Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,010,778 times

Advertisements

Visit in January when winter has settled upon the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 25,476 times
Good idea, Cosmic Wizard, but the transfer would be next month!!! Just in time for your month and a half of summer!! Too bad I won't be in Palm Springs to watch the asphalt melt!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,489,825 times
The great thing about Gunnison winters is that there is very little wind. In fact, the lack of wind is why the ambient temperatures sink so low--the cold air just drains into the valley and stays there. March is usually the windiest month, but even it is not bad. Utilities? The good news is no need for air conditioning in the summer. Summer temps seldom get above 85°, usually 80° or less--summer lows usually into the low 40's or high 30's--did see 21° one time on June 21st--the first day of summer! Winter utilities can be high, especially if your apartment, house, etc. is not well insulated and winterized. $200-$400 per month for natural gas is not unusual at all for even an average size place. Gunnison has actually been getting warmer in the winter over the last 20 years or so. Winter temps the last few years (though '07-'08 was pretty cold according to me friends who live up there) have tended toward highs in the teen's and 20's, with lows down around -10° to -20°--nothing like the 40 to 50 below zero nights I saw some January's and February's when I lived there. One year we went 32 days straight without getting above 0°--and, yes, that's Fahrenheit, not Centigrade.

I still would choose Gunnison in a heartbeat over Steamboat, Aspen, or Vail--all overpriced "cartoon" versions of what Colorado should be--and all full of a bunch of mostly affluent, pretentious, out-of-state trustifarians and other ne'er-do-wells. Gunnison is way closer to being a real town with real people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado