Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:59 PM

161 posts, read 499,503 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to either Denver, Colo Springs or Ft Collins. Would like to know what the political landscape is in Colorado. Would like to know about Colorado as a whole, as well as the different geographic breakdown, if possible. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,010,778 times
Same as politicians everyhere else. They make promises during the campaign season, then sell out to the highest bidders once they are in office. Party makes no differnece. Liberal or conservative labels make no difference. Third party candidates have less than a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM

48 posts, read 150,877 times
Colorado is traditionally a very liberal state, especially along the Front Range. The eastern areas of the state are more rural and seem to be more conservative. The mountain towns also are fairly liberal too.

That being said, CosmicWizard is spot on. They all sell out!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM

283 posts, read 496,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swcolorado View Post
Colorado is traditionally a very liberal state, especially along the Front Range. The eastern areas of the state are more rural and seem to be more conservative. The mountain towns also are fairly liberal too.

That being said, CosmicWizard is spot on. They all sell out!
I'm well aware that they are all sell-outs, and none does what one promises. I also understand that within city limits, it tends to be more liberal then the suburbs or rural areas. This is pretty much the same in probably 90% of the country. With that being said, is there a city or major town which seems to be more conservative over the other? Thank you.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,480,331 times
Colorado Springs is extremely conservative in fact it is known as the "bible belt of the west".

Old 07-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Colorado Springs is extremely conservative in fact it is known as the "bible belt of the west".
Is it because it is predominately military there?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
Is it because it is predominately military there?
That's a good question and to be honest I am not sure. I know basic Colorado Springs history but when they became as conservative as they are I am not sure. My guess is that having the military helps as most military towns are more conservative but they also have religious groups like Focus on the Family and that is not common in most military cites. I had always thought the religious groups made the Springs conservative but have been told they came to the Springs because it was conservative so I guess my point is I know they are very conservative but I am not exactly sure how it all got started.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That's a good question and to be honest I am not sure. I know basic Colorado Springs history but when they became as conservative as they are I am not sure. My guess is that having the military helps as most military towns are more conservative but they also have religious groups like Focus on the Family and that is not common in most military cites. I had always thought the religious groups made the Springs conservative but have been told they came to the Springs because it was conservative so I guess my point is I know they are very conservative but I am not exactly sure how it all got started.
Do you know how things are in the Denver and Ft Collins area? I would like to avoid the Elitist crowd.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REIRehabber View Post
Do you know how things are in the Denver and Ft Collins area? I would like to avoid the Elitist crowd.
This is just my opinion.

I went to College in Fort Collins and it is a conservative city but not as much as Colorado Springs. However it can be snooty. If you don't like snooty but want to live in northern Colorado you might want to look at Loveland.

Denver is your typical large metro area. The city is more liberal and it has some snooty areas such as Cherry Creek and your typical suburbs like Highlands Ranch. Personally if I was to live in the greater Denver area I would either go downtown or west by the mountains in say Lakewood, by rolling hill country club and Golden.

One more city I will throw in is Pueblo. We are democratic but working class, thus, not snooty at all and very business friendly.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
I would not call Colorado "very liberal". Most years, CO goes for the Republican presidential candidate. In the 29 years I have been here, we've had a mixture of Democratic and Republican governors, and senators. The US reps vary by district. District 2 (I think) taking in the Boulder area traditionally goes Democratic, others are traditionally Republican, including the Ft. Collins area, though they did elect a Dem this last time around. Denver, the city, is garden variety liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado