Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM

112 posts, read 316,124 times

Advertisements

My husband has recieved some info on a job available in Grand Junction. He seems fond of colorado, and I can tell he'd like us to move there as opposed to some of the other places we have looked at (cleveland suburbs, santa rosa calif). Although I am not too keen on being 4 hours from the nearest major city, I am moreso interested in what it will be like for our children there. We like outdoor activities a bit, but were are not avid outdoor enthusiasts, my kids and I. We get uncomfortable in the heat and wind and will look indoors for activities. I see hiking and sight seeing wearing thin after not too long. That said, what is there for children to do in Grand Junction? They are ages 6, 10 and 14.

Thanks for any insight!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
My husband has recieved some info on a job available in Grand Junction. He seems fond of colorado, and I can tell he'd like us to move there as opposed to some of the other places we have looked at (cleveland suburbs, santa rosa calif). Although I am not too keen on being 4 hours from the nearest major city, I am moreso interested in what it will be like for our children there. We like outdoor activities a bit, but were are not avid outdoor enthusiasts, my kids and I. We get uncomfortable in the heat and wind and will look indoors for activities. I see hiking and sight seeing wearing thin after not too long. That said, what is there for children to do in Grand Junction? They are ages 6, 10 and 14.

Thanks for any insight!
Well, if your not fond of the heat and wind, you probably will not enjoy Grand Junction during the spring (windy) and summer (hot). In terms of indoor activities for kids, there isn't much. I lived (7 years) and taught elementary school (2years) in GJ and it was a struggle to find field trip opportunities unless it involved hiking or the local history museum (which is pretty small). If your kids are into sports, GJ is huge for this. However, if you prefer museums, zoos, theater, etc. you are going to be hard pressed to keep yourself busy during the dog days of summer.

Take a look at the Museum of Western Colorado for an idea of "cultural" opportunities in GJ. Dinosaur expeditions, educational programming and historic and cultural trips and tours | Museum of Western Colorado

Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM

79 posts, read 288,079 times
Gj has a swim team that uses the new indoor pool at Mesa State. There is Kidzplex for gymnastics, camps, and play-place activities. The dinosaur museum in Fruita would be fun for the younger one. There is a nice public library. Cross Orchards Historic Farms in outside, but not hiking, and it has a nice summer camp. There are also soccer leagues, little league, etc. Bananas Fun park is a small family fun type park (it has a website) and there is the Glacier indoor ice rink with lots of activities. There is a large Barnes and Noble bookstore and a new large (14?) movie theater. There is also a bowling alley. I'm would assume there are also dance studios, although I don't know them offhand.

What kinds of things do you and your children do on the weekend where you currently live? If you go to the Mall, then the Art Museum and then out to a 5-star restaurant followed by the theater -- you won't find that in GJ. But if you hang out with your friends, let the kids play in the back yard or listen to music while they txt each other and then have a family BBQ -- well, you can that in GJ.

The list seems incomplete without listing stuff that you may not enjoy. Just because it may be the best part of living in GJ: biking, fishing, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, xcountry skiing, rafting, . . .

Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,779 times
I concur with what Delta07 said about wind. Though the wind has been continuing beyond spring these days(for months on and off). As far as the major heat goes, it only last for a couple of months. There are activities that you can sign your kids up for in the summer. They have a place called The Art Center and The Butterfly Pavilion were they have activities for kids. They also have Gj park and rec that has activities. The only thing is that once they start getting into their teen years, there is not as much to choose from as far as summer activities go.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks to all of you for this information. Sounds like it won't be ideal for us,
but it doesn't sound intolerable either. It would help if a major metro area were closer...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylona View Post
It would help if a major metro area were closer...
I like Grand Junction and think its a nice town but you hit the nail on the head. Because of their isolation from any large city, especially the Front Range Urban Corridor, it limits what they can become in the future.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Grand Junction is a family-oriented town. Kids are a primary focus for many couples and families around the area.

There's a LOT of emphasis on sports. I would say this is, by far, the primary activity for kids in the area. Many kids participate in local school and league teams.

There are also two bowling alleys that are a big draw and an amusement park with go carts, games, batting cages, etc..

Many parents here encourage their kids to be involved with friendships.

I don't think your kids will have an issue. To be honest, the question is whether you will be bored here. There's much less of things for an adult to get involved in.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,954 times
I love living in Grand Junction, and I grew up in Chicago. A few years ago I thought about leaving, and quickly changed my mind. Here are all the things I love about it:

It's beautiful--surrounded by mountains, yet a mild climate for the most part.
Gets snow, but not too much. You can drive to the snow if you want that.
Colorado National Monument--beautiful place, great hiking, wonderful views
Bike riding--both mountain and road biking
A very generous, giving community that donates to many causes
Rocky Mountain Health Plans--being touted as the best example of keeping costs down--and a blueprint for the rest of the country
Four wonderful seasons--a fairly mild winter (although not this year), long, gorgeous spring with incredible flowering fruit trees, hot, dry summers but great summer evenings, no mosquitos, chiggers, or flies to speak of (although occasionally some impressive spiders), and an incredibly beautiful fall that lasts through October.
Great skiing at Powderhorn Resort and hiking on the Grand Mesa
For kids--Little League, Bananas Fun Park, Dinosaur museum, art programs, great theater programs in the high schools and college, Grand Junction HS is winner of the Knowledge Bowl contest for 5 years running.
Very safe community--safe for kids, little crime, almost no natural disasters happen--no tornadoes, hurricanes. Some chance of flooding near the Colorado River in the spring or if a major thunderstorm hits in August, but very rare.
Lots of fun festivals in town--Art & Jazz Festival, Wine in the Pines, Oktoberfest, Southwest Fest, Arbor Day festival, Fat Tire Festival, Mike the Headless Chicken Festival (look that one up--its way fun for kids), Cinco de Mayo, many more
Art--tons of art related events, lots of public art downtown, the Art Center with classes for children and adults
Music--some very local talented musicians, and quite a few groups make this a stop on their way between Denver and Salt Lake.
It's just a great place to live. I'd jump at the chance to be here if I were you.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM

thank you all for the useful posts

Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 PM

51 posts, read 154,802 times
I don't agree that we have any sort of "mild" climate or a long spring or fall. I've lived on the western slope my entire life and, if you're lucky, you get a month and a half of tolerable weather in the springs and falls and then it's too cold or too hot. There is definitely a period of a couple weeks where you're turning your heater on in the car in the morning as you drive to work but on the drive home you're rocking the A/C. That's part of living in the desert--we have to deal with the temperature extremes that come with our nice 0% humidity.

Grand Junction had some practical stuff for kids when I was younger that I sure miss. I remember visiting the Doo Zoo children's "museum" (more like a big playhouse, really), the roller rink, and of course Fun Junction amusement park. We don't have any of those anymore. Affordable family fun is hard to find here now. Bananas is nothing more than a glitzy chain-style venues where you can play a game of laser tag for $5 a run (no, seriously) or end up shelling out like $60 for a family to have access to the amenities. Kidzplex is fairly reasonable but it's more for younger kids (it's like a big McDonald's playland). For tweens who aren't sport-lovers there's not much at all.

There is a Drive-In movie theatre in a small town about 40 minutes away that we enjoy taking the kids to. There are a few public pools, one of which has a cool waterslide. There's a botanical garden that is a bit boring and overpriced but it has a free day once a month and is situated right at the riverfront. I'm not a really outdoorsy person either but it is fun to take short walks with the kids in those types of areas and let them explore Mother Nature a bit.

Anyway it sounds like you aren't too keen on coming here...if you want a bigger city, this is definitely not for you. I love the small-but-not-too-smallness of Grand Junction. We're actually looking at moving to Pittsburgh and I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle the lack of sunny days...this long, weird, winter has almost driven me nuts and I'm pretty sure this would be nothing compared to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado