Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times

Advertisements

^That doesn't even begin to replace the number of high-paying natural resource jobs (coal mines, gas fields, etc.) lost in west central Colorado in the last 6 months. Nobody wants to talk about that, but the losses are there and they are real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 05:44 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^That doesn't even begin to replace the number of high-paying natural resource jobs (coal mines, gas fields, etc.) lost in west central Colorado in the last 6 months. Nobody wants to talk about that, but the losses are there and they are real.
Hey, we have 2 new Del Tacos!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM

289 posts, read 776,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Hey, we have 2 new Del Tacos!
And if it's anything like the one in Pueblo, they only hire halfway house residents!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,354 times
If you love outdoor activities then you will love Grand Junction. All kinds of Summer/Winter activities are available here. The weather is pretty mild compared to Denver for Winter and other desert areas in the Summer.

I moved here for a job and I am a city girl who doesn't do all of the outdoor activities. If like me you like cultural activities, theme parks, diversity in food, shopping and people you may get bored here. Denver is 4 1/2 hour drive through the Rockies so you have to get used to that.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
I didn't read the whole thread but I lived on a temporary work assignment in Grand Junction for 13 weeks and wasn't a huge fan. I loved the Grand Mesa and spent hours hiking/snowshoeing up there but it is still a pretty good drive to get there. The city itself is alright I guess , but has some sort of strange energy to it and was just not for me. It's like a giant suburb that isn't quite small enough to be a friendly town but not big enough to have the advantages of a city.

The redeeming factor of Grand Junction is it's proximity to cool places if you like to take LONG day trips of 1+hour each way. Moab, Gunnison, the San Juans and some other really cool places can be accessed without too much effort, but you won't be doing these things on a frequent enough basis to make it worth it, IMO. I would rather live almost anywhere else in Colorado (besides the front range or eastern plains) if I ever make it back that way again.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
It's like a giant suburb that isn't quite small enough to be a friendly town but not big enough to have the advantages of a city.
You nailed it right on the head.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:38 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
I didn't read the whole thread but I lived on a temporary work assignment in Grand Junction for 13 weeks and wasn't a huge fan. I loved the Grand Mesa and spent hours hiking/snowshoeing up there but it is still a pretty good drive to get there. The city itself is alright I guess , but has some sort of strange energy to it and was just not for me. It's like a giant suburb that isn't quite small enough to be a friendly town but not big enough to have the advantages of a city.

The redeeming factor of Grand Junction is it's proximity to cool places if you like to take LONG day trips of 1+hour each way. Moab, Gunnison, the San Juans and some other really cool places can be accessed without too much effort, but you won't be doing these things on a frequent enough basis to make it worth it, IMO. I would rather live almost anywhere else in Colorado (besides the front range or eastern plains) if I ever make it back that way again.
I couldn't agree with you more. In the 7 years (on and off) that my husband and I lived there, we always felt as though the general vibe of GJ was weird. Not sure what it exactly is, but it just didn't have anything to it. It never felt like a city, never like a small town. It just sort of existed.

The only thing we miss about GJ is the proximity to those cool places. I don't mind driving an hour or so to get to them, especially the Moab area or the San Juans. I miss that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You nailed it right on the head.
Yup, I agree. After having grown up Aurora, a suburb of Denver that I dislike, I definitely felt that way too.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:51 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
^ Is your name delta07 because you used to live in Delta? Delta county is part of the reason I headed out that way in the first place. I researched that there were no building codes in unincorporated parts of the county and wanted to build an alternative style home. I was disappointed when I saw the affordable land outside of delta in person, to say the least , and I am usually a big fan of deserts. Moab, the canyons and the San Juan's still haunt me in my dreams though , but I am definitely not missing Grand Junction itself, not even a little tiny bit.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
^ Is your name delta07 because you used to live in Delta? Delta county is part of the reason I headed out that way in the first place. I researched that there were no building codes in unincorporated parts of the county and wanted to build an alternative style home. I was disappointed when I saw the affordable land outside of delta in person, to say the least , and I am usually a big fan of deserts. Moab, the canyons and the San Juan's still haunt me in my dreams though , but I am definitely not missing Grand Junction itself, not even a little tiny bit.
Nah, I just picked it because it was easy, simple and not taken. I did a lot of work in Delta county with the USFS, but lived in GJ.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. In the 7 years (on and off) that my husband and I lived there, we always felt as though the general vibe of GJ was weird.
well the vibe might be a little odd, but not in a bad way. When my wife and I lived there we found it to be a peaceful and safe place to live. We moved away, not because of anything "wrong" with Grand Junction, but because small isolated towns just aren't our thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado