Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

Provick, I want to thank you for putting up that link. I don't know why we haven't talked about Tom Chapman before on this forum.

There is a lot of info on him when you google in Tom Chapman vs. the USFS. It's not pretty either. I've been aware of his BS for many, many years. There is a difference between profit and extortion. And Chapman is about extortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
And so it goes...

http://www.telluridenews.com/article...9270990686.txt

Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I've only lived here for 6 months and already sick of greedy real estate developers who are raping our resources to make a buck. WHO is going to buy a 25,000 sq foot home in the middle of a desert? This guy is worst of the worst. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
And you wonder why I get twisted off after dealing with those *****s for nearly 40 years, and seeing what they've done to this state in that time.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Yes I do. If I talk to ONE MORE greedy real estate developer, I'm going to scream. IF I do want to buy a home, it will be an established home in the country someplace. NO, I don't want a helicopter pad, a paved road with electric gates and security cameras. I cannot believe the number of closed large gates and security cameras here. In a county with NO crime.

Same thing happened to northwest Arkansas, where I moved from. Greedy real estate developers swarmed in like locusts, bought up as much farm land as they could, sold lots for six figures, stuck people, which I swear was the entire state of California who moved there, with $ half million homes worth about $100,000 now, made their money and left.

Well, here came the traffic, crowds, crime, gangs, meth labs, those stupid LED signs....I was ready to get out.

I am really enjoying the solitude this area offers, and respect and am trying to learn the history of the San Juan's. I'm just in awe at the pioneers who settled this area and what they went through.

Every trail I wander on, or log I sit, I wonder whose footsteps I'm in.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:58 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
In the Canadian parks system such as Banff, Jasper, Waterton (adjacent to Glacier National Park) you will see private property / cabins. These have been grandfathered into the old 100 year lease. They sell for a hefty $ due to supply and demand. The vast majority are passed on from generation to generation. I believe when the lease comes up it goes back to the government.
These are highly prized properties and never become available to the public.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM

447 posts, read 1,607,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And you wonder why I get twisted off after dealing with those *****s for nearly 40 years, and seeing what they've done to this state in that time.
well all argument aside .......I can see some of your anger Jazz, I just feel as though "sometimes" you blame EVERYONE for things like this.........BUT, even the slowest of deaths are too good for him

Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM

447 posts, read 1,607,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Yes I do. If I talk to ONE MORE greedy real estate developer, I'm going to scream. IF I do want to buy a home, it will be an established home in the country someplace. NO, I don't want a helicopter pad, a paved road with electric gates and security cameras. I cannot believe the number of closed large gates and security cameras here. In a county with NO crime.

Same thing happened to northwest Arkansas, where I moved from. Greedy real estate developers swarmed in like locusts, bought up as much farm land as they could, sold lots for six figures, stuck people, which I swear was the entire state of California who moved there, with $ half million homes worth about $100,000 now, made their money and left.

Well, here came the traffic, crowds, crime, gangs, meth labs, those stupid LED signs....I was ready to get out.

I am really enjoying the solitude this area offers, and respect and am trying to learn the history of the San Juan's. I'm just in awe at the pioneers who settled this area and what they went through.

Every trail I wander on, or log I sit, I wonder whose footsteps I'm in.
Thats so funny, because I too do the same exact thing here in Summit Co......Not to brag but only after 2 years here I know soooo much more about the history of this area than people that have lived here 10-20 years...there is so much history here it amazes me, I fell truly bless to live in such a beautiful.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
I wonder if he is from California?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I wonder if he is from California?
I think he's from Paonia.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink A Hollywood solution

This [1] seems reminiscent of what is transpiring with the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. A developer was threatening to desecrate the iconic Hollywood sign in Los Angeles, CA by building McMansions directly adjacent to it.

The mogul Howard Hughes purchased the large parcel of land behind the 'H' of the Hollywood sign in 1940 to build a house for his girlfriend Ginger Rogers, but never proceeded with construction. In 2002 Fox River Financial Resources of Chicago, IL purchased this property from the Hughes estate for $1.7 million.

Fox River was asking for as much as $22 million not to develop this parcel (subdivided to four) but settled recently for $12.5 million. To meet this amount the state of California donated $3.1 million, with additional donations from people in all 50 states, and 10 foreign countries. Mr. Hefner contributed the remaining $900,000 needed.

1) How Hugh Hefner saved the Hollywood sign
(see related articles for more information)
How Hugh Hefner saved the Hollywood sign - The Week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado