblo and of coarse much smaller. Pueblo is not protected by mts like Canon is and there is a difference in elevation. I am not real sure how to answer you.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:37 PM

sorry it took awhile to respond, but we're looking for a nice sized home between 75-150,000 front yard doesn't have to be big, but a nice backyard with perhaps a deck and nice view. When we went to Canon City it was beautiful and the view is great from where I saw. When we drove in from Pueblo we turned on 9th street and drove around the neighboring homes and my wife liked those style homes. We visited a park on Main Street, Prison musuem and went to Royal Gorge Bridge, we stopped at Wal-mart and ate at Chili's we realized after we came back that there was a nice park in the south of Canon City? During the Weekdays we'd probably most likely stay in town, but haven't ruled out going out to Pueblo on the Weekends, they have what we have here in mcAllen: Movie Theatre 17, jc penney, mall, Olive Garden, chilis, red lobster. We prefer to go out to movies, bowling, miniature golfing, anything else Colorado has to offer, i like to play sports and my wife likes to jog and we both like to bike ride. We don't like the club scene, but like to have fun.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,463 times
For $75,000 - $150,000 you can certainly find a house in Pueblo, but I don't know if you'd consider it "nice-sized" or if there would be any sort of view. In Canon City, I'm not sure you'll find anything under $150,000 other than multi-family units.

Try looking at listings on www.Realtor.com (broken link)
You can search within a city or a single zip code, and can specify a price range. Not every home on the market will be on that site, but a large percentage of them will be.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM

If you turned north then you were in Canon City limits. Did you ever cross the river on the south? If you did you were getting out of the city limits. There is a river walk that runs from a park in South Canon across from the park that you believed on Main St. of abour 8 or more miles east. No parks on Main Street, I believe you probably mean Veterans Park on Royal Gorge Blvd.across and just east of the Territorial Prison---Try this website. It may help with some questions about Fremont County. pcsfremontcounty.com There are several parks in and around Canon. Non are real large. There tennis courts, a skate park. Veterans Park has a stage that has music every week all summer long. Farmers markets, Art shows etc. Recreation Parks

Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM

You're right nadine. the park wasn't on ,main street, it was one street south, it had a long rocket and canon. We saw another park with a bridge and at the time a frozen pond. So if we chose Canon, the south side would be better? and anyone with input of Pueblo would also be appreciative.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You're right nadine. the park wasn't on ,main street, it was one street south, it had a long rocket and canon. We saw another park with a bridge and at the time a frozen pond. So if we chose Canon, the south side would be better? and anyone with input of Pueblo would also be appreciative.
No I did not say that. We are small enough that you really cannot say one spot is better than another. There are no gettos or wrong side of the track sort of thing. There are more expensive home areas now with locked gates, agriculture areas with aceage some small, some larger. Irrigated areas with untreated ditch water, city type living, with houses downtown area. Old areas and new areas. New areas all have some sort of name in the middle of what was a large farm. Might not be more than 4 or 5 homes. They could be mixed in. N, S, E, W does say,more depends on the type of living you like and size and age of home. I don't know how to explain better. The park with the cannon was Veterns Park and the other across the river with the frozen pond was in South Canon. This used to be a town of it own and there are several other areas that were. Not now but some are in the Canon City limits, some are not. Meaning there are different rules for city limit homes than for some other zoning.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM

thanks for the input so far, but we don't want farm living and we do want city living, but not a huge yard, and the distances between neighbors can be about a car lenth would be fine.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
thanks for the input so far, but we don't want farm living and we do want city living, but not a huge yard, and the distances between neighbors can be about a car lenth would be fine.
Again this can be found in many areas around Canon not just in Canon proper. There are several housing projects in most areas. Not right close in to downtown because they have always been built close. But what used to be out of town, farming and just open land are being built into with houses close to each other. Urban sprawl has hit even the small towns. Same with Pueblo. As I am learning no where seems to be safe from it. Some of these homes are very high end, those want-to-castles. But some are homes for ordinary pay checks. Many real nice older homes downtown where you looked. Many have been kept up and remodeled. Those should fall into your budget of $75,000 to 100,500 as should some in other neighborhoods. I believe that some of the newer town-homes fall in that price-range too. Not sure about the monthly maintenance costs tho.

Last edited by Nadine; 03-12-2007 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks alot Nadine! you have been very helpful with Canon city info, anyone with more info on Pueblo please share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado