Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Like what? Give me some examples and I would be more then happy to discuss them.....
I think you are doing a good job but I think you are getting a big following and people are interested in Pueblo, but not too interested in the broncos or sports. That is how I feel.

What I would like to know, if you do not object is the feelings and issues of being gay in Pueblo. You have indicated that you are gay and I think many readers would like to know: Why Pueblo vs. a bigger city where you would find more acceptance. FYI, I am not gay but I think a Gay culture brings much to an environment and having lived and worked in NYC--I know the advantages of a gay people at all levels of society.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
Default Being gay in Pueblo

Ok, that's a good point and I have no problem discussing why I like it in Pueblo being a gay person.

There are two parts to that question 1) Pueblo acceptance of gay people and 2) the size of the gay community in Pueblo.

First the acceptance of the gay community in Pueblo:

I do a lot of volunteer work for the gay Pride and the Southern Colorado Equality Alliance in Pueblo (SCEA) and have found that Pueblo tends to be more accepting of gay people and events then other cities our size or a little bigger. I talk to the people who put on Colorado Springs Gay Pride all the time and we have a much easier time working with our officials then they do theirs. This goes from the city council, who has to approve any street closing, to the public library, where we have a free movie, to the building department, who has to give us permits, to the health department, again they give us permits, to the actual event at the Riverwalk, where they work with us because as they say if we have successful event that means they have a successful event. We have NEVER had a issue and any band I have asked to play at the event has been more then happy. KOAA, KRDO, KKTV and the Pueblo Chieftain has even been great giving us nice and positive exposure of our event.

As far as the citizens of Pueblo, we have our issues just like any city, when I was going to school in San Diego they had hate crimes so unfortunately that is a issue facing the gay community everywhere. With that being said what me and my friends have noticed though is Pueblo seems to be more accepting then other cities our size and even a little bit bigger including the Springs. Our theory is this: Pueblo is not more gay friendly then other cities but the people that live here want Pueblo to be this metropolis and they think like you do about the gay community so they think that by having gays here it makes us cosmopolitan like NYC or San Francisco. Its like "look at Pueblo we have a gay community with gay pride just like the big boys do"!

Now the size of the gay community:

Granted this has been a challenge I admit. Pueblo only has 2 bars and no clubs. One reason I would like Pueblo to be a little bit bigger, I think it would naturally mean a larger gay community. Why do I stay when its small then? Because it is so accepting from the straight community that I can go straight bars with no issue and I have many straight friends who don't care that I am gay. There is also enough of a community so I can do things and Colorado Springs is only a 30 minute drive so when I feel the need to go to a club I just go there and Denver is only a 2 hour drive so if I want to visit a big club I just go there for the weekend. As far as dating it has been more difficult then in a major city but again people in Springs date people from Pueblo and Canon City so in a way that makes our dating pool a population of about 1 million people.

Overall would life be different if I was in NYC or San Francisco or Chicago as a gay person? Yes it would but I think the advantages of living in Pueblo far out weigh the disadvantages and the advantages I would gain from being a gay person and living in a major metro area. Keep in mind I say that as a person who has a MBA from the University of San Diego so I can live anywhere I want and find a good job, I just love my Pueblo and choose to live here.

Other topics about Pueblo:

Going on to talking about other topics, I know I am a dork and things I tend to focus on at times are only of interest to me so if anyone has any questions about Pueblo I have not fully answered I would be more then happy to address them here. If I do not know the answer I will do the research necessary to find the answer and report back. Thanks for all your interest in the city I love!

Note: here is what one of my friends said so I thought I would post it because I liked it:

Because Pueblo is your hometown. It's where your family is, where your life is, and you love it. If the goal is a truly accepting society, then a person should be able to live wherever they chose with the expectation of being accepted, regardless of their sexual orientation, or anything else. Bottom line, you happen to be a gay man who lives in and loves Pueblo. Being gay does not define you, or dictatate where you have to live.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-23-2009 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Excellent response. I really like this statement, it made me laugh:

"...Its like "look at Pueblo we have a gay community with gay pride just like the big boys do"!.."

Yes, being having gay acceptance and gay people defines a city as being very sophisticated. It was always that way in NYC, Paris, Berlin, London etc. Now, small town America is getting the message--that is great.

Thank you for your willingness to share. Continue giving more good info on Pueblo. Remember there are silent readers out there, who are watching, and you can make a good impact on your city. Now, with your gay discussion, perhaps you will attract more creative and energetic people to your city, gay and straight.

Livecontent

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM

This a friendly reminder this thread is about Pueblo not about race relations.......

Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM

One more aspect about Pueblo is the amount of water we have and will have to fully support our cities growth this century. This is a web site I found that discusses the important project to Pueblo, the Fryingpan-Arkansas project, and was seen as important enough that President Kennedy came out for the signing of it and gave a speech at Dutch Clark Stadium in Pueblo.

A link to the web page: http://www.usbr.gov/dataweb/html/fryark.html

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Folks, please stay on the topic

PUEBLO

Thank you

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Default Pueblo

Main street

A high rise in Pueblo!

a highway in Pueblo

Vesta's windturbine plant in Pueblo

Historic train depot

New lake park

Old steel Mill offices

My old high shool

Some pictures of Pueblo!

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-23-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM

162 posts, read 631,100 times
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/oldnavyjag/021.jpg (broken link)
ATT's Call Center and City's Oldest Building!

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/oldnavyjag/012.jpg (broken link)
The Riverwalk's Gateway Park

Both Pictures from Pueblo Convention Center

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/oldnavyjag/GEDC0303.jpg (broken link)
New Downtown Hotel

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/oldnavyjag/016-1.jpg (broken link)
New Eagleridge Area Hotel

More Pictures of Hometown of Pueblo

Last edited by Proleadership03; 02-23-2009 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 PM

Nice pics, I think this is a nice break from just the written description of Pueblo that has been on here. As they say a picture is worth 1,000 words!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,344 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

*delurks*
I just wanted to say a hearty thank you to all posting here.

It is really helpful to be able to read opposing viewpoints and specific examples of why people have formed different opinions. I am taking everyone's posts into account during my decision-making process.

Moving is such a big decision and it's great to hear opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado