Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times

Advertisements

Bayfield should be more pick-up truck Colorado than Durango. How much more so, cannot say as never having spent much time there. Moreover, it has surely changed as Durango has, probably becoming more like its larger neighbor with possible commuters and so forth.

It never struck me as having a particularly advantageous location: sort of high and dry and not much more than a wide spot on the road (at one time), versus Durango along a major river, with direct access north into the San Juans, and no lack of scenery. This impression is surely born out by the relative size, importance, and popularity of these two respective towns.

Although to be fair to Bayfield and environs, I believe a view of the San Juans can be had here and there, and in some proximity probably some perfectly fine country to be had. For those thinking Durango is too crowded, it might be just the antidote with more elbow room and lower real estate costs.

The two may be fairly close together, yet probably still with more dissimilarities than that in common. I wouldn't think anyone loving Durango would be all that happy in Bayfield, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM

89 posts, read 149,557 times
Thank you very much.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
One of my ex-bosses lives in Bayfield. He owns a Prius and pickup. He pretty much drives the pickup to move his boat or RV or do chores. He has been happy to live in Bayfield and work in Durango for 30 years. He has a great view out his living room window and got it at a good price back when.

Using one source of housing price data, the city of Durango itself only has about 26% of properties valued at over $300,000, 36% between $200,000 and $300,000. 38% below $200,000. Look at the average price and / or listen to some people and you mostly hear about one part of that reality. But all parts exist. 21% of the homes in Bayfield are over $300,000. City of Durango 5.5% properties over $500,000. Bayfield 4.5%. Big difference? Not really. The fancy homes tend to be in La Plata County. 10% over $500,000 from the entire county, so about 12.5% for the non-Durango, non-Bayfield portions of the county. Is that a lot? Depends on perspective. La Plata County with 2.7% of housing units worth over $1 million. City of Aspen 43%. Most places it is well below 1% but how you react to La Plata County having 2.7% is up to you. Does 1 house in nearly 40 being that expensive make it a place crawling with super-yuppies?

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-26-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky! View Post
My man and I are looking to move to Durango, Colorado around September/ October of this year. We have no jobs or apartment lined up. From researching online we have found it to be expensive to live in Durango. We find that Durango really fits our personalities; we love the mountains, hiking, kayaking, biking, & skiing. Is there anywhere close by that is cheaper than Durango, but a lot like it? We don't need a large apartment, we have a cat, and are looking to pay, at most, $600 in rent. We are visiting Colorado at the end of July to check out some areas. Any information would be appreciated!!
Yeah. Go back in January and see how you like it then.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyj2010 View Post
Hi, gang!

I just caught up on the posts left since my last message. I got too busy actually moving to Durango to talk about it.

Now that we are here, having arrived in early August, I can say that we, my kids and I, really, really, like it here. ... We can't say enough about how much we LOVE the San Juans and the Animas Valley. ... I can tell folks with high school-age kids that there are more education options here than in our county in MD, from an above-average "typical" high school, to an exceptional charter school, to other alternative schools, including a new virtual high school for more non-traditional learners. Both of my teens are happy with their school choices. ... We've found a terrific bicycle store, hiking store, local MD and veterinarian.

The cost of groceries is LOWER than the DC/Baltimore/Annapolis area, even for organic and natural foods. The WalMart is packed all day, every day, and can't keep the shelves stocked. The grocery stores have everything we are used to getting, and almost all of it is cheaper than in MD.

I'm saving on gas, as we just don't have very far to drive to anything -- except the trek every weekend up toward Molas Pass. .... As everyone has said, affordable housing is a serious issue here in Durango. The in-town prices for even modest, small houses, are ridiculous. I think Durango's housing may be even slightly more expensive than our Annapolis location. ... Thanks to all of you for a spirited, entertaining and informative discussion! I'm happy to answer questions, as a Durango newcomer with boots on the ground.
Good to hear that things are going well. As a long-time Baltimoron I understand your remarks about Annapolis prices vs Durango prices. I spent some of my growing up years on the Severn River and know there's a premium to pay for being in superb natural locations.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good to hear that things are going well. As a long-time Baltimoron I understand your remarks about Annapolis prices vs Durango prices. I spent some of my growing up years on the Severn River and know there's a premium to pay for being in superb natural locations.
Spent the weekend on Kent Island/Narrows two weeks ago. Wonderful place and a perfect example of a "desirable" place where you spend a premium to buy a house.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:40 AM

How bad is I-60 Eastbound to Durango in late October? Is there already snow on the road?

I am reading horror stories about Wolf's pass and I-60 snowy bends that already have my knuckes white..

This will not be a fun trip.

I'm guessing AWD Subaru's are recommended for that drive..

Old 09-28-2012, 06:09 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove28 View Post
How bad is I-60 Eastbound to Durango in late October? Is there already snow on the road?

I am reading horror stories about Wolf's pass and I-60 snowy bends that already have my knuckes white..

This will not be a fun trip.

I'm guessing AWD Subaru's are recommended for that drive..
I assume you mean US-160? There are no E/W interstates across southern CO. US-160 is 2 lane across the southern part of the state.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
I assume you mean US-160? There are no E/W interstates across southern CO. US-160 is 2 lane across the southern part of the state.
Sorry, yes that is what I meant.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
IMO, one of the very attractive features of Durango is it's realtively isolated location with NO interstate highway nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado