Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM

103 posts, read 395,917 times

Advertisements

I have some aerial pictures of La Junta and the surrounding area that I will post in a few days. I will also post websites, etc. that provide information about the Arkansas Valley.

McGowdog graciously posted some photos back in September (La Junta and Bent's Fort Photo Thread last visited on the 26th of October; a Wiley McClave Hasty Photo thread last visited on the 9th of September and a Lamar Photo thread on the 8th of September.)

We are truly an area of Colorado that is overlooked and under appreciated...new businesses coming to areas (Vestas to Pueblo, Liqcrytech and Bonnie Plants to La Junta, one in Rocky Ford and another in Lamar) friendly people, great schools, low cost of living, close enough to mountains (1hr 40 min to our property in Cuchara), and even close enough to Denver to have season tickets to the Broncos! Not a bad trip to DIA or COS to fly to Vegas to bet the Broncos or the Rockies!

Not to mention that many of us live on the longest coast to coast highway in the US.....the great 3,073 mile long Highway 50 from Sacramento to Ocean City, MD. We are on the Santa Fe Trail and a full service AMTRAK stop at La Junta on the great Southwest Chief to Los Angeles or Chicago. Plus golfers play golf 300+ days a year on at least 7 golf courses beginning at Fowler.

Come down and see the Picketwire Canyonlands with the largest assemblage of dinosaur tracks in North America; see the Rock Art in the Comanche National Grasslands ; visit Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site; the world famous Koshare Indian Musuem, Otero Museum, Boggsville, Sand Creek Massacre site, Big Timbers Museum and Camp Amache National Historic Site; and the list goes on. My apologies for leaving some out!

We will help keep the thread alive and I am confident that folks east, west, south and north will do the same.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-26-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
La Junta -

Welcome to our site! I Cant wait to see your pictures of La Junta, hopefully that inspires people from all over south east Colorado to talk about and post pictures of their cities.

Also, at the state fair last year I was at the La Junta booth and met Liqcrytech, that is a great that you guys are the home for such a innovating company! That is jut one reason why our region is going to be a renewable energy center!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Higher Ed Opportunities in the thread region

The region covered by the thread also includes some great opportunities for Higher Education. Josseppie mentioned the outstanding CSU-Pueblo and other 4 year schools include Adams State in Alamosa and Western State in Gunnison ("just a little" west of Salida) and both are excellent schools offering 4 year and post graduate programs.

Our Community College System in Colorado is excellent and is represented by Pueblo Community College, Trinidad State Junior College, Lamar Junior College and Otero Junior College in La Junta. The last three offer quality athletic and extra-curricular programs in addition to strong academics and the chance to transfer to other 4 year programs in the State.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Agreed, those are very good schools. It would be nice if we could get people from those campuses to post pictures along with information about their schools.

Gunnison, you are defiantly part of our region! I apologize for not meanting you in the opening post.

That brings me to my next point, if you want to talk about a city that is close to our region that does not have a page of their own feel free to do so. Some examples are Leadville, Fountain and Durango.

Perhaps one way to view this thread would be the delivery area of the Pueblo Chieftain?

Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Default re: delivery area

I think the delivery area of the Chieftan sounds good. They do a good job of covering the entire area.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Default We are ready to post

Josseppie, McGowdog, Vegaspilgrim and others....We have some people in the southern areas that are getting ready to post. Would one (or all) of you mind sending me a direct message as to how you post pictures and I will copy and forward to others? I notice the three of you do a great job posting pix, so any help would be appreciated and we'll get some activity from other parts of Southern Colorado.

This will be a great thread for the area, and we will get some pix and information from the colleges and other communities in Southern Colorado up before long.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Default Finally weighing in on La Junta ... Pix next week

Hadn't gotten around to posting information about La Junta. Will do it next week, but for now here's what the Rocky Mountain News had to say today:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/06/griego-economys-down-but-la-junta-isnt/
We'll work on aerial photos, etc. next week.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Thanks for posting that, LaJunta! I'm gonna go back and read the article now.

I can see it's a positive one because the comments section has only one comment and it's a positive one! Very rare in that Denver paper to not have a bunch of flames going on.

Well the positive comment was bringin the fact that it's nice to see La Junta be a fine example with the "I heard there was a recession, but decided not to participate" attitude.

I think it's also an account of the South Eastern Colorado's non-materialistic approach to life that keeps us from living too far above our means and not buying an H2, a boat and two ski doos, a big SUV and having a 5000 sq ft home financed by their 2nd or 3rd on their mortgage.

It's about being robust, chopping wood, carrying water, restoring a 63' Chrysler instead of a 67' Camaro...

Looking forward to pics.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Default La Junta Pictures

As Josseppie and McGowdog have proposed, other areas of Southern Colorado should "weigh in" with some pictures to let forum readers see the "real" Southeast Colorado.

This first picture is from the east edge of town, looking Southwest. To the left you see the BNSF railyards...even can almost tell where the old roundhouse used to be; lower left is the Arkansas river; and the upper edge gives a nice idea how the fertile Arkansas River Valley looks looking back "upstream".

Below is La Junta Middle School, built in 1921 as a high school and renovated/restored at a cost of about 6 million dollars in 1996.

Last in this set is a view of the beautiful Otero Junior College campus, including the world famous Koshare Indian Museum. The round structure is the Kiva where this talented Boy Scout Troop puts on their special shows and ceremonials.

More to come....here's hoping other areas of Southern Colorado will do the same and showcase their great communities.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Nice pics, La Junta! I kind of envy your camera angle. I can't quite get up that tall.

I see that road in the first pic... going off to Trinidad - 350. Then the one cutting straight west is 10 to Walsenburg, right?

So... Rocky Mountain Oyster lunch for $6.50? Yum! Pass the bread and butter!

That town is laid out just like I thought it was; bassackwards! From 50, you see all these train tracks and some old industrial and ag buildings blocking you view from the river and its valley of green trees lining it; then the town is build to the south away from the road that takes you through town from west to east. You really have to drive through town and out to the park to enjoy it.

So tell us more about that museum and your favorite places to dine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado