Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 AM

55 posts, read 114,895 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

We just have had a wonderfull time snowboarding in Jackson Hole / WY.

We now want to go snowboarding in Colorado. Some locals say that we must try the Steamboat spring area. What can you guys recommend us?

We would like to use the shuttle (if possible), so without hiring a SUV, and in walking distance to a town for a beer and an steak.

We wish to go to Colorado in january 2011. Any help or hints are welcome!
Many thanks in advance, like to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton_Rob View Post
Hello everybody,

We just have had a wonderfull time snowboarding in Jackson Hole / WY.

We now want to go snowboarding in Colorado. Some locals say that we must try the Steamboat spring area. What can you guys recommend us?

We would like to use the shuttle (if possible), so without hiring a SUV, and in walking distance to a town for a beer and an steak.

We wish to go to Colorado in january 2011. Any help or hints are welcome!
Many thanks in advance, like to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Rob
Sorry, but you'll need to narrow it down more than that, otherwise you'll just get everyone's $.02 on whatever their personal favorite is. Where are you planning to stay? Where do you plan on taking the shuttle from? What is your budget? Do you prefer more snow or more terrain?

Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 AM

Treedonkey,

You're right!
We are looking for a groomed and if possible less groomed mountain(slopes)
Sometimes we like to go off piste, and go for a funparc.
The budget is enough, but we would like to do this, by using shuttle etc.
In Jackson Hole they have advised us to go to Colorado / Steamboart erae. That's why this question form me. So, we don't want to have only double diamonds, more het must be fun, 30 min from a motel, iff possible, and if there are more slopes / mountain in the nearby area, certain snowfall in january, not 2 crowdy, that would be awesome!
Is this more to the point?
Thanks again!
Rob

Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton_Rob View Post
Treedonkey,

You're right!
We are looking for a groomed and if possible less groomed mountain(slopes)
Sometimes we like to go off piste, and go for a funparc.
The budget is enough, but we would like to do this, by using shuttle etc.
In Jackson Hole they have advised us to go to Colorado / Steamboart erae. That's why this question form me. So, we don't want to have only double diamonds, more het must be fun, 30 min from a motel, iff possible, and if there are more slopes / mountain in the nearby area, certain snowfall in january, not 2 crowdy, that would be awesome!
Is this more to the point?
Thanks again!
Rob
Copper Mtn. is huge, has great terrain, groomed and ungroomed, and has hotels at the base and motels in nearby Frisco and Dillon. It can be expensive at full price (close to $100/day) but I've always been able to find coupons for at least 50% off. I'm not sure about a shuttle there from Denver, but it's right off I-70 so there mus be SOME sort of shuttle. Steamboat is owned by the same mother company, so you can buy a pass that covers both of them, as well as winter park. There is a shuttle to steamboat and lots of amenities in the town there. I have not boarded or ski'd at steamboat but I've heard it can be really good. The snow hasn't been that great anywhere along I70 this year overall... the deepest, driest snow this year has mostly fallen further south in the wet mtn's and the sangre de cristo's. I have heard repeatedly that wolf creek in particular has had excellent snow almost all year. It's a much smaller resort though and I'm not sure what, if anything, you shuttle and lodging options are there.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,128,565 times
FYI, Intrawest no longer owns Copper Mtn. and no one knows if they will have a reciprocal agreement w/them next year.
To get to Copper from DIA you can take Gray Line or CME. Copper Mountain - Ground Travel
CME Airport Ground Transportation: Vail Valley, Breckenridge, Keystone, Aspen, Snowmass.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 AM

Thanks again for your information. What we have heard was that Stemaboot Springs should also be a oustanding area for snowboarding. Is this area situated in the area as described above? Is someone already been to Steamboot before? Or is it in shuttle distance?

Thanks again for your responding!
Rob

Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,128,565 times
Steamboat Springs is in the NW part of the state, not near any of the ski areas mentioned above. As far as I know, there isn't any shuttle service between Summit County and Steamboat. Or do you mean from the Denver airport to Steamboat? You can fly directly to Steamboat from many cities in the US. (Hayden/HDN) Once there you do not need a car.
More info: Steamboat - Official Ski Resort and Central Reservations Website - Steamboat Springs, CO, USA
Finding discounted lift tickets is rare. About the only way to get them is through your lodging. The window price this year is $92 US.
Visit this forum for much more information: The Steamboat Forum • Steamboat Springs Related Discussion Forums

Old 03-19-2010, 05:56 AM

If i understand it correctly, it's better to go to the breckenridge area, then to go up north?

Kind regards,

rob

Old 03-19-2010, 05:24 PM

79 posts, read 288,373 times
Rob, it depends on what you want for your ski trip. Most visitors fly into Denver and drive 2 hours to the area where most of the ski resorts are located.

However, there are some very excellent ski resorts located much farther away from Denver. Telluride and Steamboat, for example. If you want to visit those areas, it is best to fly into an airport nearer to the ski resort. Those resorts tend to be less crowded because they cannot be accessed from Denver via the interstate in just 2 hours. Most people who visit those resorts stay for a week. If you visited Telluride or Steamboat, you would not be near any other resorts. You would spend the whole week at the one resort.

I don't know about Steamboat, but if you visited Telluride you wouldn't need a car at all. The whole town is not very big but it has lots of restaurants and bars. The ski resort is amazing! It has groomed areas and lots of off piste too. There is a half pipe and lots of park features. Lift tickets might be more expensive than the resorts closer to Denver, but Telluride has almost no lift lines most of the time. You can fly into Montrose and take a shuttle 65 miles to Telluride.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 AM

Shellking,

We have had a wonderfull time in Jackson Hole / Wy. Miss it everyday, really!
We now want to check out Colorado, and we are now thinking about the Breckenridge area. We have noticed that Breckenridge area is situated that with a Shuttle, it's is possible to go to Vail and other mountains as well. We are pretty much satified with 'normal ' slopes and an fun parc, not neccasseraly only double diamonds. Therfor, we thought that Breckenridge will be place to go to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado